Zika Virus

qsuzi

Anyone sailing in the next 1-2 months get a notice from HAL regarding the Zika Virus. We received a notice from Princess.

See the link if you would like information about the Zika Virus.http://www.kcra.com/health/who-leader-zika-virus-spreading-explosively/37682662

Anyone sailing in the next 1-2 months get a notice from HAL regarding the Zika Virus. We received a notice from Princess.

See the link if you would like information about the Zika Virus.http://www.kcra.com/health/who-leader-zika-virus-spreading-explosively/37682662

Zika is even in America now, including my home state of Virginia.

It's the new normal, like Bird Flu or West Nile Virus.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/01/27/residents-virginia-arkansas-test-positive-for-zika-virus.html

Although the mosquitoes aren't yet here, it's just a matter of time until they are. This summer probably, sooner in Florida.

Only 1 in 5 people have any symptoms, and those symptoms are usually mild.

The main issue seems to be for pregnant women, as it can cause birth defects.

The Government of El Salvador has asked women there not to get pregnant until 2018 :eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/world/americas/el-salvadors-advice-on-zika-dont-have-babies.html

This is an email I just got (sailing Zuiderdam 2/26)

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel alert for destinations with active outbreaks of Zika virus, including Mexico and certain countries in Central America, South America and the Caribbean. Zika virus is spread primarily through mosquitoes, and is not transmitted from person to person. Symptoms of Zika typically develop 2-7 days after being bitten and may include fever, headache, skin rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week.

If you are receiving this notice, then your cruise is scheduled to travel to one of the regions currently affected by Zika Virus. An up-to-date list of these regions can be found by following this link: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/

There has been a recent increase in poor pregnancy outcomes among mothers who contracted Zika during pregnancy. These cases are being reported in areas where Zika virus outbreaks have occurred. Knowledge of the link between Zika and these outcomes is still developing. For this reason, the CDC Advisory particularly impacts women who are pregnant and women who are trying to become pregnant. Therefore, the following precautions are recommended:

• Pregnant women in any trimester should consider postponing travel to the areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Pregnant women who must travel to one of these areas should talk to their doctor or other healthcare professional first and strictly follow steps to avoid mosquito bites during the trip.

• Women trying to become pregnant should consult with their healthcare professional before traveling to these areas and strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during the trip.

More information can be found here: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

The comfort and safety of all travelers is a high priority for Holland America, and we can assure you that they are monitoring the situation for any new developments. As this is still an evolving issue, please visit http://www.cdc.gov/zika for the most up-to-date information.

For any other questions or concerns regarding your reservation, your cruise counselor is in the office Mon-Fri: 8am-5pm, US Central Time and can be reached during these hours at 1-800-338-4962, ext. 7689 or by replying to this email. If you are calling from outside the US or Canada, click here for a list of toll-free numbers.

Interesting......

Carnival Cruise Line sent a similar e-mail, however, it included information as to refund/rebooking of people who wish to cancel their cruise.

HAL doesn't seem to give any such information.

no emails from HAL about Zika .. we sail in less than 5 weeks.. Panama Canal roundtrip.. guess HAL doesn't think the Canal cruise includes parts of Central America, Mexico and those places affected..

then again we NEVER get any emails from HAL for anything no matter how many times I call.. send emails.. re-sign up .. NEVER as in nada.. zilch.. squat.. zero

There are several illness than can be contracted from mosquitos: malaria, dengue fever, west nile virus, now zika... and probably several more.

It's always best to take precautions against mosquito bites. And even more so for those who are pregnant. Always take precautions, and especially in tropical regions where these diseases are more prevalent. m--

no emails from HAL about Zika .. we sail in less than 5 weeks.. Panama Canal roundtrip.. guess HAL doesn't think the Canal cruise includes parts of Central America, Mexico and those places affected..

then again we NEVER get any emails from HAL for anything no matter how many times I call.. send emails.. re-sign up .. NEVER as in nada.. zilch.. squat.. zero

I'm surprised you didn't get the email I did and posted earlier. But it did come from my TA and not from HAL. I got a confirmation email from HAL when I booked in addition to my TA. Interesting! DonnaB

Some of the other cruise lines are responding to Zika faster than other cruise lines.

Yes, that is true, however, seeing HAL chose to send an e-mail to some of their booked guests, it was quite noticeable to me they made no mention of cancellation by concerned cruisers and what arrangements they would provide. Carnival Cruise Line and others have stated what their policy currently is.

What will HAL do for/with those guests who feel the need to cancel because of Zika virus? I think it odd their e-mail does not say.

Yes, that is true, however, seeing HAL chose to send an e-mail to some of their booked guests, it was quite noticeable to me they made no mention of cancellation by concerned cruisers and what arrangements they would provide. Carnival Cruise Line and others have stated what their policy currently is.

What will HAL do for/with those guests who feel the need to cancel because of Zika virus? I think it odd their e-mail does not say.

If you don't have cancel for any reason and are not pregnant I can't see HAL giving refunds or rebooking at this time. What good would rebooking do if this situation gets worse ?

While all of this is true for us pax, they have a responsibility to their crew. Hal has a lot of young female staff. That is something they will have to think about that. We are booked on the zandam next year on 3 consecutive cruises incl the Amazon and carnival cruise. How will the handle this will be seen. I am hoping that nothing happens as we have waited to put this together. And to be frank as 4 star Mariners there is not a lot of options. West Africa gone. North Africa mostly gone. East Africa gone a long time. Turkey now gone. Done everything else.

We just received this from our TA and would like to share:

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel alert for destinations with active outbreaks of Zika virus, including Mexico and certain countries in Central America, South America and the Caribbean. Zika virus is spread primarily through mosquitoes, and is not transmitted from person to person. Symptoms of Zika typically develop 2-7 days after being bitten and may include fever, headache, skin rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week.

If you are receiving this notice, then your cruise is scheduled to travel to one of the regions currently affected by Zika Virus. An up-to-date list of these regions can be found by following this link: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/

There has been a recent increase in poor pregnancy outcomes among mothers who contracted Zika during pregnancy. These cases are being reported in areas where Zika virus outbreaks have occurred. Knowledge of the link between Zika and these outcomes is still developing. For this reason, the CDC Advisory particularly impacts women who are pregnant and women who are trying to become pregnant. Therefore, the following precautions are recommended:

• Pregnant women in any trimester should consider postponing travel to the areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Pregnant women who must travel to one of these areas should talk to their doctor or other healthcare professional first and strictly follow steps to avoid mosquito bites during the trip.

• Women trying to become pregnant should consult with their healthcare professional before traveling to these areas and strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during the trip.

More information can be found here: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

The comfort and safety of all travelers is a high priority for Holland America, and we can assure you that they are monitoring the situation for any new developments. As this is still an evolving issue, please visit http://www.cdc.gov/zika for the most up-to-date information.

If you don't have cancel for any reason and are not pregnant I can't see HAL giving refunds or rebooking at this time. What good would rebooking do if this situation gets worse ?

The 'good' for rebooking could be to a different area other than Caribbean. The rebooking could be for Alaska or Canada/New England, for example, where thus far there is no risk. Of course, it would depend how many weeks pregnant as they would not be permitted to sail past a certain number of weeks into their pregnancy.

Carnival is issuing credits toward future cruises and I think other cruise lines are doing the same.