Cashing Personal Checks Aboard

Hazed Gray

We will be taking an Asian cruise next year on Sapphire Princess, which visits six different countries. Will the front desk cash my personal checks for both US dollars and the six other currencies? Need to know whether to bring small amounts of all six currencies with us, or plan to get on ship before landing. Using ATM's is great if you can find one, but given limited time ashore, prefer to be prepared in advance!

Unless things are different in Asia, Princess no longer does any currency conversion at the purser's desk. For ships outside North America there are ATM-style machines on board that convert $US to the various local currencies. Likely you will get a better rate with lower fees at a bank you have an account with at home--I know Wells Fargo waives fees for customers with preferred accounts and/or exchanges of $1000 or more. Best to plan to either bring currency or find ATMs.

Edited by fishywood

Unless things are different in Asia, Princess no longer does any currency conversion at the purser's desk. For ships outside North America there are ATM-style machines on board that convert $US to the various local currencies. Likely you will get a better rate with lower fees at a bank you have an account with at home--I know Wells Fargo waives fees for customers with preferred accounts and/or exchanges of $1000 or more. Best to plan to either bring currency or find ATMs.

I disembarked Diamond 2 days ago and they were still doing currency exchange

I disembarked Diamond 2 days ago and they were still doing currency exchange

OK now that I think it through those machines may only have been installed on the US-based ships for when they summered in Europe. Still best to buy your foreign currency at home; a bank you regularly deal with should also be willing to buy back any leftover currency at a reasonably close rate to what they sold it at and with no minimums.

Normally if you require local currency you just ask for some at the pursers desk. If they stock it they tell you how much you are getting for a set number of dollars or vice versa if you prefer. Then you sign for it. You settle the account at the end of the cruise. Not necessarily the cheapest or best way to obtain foreign currency but it is a way to do it.

Regards John