Watching TV on the Ship

bshow

The recent thread about headphone jacks on the TV got me thinking. I have been on a number of cruises, and I know for a fact that I have never watched TV on the ship.

There is usually some welcome aboard stuff playing when you enter your stateroom. I switch it off and it never comes on again. I would be fine if there was no TV.

I cruised on a large ship on another line a few years ago. In the morning, they would play the insufferable Today Show and the nearly-as-insufferable cruise director program on a giant screen over the lido deck. I resolved to avoid that type of ship in the future, because I enjoy the lido area.

So I'm curious: do you all watch TV on the ship? I suppose I'm the oddball, but there may be one or two who do the same...

The recent thread about headphone jacks on the TV got me thinking. I have been on a number of cruises, and I know for a fact that I have never watched TV on the ship.

There is usually some welcome aboard stuff playing when you enter your stateroom. I switch it off and it never comes on again. I would be fine if there was no TV.

I cruised on a large ship on another line a few years ago. In the morning, they would play the insufferable Today Show and the nearly-as-insufferable cruise director program on a giant screen over the lido deck. I resolved to avoid that type of ship in the future, because I enjoy the lido area.

So I'm curious: do you all watch TV on the ship? I suppose I'm the oddball, but there may be one or two who do the same...

I have found that there is very little worth watching on cruise ship televisions. Other than trying to get the occasional news report we don't bother with TV while on a cruise.

I returned to our stateroom one afternoon to find my husband watching TV - I was so surprised and said, "Are you kidding me? It's gorgeous out there - we are in the middle of the sea and you're watching TV?"

He replied, "you relax your way and I'll relax mine."

The only time I watched TV on a cruise ship was when I had a horrendous sinus infection - then I watched movies.

There is so much to see or do - but, to each his own.

Pat

On a happier note, I enjoyed watching Prince William marry Kate Middleton on TV in my HAL stateroom on a very bad-weather day in LeHavre.

I like the bow cameras on ship TVs. Also very much like the interactive system on Celebrity TVs where you can view your stateroom account for OBC and charges.

We occasionally turn the TV on to but mostly as kind of background noise when we're getting ready for dinner. I can't think of a time when we've actually stayed in or gone back to our cabin to watch a movie or show. Part of it is that when we typically cruise we're usually just coming out of winter at home and while relatively mild here in San Antonio it still means we've been inside and probably in front of the TV or on the computer too much. Secondly, over the years we've put together a dedicated big screen home theater that pretty much duplicates the viewing and listening of a big theater experience though more comfortable so we're kind of spoiled and maybe a bit picky.

It depends on what we want to do. We spend a lot of time in our suite, because we hate being hassled by the sales people, loud obnoxious music and announcements. These days, Royal Caribbean has only CNN, a couple of Turner Channels (that keep broadcasting the same thing), and ad channels. We used to enjoy the movies in the stateroom, but since those stupid screens on the pool deck, the movies have disappeared from our TV. And I can't bring myself to pay for the ones that cost extra.

On our recent cruise, deck 4 centrum entertainment could be heard all the way up to deck 10 centrum, because it was one large area. Quite pretty, but also quite noisy. So we stayed in our room. We open the curtains to the balcony and enjoy looking at the sea.

Edited by knittinggirl

I will sometimes put the bow camera on the TV while we are getting awake in the morning. Other than that I can recall watching a movie in our cabin once, since my DW was under the weather one day and I didn't want to abandon her to be in the cabin alone.

I am sure, however, that there would be a huge uproar if any cruise line attempted to remove the TVs!

You're right, there would be an uproar if they removed TV's.

No one is forced to turn their TV on but it should be available for those who want it. You never know when there will be some world event most of us would be interested in following.

Generally, If we're in the cabin, the TV is on. (unless we are sleeping) We'll have on the news, the shopping channels, bow cam, movies, or just the music. We usually get a DVD or two from guest services and we sometimes bring our own. I'm excited about the screen upgrades with the new suite make-overs. P.S. I LOVE the navigation channel also!

Edited by kevingastreich

OAlso very much like the interactive system on Celebrity TVs where you can view your stateroom account for OBC and charges.
That's promised for the Koningsdam. The Eurodam already has a page available on the ship server accessible through a laptop or smartphone that allows you to check your account, check and make specialty dining reservations, and check the day's activities. I think there's another function available too, but it wasn't something I was interested in using, so I don't remember what it was.

We use it occasionally for news.

Depending on the ship/cruiseline we use it to check our onboard account, view daily menus for the day, and place the occasional order for room service/specialty restaurant, or a shore excursion.

We generally don't turn on the TV unless to watch the bow camera or weather/position while getting ready. Don't know why but I like the graphic of seeing where we are.

The one time I watched a movie was my first cruise, a New England cruise, and I was seasick. A combo of high seas and the patch behind my ear not working. Dh went to have fun with the group we were with and I stayed back while my wonderful steward kept checking in on me. The movie I found to watch...Titanic. :eek:

Don't usually watch it. Sometimes, in the past, if I missed a lecture for some reason, I would try to catch it .... not sure if the reruns of lectures still happens. Rarely watch news unless something really wild is happening. - Don't watch much TV at home either.

Susan

We like different things on the TV - DH likes to catch up on some news or sports while I like the Navigation channel to check data. Sometimes we catch as "replay" of a presentation that we missed. We don't run our day around it but TV fills a niche for us even onboard.

Last cruise we watched the Paris shootings coverage unfold the night before we disembarked... the world goes on even when we're traveling.

We don't do many 7 night cruises, usually we are gone for long periods by land and sea so catching up on the world or even just relaxing with an occasional show makes a nice choice.

Oh, when we're been in an inside room the bow cam is our window to the world!

Yeah, we'd miss the TVs if they took them out.... only been on one cruise without a TV, Hurtigruten, but they had excellent, free internet so we got our news that way. m--

Have never watched a single minute of tv on any cruise, or for that matter on any land vacation. Can't stand background noise either. When I booked an inside for the VOV this summer, I figured I'd use the bow camera channel, but have since changed to an ocean view...

Edited by Barrheadlass

I also enjoy the bow and stern cameras....but.....seems to be no set standard that all ships will have both and a few have neither.

Not sure why all ships can't have both as I suspect the cameras are there already and just need the feed to the cabin TV.

I'd like to have bow, stern, starboard and port cameras that feed into the TV so you can get an idea of what's going on all around the ship without running outside to take a look. There certainly appear to be plenty of vacant TV channels available to utilize.