Holland America Line Unveils Suite Refurbishments, New Amenities

LauraS

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your response with the link. Very much looking forward to boarding the Oosterdam next May and experiencing this lovely ship.

Sandy :)

• 2 weeks later...

OH, no!!!! Look at the new floor plans of the Signature Suites! Do NOT like the fact the desk is closed off from "the view." I LOVE the fact in the SS rooms you have a desk that looks out over the verandah! Looks to me like the new floor plans have isolated the sofa, etc. in the verandah suites too...I don't like that...like one big room...not chopped up...what do others think?

The Vista Suites now will have more "interior" sofa/chairs...don't think this is going to work for a lot of us.

I DO like the new interior decor, though...very much. The photo of the Signature Suite does not show the same layout as the schematic for the floor plan though...not sure what is going to really happen.

Edited by janmcn

Unfortunately, I find the new floor plans disappointing. I agree with Jan that the desk is ill placed in the Signature Suites and the suite now has the appearance of being smaller. The Neptune Suites also seem to be more about additional bath space and not the lovely spacious suites we have enjoyed in the past. Because more bathroom space has been added, closets are now taking part of the living space and cabinet area next to sofa. Although it is time to upgrade the sofas, the new floor plan does not seem to be an improvement to the current one. For us, Neptune Suites have been one of the big pluses for HAL and we will be sorry to see them change, not for the better.

Our first cruise was on the Zuiderdam so was sure I knew what the layout would be for the SS cat on the Oosterdam. Thought the updated look was very fresh but hadn't looked at the floor plan until it was mentioned here. Not as enthused now. What does one believe, the photo or the floor plan?

I wouldn't worry about what the floor plan shows. I think that the photo is more correct than a computer generated 3-d drawing.

It is possible that the photo has also been computer generated. What I find interesting is that the SS cabin floor plan is same as is on the new ship...the Koningsdam. HAL may be copying the design on the upgrade of the Vista class ships.

Here's a link to a photograph for cabins on the Koningsdam. http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/staterooms/signature-suite The link does go directly to the signature suite plan but other cabins can be accessed by clicking on the class of cabins.

If this is the same blueprint for the retrofit on the Vista class ships, everything should look very fresh and I'm coming around to the layout. The decor does give a very relaxed feel to the environment. Very much looking forward to seeing the cabin firsthand.

Sandy :)

The photo of the Konigsdam Signature Suite just makes me definitely more unlikely to bother getting this cabin on that ship or the others as they redo them.

Another gigantic mistake like taking out the aft pool on the Veendam.

During the day your view is from the bed? and NOT from the desk area? I love that I can sit at the desk and look out. The "new cabin" appears tiny and chopped up, whereas now, you can entertain people with ease in it (a bit less so than the Neptunes)...

Definitely not something I'm going to bother spending more for.

I guess letters to HAL are in order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OH, no!!!! Look at the new floor plans of the Signature Suites! Do NOT like the fact the desk is closed off from "the view."

I agree! Though it's not so much the desk placement, I don't like as blocking more of the view. The whole thing that makes a Suite, sweet is MORE WINDOWS! More light! More Views! More World. Ok, I'll stop with the !'s

I personally like being able to see the view from the bed but why add a bigger bookcase to house glassware that could have been done on an interior wall and give us more windows? I would have liked 2 LARGE floor to ceiling windows. My 2¢l

Unless you were on the Eurodam this Dec. the other suite enhancements aren't due to roll out until after April. The announcement gives the ships and approximate months...darn...we'll miss it on our next cruise.

No second link indicated some new improvements fleet wide from Jan 16 including Bose docking stations, coffee machines and in suite Mimosas for breakfast, nothing was evident on my Noordam cruise I just finished. Wasn't expecting the full refurbishment but was thinking it would be nice to have the coffee machine at least since I was in an aft wrap suite and the Neptune Lounge is a bit of a hike.

• 5 weeks later...
No second link indicated some new improvements fleet wide from Jan 16 including Bose docking stations, coffee machines and in suite Mimosas for breakfast, nothing was evident on my Noordam cruise I just finished. Wasn't expecting the full refurbishment but was thinking it would be nice to have the coffee machine at least since I was in an aft wrap suite and the Neptune Lounge is a bit of a hike.

We were on the Jan 29 Oosterdam cruise in a Neptune suite. The docking station and coffee maker were on the desk. The coffeemaker is Mo Coffee, whoever they are.

The first day, all we had was the coffeemaker, no pods. I figured it was all brand new and the pods would show up eventually. On the second day, we were given a plate that held 6 pods, 3 little creamers (real half and half) and an assortment of sweeteners. No instructions about using the machine, and no explanation of what the pods held. I went to the Neptune lounge and the concierge called someone. Purple is regular, blue is decaf, black is espresso. I asked about instructions. It looked easy enough to figure out, but in case there was something I really ought to know, I thought instructions would be a good idea. She said to ask our stewards how it works. When we asked the steward, he said to check with the Neptune lounge.

It has a water reservoir, and you lift the cover to a compartment and put a pod in. When you lift the cover to put in the next pod, the old one drops into a little bin. The coffee was OK. NOt great, but OK. Didn't try the espresso. A few days later, we got a laminated card saying what was in each pod, but never did see instructions.

Since it was new, I was able to heat water for tea by not putting in a pod. I suspect that after a few months of making coffee, it will produce coffee-tasting hot water unsuitable for tea.

And yes, there are mimosas with room service breakfast. The first time they were delivered separately. The second time they were on the tray. Both times we were called to make sure we wanted them.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We were on the Jan 29 Oosterdam cruise in a Neptune suite. The docking station and coffee maker were on the desk. The coffeemaker is Mo Coffee, whoever they are.

Well, they're not Keurig (more's the pity- I'm addicted to my REVV K-Cups)

MoCoffee was Developed by the Inventor of Nespresso. They have 5 different coffees available including what you mentioned. Their Cremoso pods sound intriguing. I like that their pods are environmentally friendly.

For more information, you can Tweet them directly at @Mocoffee

Did you who have also sailed in suites which have already been equipped with the coffee machines ALSO suspect that rather than ALTRUISM on the company's part it is a way to sell more bottled water? The machine sits near the window, as far from running water as can be in any suite thus to make coffee a passenger, oh, EXCUSE me, HAL wants to call us "GUESTS" (YUKK!), has to get water from SOMEWHERE...so you BUY the water for the so-so coffee provided. Chris and I suspect that these coffee machines will lead to the eventual removal of the coffee machines from the Neptune Lounges...

Did you who have also sailed in suites which have already been equipped with the coffee machines ALSO suspect that rather than ALTRUISM on the company's part it is a way to sell more bottled water? The machine sits near the window, as far from running water as can be in any suite thus to make coffee a passenger, oh, EXCUSE me, HAL wants to call us "GUESTS" (YUKK!), has to get water from SOMEWHERE...so you BUY the water for the so-so coffee provided. Chris and I suspect that these coffee machines will lead to the eventual removal of the coffee machines from the Neptune Lounges...

It has a reservoir, so you can fill that at the sink and get several cups of coffee from it. I did find that much easier than filling a mug with water and trying to pour that into a coffeemaker--I always spill doing that.

I don't think it will lead to the removal of the Neptune Lounge machines. Food is available there, and people do have snacks and coffee in the Neptune Lounge, so they'd still need some kind of machine. The big one makes better coffee.

You think HAL is going to make a killing on bottled water money because a few people won't want to fill a little reservoir? Highly unlikely. "Let's see I can spend $2-5 dollars on this bottle of water or walk 40 steps holding a container designed to hold water" that's a no brainer. I'll walk. Doesn't mean some people wouldn't use bottled water though if they want even an extra layer of "purity" (I'm sure the machine has a filter but still) or if there's a mobility issue and it's a convenience thing

Edited by InTheWASide

You think HAL is going to make a killing on bottled water money because a few people won't want to fill a little reservoir? Highly unlikely. "Let's see I can spend $2-5 dollars on this bottle of water or walk 40 steps holding a container designed to hold water" that's a no brainer. I'll walk. Doesn't mean some people wouldn't use bottled water though if they want even an extra layer of "purity" (I'm sure the machine has a filter but still) or if there's a mobility issue and it's a convenience thing

The reservoir has a maximum fill line that's at least an inch below the top. And it has a lid that fits securely, so there's little risk of spilling as you carry it across the room.

We used the tap water and didn't notice any odd taste. But then, we drink the tap water and are OK with it. If someone's "coffee palate" is more sensitive than mine, they might choose bottled water.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder