Newby, first time tips and questions...

SailonSavy

Hello ALL!!

My husband and I will be boarding our first cruise on the Crown Princess to Mexico in just 14 short days. We recently had a baby (4 months ago) and this is our WE DID IT get away. 7 days. Driving from San Diego to San Pedro. We have questions about process....

1. What time should we get there? We have early boarding in a mini suite on emerald deck?

1a. Anyone ever stayed in a mini suite? E725?

2. What should we be prepared for with security? Is it airport intense? No liquids, take of shoes, pat down and long lines? I'm not a good travler so I must know

3. Ship etiquette? Do's? Don'ts?

4. Explain Room Steward?

5. Dress attire?

Any information on the whole process would be amazing. I'm a planner so I like details....

You will find a lot of answers in this sub-forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Liquids through security are OK, except if it's booze. Wine, sodas, etc. are fine. Security will confiscate any alcoholic beverages if packed in your checked baggage. A $15 per bottle corkage charge is assessed for any bottles of wine over one per person (so the two of you can take one bottle each without charge).

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

You will not get priority boarding with a mini-suite, only full suites. Check-in will typically start between 10:30 and 11:00. That is when we arrive. The earlier you check-in, the earlier your boarding group will be called. Boarding will start around 12:00 and after full suites, elite, platinum and those needing wheelchairs have boarded they will start general boarding by boarding group. Once you have boarded, drop off your carryon bags in your cabin and go to the Da Vinci DR mid ships on Fiesta deck 6 for lunch from 12:00 to 1:30.

E725 has a fully covered 7'x9' balcony and you can look straight down to the water. I prefer the covered mini-suite balconies to the fully uncovered balconies on Dolphin deck.

Cruise lines use airport style scanners and you will need to empty your pockets, but your shoes stay on. Among other items, they are looking for liquids and any alcohol other than wine will be confiscated.

There is plenty of parking at the San Pedro cruise port at a cost of $16/day.

Your room steward is the one who takes care of your room. They will clean your room and change towels and sheet in the morning. In the evening they do a turndown service, refresh towels and leave a small chocolate on your pillow. Both times they should add ice to your ice bucket. They can also get you wine glasses for your room. Since you are in a mini-suite you do get a welcome glass of champagne (and it has been better quality lately) at embarkation and your steward will provide that for you. If you want any clothes cleaned or pressed they will take the bag from your room and return your clothes. There is a price list for laundry and it is not cheap. They will also drop of the copy of the next day's Patter (list of events) at night.

The website provides information about appropriate attire.

Enjoy your cruise!

It's not like an airplane...you can take all the liquids you want...they know you'll have your shampoos, lotions, etc...while on the ship!!!

There is no "ship etiquette"....just common courtesy, like anywhere!!!!

Cabin Steward or attendant is housekeeping...like a maid in a hotel....

Hopefully, you've read up on your ports....your time ashore will greatly benefit!

You'll have fun..some couple's time away from baby! Enjoy!

Hello #1between 11:30 and 3:30 mini suite is very nice a great choice #2 security is not as bad as airport, but they do check for booze. #3 relax and enjoy your self. #4 Room Steward is very helpful they clean your room, and they do it when you leave the cabin, they clean it morning and night. #5 Dress like you would when go out to a upscale restaurant.:);)

Hello ALL!!

My husband and I will be boarding our first cruise on the Crown Princess to Mexico in just 14 short days. We recently had a baby (4 months ago) and this is our WE DID IT get away. 7 days. Driving from San Diego to San Pedro. We have questions about process....

1. What time should we get there? We have early boarding in a mini suite on emerald deck?

1a. Anyone ever stayed in a mini suite? E725?

2. What should we be prepared for with security? Is it airport intense? No liquids, take of shoes, pat down and long lines? I'm not a good travler so I must know

3. Ship etiquette? Do's? Don'ts?

4. Explain Room Steward?

5. Dress attire?

Any information on the whole process would be amazing. I'm a planner so I like details....

I strongly recommend you look through the Princess website about "life on board." Many of your questions that you'll have between now and the sailing date will be answered there.

I'll try to answer some of your questions: as stated above, you won't be getting any special perks for your minisuite. Usually it's okay to arrive around 11 or so, no matter what the email you may get tells you (the last three cruises, we've been told to arrive after 1pm, but we ignored that and never been told we were too early).

When you get off the Harbor Freeway, make sure to be in the center lane and then you'll drive across Harbor Blvd into the World Cruise Center. Follow the other cars past the guard booth -- there will be a sign telling you which berth your ship will be at, but you'll be able to see it from a distance.

You can go up to that berth and passengers and luggage can be taken out, and then the driver (you or your husband will drive back down to the nearby parking lot...either walk back up or if there's a shuttle -- I'm not sure if they still have it -- will take you back). Pass off your checked luggage to a porter (with some cash), go into the terminal. There should be a counter near the entrance with the health forms to fill out.

Then you get into the appropriate line. You're not platinum or elite so find the line for your deck level. At the counter, you'll be asked for your passports, a credit card (you can have both your accounts on just one if you wish) for your on-board spending. You'll be given a boarding number and then sent through security. No taking off of shoes...you will need to remove metal objects and put into a container, along with any carry ons to be placed on the conveyor belt (so all that needs to fit through that screening device).

You'll be sent off to the waiting area until your number is called. At that time, have your photo ID, boarding info, cabin card out to show the person at the door. Then you'll walk outside, get your official embarkation photo taken with your husband (there's no charge for any photography to be taken and it'll be your choice if you want to purchase any of the photos). After that, before you actually step onto the ship, each passenger will have a special photo taken that will be embedded into your cabin card -- so it's mandatory to take this one.

Once on board, a crew member will look tell you which deck is your cabin and point you to an elevator. You can go to your cabin (many cruiselines will make you wait to do this, but on Princess, your cabin should be ready), and there, check out your cabin (make sure faucets, toilets work, that you have life jackets for each of you -- when your child goes on his/her first cruise, there will be a child sized one too). Around this time, your cabin steward may stop by to introduce him or herself. A card will be on the desk with his name.

You can unpack your carry ons (your luggage will show up sometime between then and dinnertime) then. There will be the first day Patter in the cabin -- it lists a lot of info including what activities are going on at any one time.

Usually people will grab their cameras and sunscreen and start checking out the ship. Lunch will be available (there may be a main dining room open but only til 1:30) at the Horizon Court (the buffet), the International Cafe (go to the Plaza level midship, which is called the Grand Atrium/Piazza...the IC will be the set of display cases with yummy food that is included in your fare). Also the pool side pizzeria and grill will be open.

Around 3:30 or so (it'll be in the Patter), a mandatory muster drill is given. The location for you to go to, carrying your life jackets, will be indicted on the back of your cabin door. It usually is a lounge on the Promenade deck -- it's always inside. Your cabin card will be scanned and hopefully you'll get there early enough to get a seat. A PA will explain what you need to know and you'll get to try on the life jacket. After that, fold up the jacket, tying in the straps so they're not loose, and return them to your cabin

After that, passengers often will go up on deck for sailaway.

The cabin steward will oversee the cleaning of your cabin and if you need something -- like ice for your minifridge (each cabin has one), more towels, a robe, etc., you can ask. Just remember that on the first afternoon, he'll be pretty busy getting all of his cabins ready.

The dress code is listed on the Princess website. In the main dining rooms (you'll have either early traditional, late traditional, or anytime dining), it's the same dress code and menu. Some nights will be smart casual (no shorts, any jeans need to be really nice -- think about what you'll wear to a nice restaurant). My hubby wears a tropical shirt and slacks, I might wear a sundress. Formal nights -- a bit dressier, but it's the maitre'd that decides that. Some might require men to wear a jacket, some don't. Think what you might wear to a wedding. You can go even fancier -- some men wear tuxes and women wear glitzy gowns. I go with cocktail length, LBD, that kind of thing.

Dress code in the Horizon court is no wet bathing suits (and wear a coverup if in a bathing suit) and wear something on your feet. You might see shorts at one table and evening wear at another for dinner. Not kidding.

If you eat in a MDR for breakfast or lunch, shorts and other casual wear is fine.

Things that are a little harder to learn....

If you own stock in Princess' parent company an submit the appropriate paper work, you get an onboard credit based on the length of your cruise.

If you purchase a "future cruise certificate" while on board, you'll get an onboard credit on your next cruise (again, amount based on length of cruise)

If you use a Princess credit card to book your cruise, you get an on board credit

If you are a veteran and submit appropriate documentation in advance, you get an onboard credit

These can all be "stacked," that is you can get all that you qualify for!

Since you are celebrating and have a nice mini-suite balcony, I would suggest you consider the Ultimate Balcony Dinner at $100/couple. They set up a table on your balcony and you have a dedicated waiter to serve you a multi course dinner of hors d'oeuvres, salad, quiche, filet and/or lobster and dessert. It also includes a cocktail and a half bottle of sparkling wine, flowers and a photo taken by a ship's photographer.

I strongly recommend you look through the Princess website about "life on board." Many of your questions that you'll have between now and the sailing date will be answered there.

I'll try to answer some of your questions: as stated above' date=' you won't be getting any special perks for your minisuite. Usually it's okay to arrive around 11 or so, no matter what the email you may get tells you (the last three cruises, we've been told to arrive after 1pm, but we ignored that and never been told we were too early).

When you get off the Harbor Freeway, make sure to be in the center lane and then you'll drive across Harbor Blvd into the World Cruise Center. Follow the other cars past the guard booth -- there will be a sign telling you which berth your ship will be at, but you'll be able to see it from a distance.

You can go up to that berth and passengers and luggage can be taken out, and then the driver (you or your husband will drive back down to the nearby parking lot...either walk back up or if there's a shuttle -- I'm not sure if they still have it -- will take you back). Pass off your checked luggage to a porter (with some cash), go into the terminal. There should be a counter near the entrance with the health forms to fill out.

Then you get into the appropriate line. You're not platinum or elite so find the line for your deck level. At the counter, you'll be asked for your passports, a credit card (you can have both your accounts on just one if you wish) for your on-board spending. You'll be given a boarding number and then sent through security. No taking off of shoes...you will need to remove metal objects and put into a container, along with any carry ons to be placed on the conveyor belt (so all that needs to fit through that screening device).

You'll be sent off to the waiting area until your number is called. At that time, have your photo ID, boarding info, cabin card out to show the person at the door. Then you'll walk outside, get your official embarkation photo taken with your husband (there's no charge for any photography to be taken and it'll be your choice if you want to purchase any of the photos). After that, before you actually step onto the ship, each passenger will have a special photo taken that will be embedded into your cabin card -- so it's mandatory to take this one.

Once on board, a crew member will look tell you which deck is your cabin and point you to an elevator. You can go to your cabin (many cruiselines will make you wait to do this, but on Princess, your cabin should be ready), and there, check out your cabin (make sure faucets, toilets work, that you have life jackets for each of you -- when your child goes on his/her first cruise, there will be a child sized one too). Around this time, your [b']cabin steward[/b] may stop by to introduce him or herself. A card will be on the desk with his name.

You can unpack your carry ons (your luggage will show up sometime between then and dinnertime) then. There will be the first day Patter in the cabin -- it lists a lot of info including what activities are going on at any one time.

Usually people will grab their cameras and sunscreen and start checking out the ship. Lunch will be available (there may be a main dining room open but only til 1:30) at the Horizon Court (the buffet), the International Cafe (go to the Plaza level midship, which is called the Grand Atrium/Piazza...the IC will be the set of display cases with yummy food that is included in your fare). Also the pool side pizzeria and grill will be open.

Around 3:30 or so (it'll be in the Patter), a mandatory muster drill is given. The location for you to go to, carrying your life jackets, will be indicted on the back of your cabin door. It usually is a lounge on the Promenade deck -- it's always inside. Your cabin card will be scanned and hopefully you'll get there early enough to get a seat. A PA will explain what you need to know and you'll get to try on the life jacket. After that, fold up the jacket, tying in the straps so they're not loose, and return them to your cabin

After that, passengers often will go up on deck for sailaway.

The cabin steward will oversee the cleaning of your cabin and if you need something -- like ice for your minifridge (each cabin has one), more towels, a robe, etc., you can ask. Just remember that on the first afternoon, he'll be pretty busy getting all of his cabins ready.

The dress code is listed on the Princess website. In the main dining rooms (you'll have either early traditional, late traditional, or anytime dining), it's the same dress code and menu. Some nights will be smart casual (no shorts, any jeans need to be really nice -- think about what you'll wear to a nice restaurant). My hubby wears a tropical shirt and slacks, I might wear a sundress. Formal nights -- a bit dressier, but it's the maitre'd that decides that. Some might require men to wear a jacket, some don't. Think what you might wear to a wedding. You can go even fancier -- some men wear tuxes and women wear glitzy gowns. I go with cocktail length, LBD, that kind of thing.

Dress code in the Horizon court is no wet bathing suits (and wear a coverup if in a bathing suit) and wear something on your feet. You might see shorts at one table and evening wear at another for dinner. Not kidding.

If you eat in a MDR for breakfast or lunch, shorts and other casual wear is fine.

Excellent post for all newcomers to Princess. Thanks for taking the time to reply to the OP.

I like to arrive at the ship around 2pm. If you get there before 1pm, you end up doing a lot of waiting on the pier. I don't like waiting, so I arrive later. If I get there after 2pm, I can usually walk right on to ship, after I check in.

Also, the room will be ready by then. Sometimes, if you board early, you have to wait for your room to be ready. This can result in you waiting around in some public area of the ship with all your carry-on type luggage.

I like to arrive at the ship around 2pm. If you get there before 1pm, you end up doing a lot of waiting on the pier. I don't like waiting, so I arrive later. If I get there after 2pm, I can usually walk right on to ship, after I check in.

Also, the room will be ready by then. Sometimes, if you board early, you have to wait for your room to be ready. This can result in you waiting around in some public area of the ship with all your carry-on type luggage.

In all five cruises on Princess, we have never had to wait to go to our cabin (back when we were going on Carnival from 1994 to 2002, the same) and we always get to the port by 1pm and usually up to two hours before that.

One point of etiquette that I did not understand on my first cruise. If you have traditional dining and are sharing a table, be on time for dinner, and let your server know if you plan on eating elsewhere for an evening. Usually the server will not start taking orders until all members of the table are seated, so you will be making the group wait if you are late or a no show. It is also considered bad form to go to anytime dining if you have one of the traditional dining times.

I hope you have a most excellent cruise.

One point of etiquette that I did not understand on my first cruise. If you have traditional dining and are sharing a table, be on time for dinner, and let your server know if you plan on eating elsewhere for an evening. Usually the server will not start taking orders until all members of the table are seated, so you will be making the group wait if you are late or a no show. It is also considered bad form to go to anytime dining if you have one of the traditional dining times.

I hope you have a most excellent cruise.

I wish TAs would let new cruisers (or those new to Princess, at least) know that you are assigned to traditional or anytime. We started cruising before flexible dining was introduced so we understood this off the bat but others may not know. And if a TA doesn't know this, surely they must be selling a lot of cruises on many different cruiselines and should endeavor to learn such a basic facet of cruising.

Also it might behoove Princess to indicate this better too (in the pre-cruise dining email and on the first day Patter).

As for being on time, maybe an additional sentence on the dining email to the effect that if you have assigned (traditional) dining, please be considerate of your fellow diners and arrive at your table by -----.

In all five cruises on Princess' date=' we have never had to wait to go to our cabin (back when we were going on Carnival from 1994 to 2002, the same) and we always get to the port by 1pm and usually up to two hours before that.[/quote']

You may be correct. I may be thinking of a couple of Norwegian cruises, in which I definitely had to wait for the cabin to be cleaned. At any rate, I know that I had some very long waits in San Pedro, before I was allowed to go aboard Princess ships. I don't know if it was Princess or the terminal employees that held things up, but once I discovered the ease of boarding with a later arrival, I have not arrived early in many years. Since I lived near San Pedro at that time, I had the luxury of timing my arrival to my best advantage. If you are flying in, then there is not much control you have over your arrival time.

Another point of etiquette--don't hog chairs in public areas. This includes poolside, the piazza, etc. Basically, your shoes don't need a chair by the pool. If you plan to swim, your family doesn't need to claim 2 chairs while you are in the pool. When you are ready to sun bathe, grab chairs.

Most people understand the idea of leaving "stuff" for 5 minutes while you run to the bathroom or grab some food. But remember that there are a lot more people than there are seats in public areas...if you're going for more than a few minutes, take your stuff along and find a new seat when you return.

Princess cabins are ready when they start boarding at noon. You can always go directly to your cabin. No cabin call or first to the fun. No lugging around your carry on in public areas. There have been a few times when the entire cabin set up was not ready for example the mini bar and robes, but bedding and bath areas were indeed ready.

One word of caution, bring something warm to wear. I have been on many of these Mexican Riviera cruises, and there are always a bunch of people who are surprised how cold it is during the first couple of days and last couple of days.

You will not get to warm weather until you pass the tip of Baja California. After that it will be warm, maybe even hot, but those "at sea days" between LA and Cabo will be cold - you won't have trouble finding a lounger by the pool on those days!

One word of caution, bring something warm to wear. I have been on many of these Mexican Riviera cruises, and there are always a bunch of people who are surprised how cold it is during the first couple of days and last couple of days.

You will not get to warm weather until you pass the tip of Baja California. After that it will be warm, maybe even hot, but those "at sea days" between LA and Cabo will be cold - you won't have trouble finding a lounger by the pool on those days!

That is a very good point, especially for people who have only cruised the Caribbean from FLL where it is typically warm from the start of the cruise. The water temperatures are much cooler along the California coast and Baja and it often is windy and cool/cold on deck until Cabo. Every once in a while it will be swimsuit weather the first and last day, but not often. We had a similar experience out of Galveston where it was quite cool on deck until we reached the Yucatan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all the comments and advice. Super helpful. I'm not being lazy, I've searched and researched. Read the princess website but I'm not looking for words I'm looking for personal experience and recommendations. Thank you all!!! We leave Saturday. Soooooo excited.