Booking OBC and buying OBC?

Hflors

We were given an obc from HAL for booking during a sale. Now we want to buy some more obc to cover items we know we will spend on the ship. The HAL obc is not refundable, but from what I read the OBC that I buy will be. If at the end of the cruise there is OBC left will it be refunded to us or will we lose it?

I don't know how HAL can separate their obc from what we buy

Anyone done this before? Did you have any obc left? Was it refunded?

As commonly discussed here, non-refundable OBC will be expended first. If there is any refundable OBC left, they will refund it in cash, or back to the credit card that bought it.

HAL can tell the difference. It can be denoted by coding on your account.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We recently had a lot of shipboard credit. We didn't buy any onboard credit.

The shipboard credit was part from HAL from a cruise that we had booked and was cancelled by HAL. The rest came owning stock, American Express and our TA.

At the end of the cruise, we did have some shipboard credit left and it was credited to my credit card.

We recently had a lot of shipboard credit. We didn't buy any onboard credit.

The shipboard credit was part from HAL from a cruise that we had booked and was cancelled by HAL. The rest came owning stock, American Express and our TA.

At the end of the cruise, we did have some shipboard credit left and it was credited to my credit card.

Very interesting. Do you think it was only the unspent OBC from your TA?

Edited by qsuzi

Very interesting. Do you think it was only the unspent OBC from your TA?

They seem to use the non refundable OBC first, and that's typically from sales and Holland America promos. I guess you'd have to ask the TA if their OBC was refundable or not. I do know that everything you buy yourself or that you are given as gifts from friends is fully refundable.

They seem to use the non refundable OBC first, and that's typically from sales and Holland America promos. I guess you'd have to ask the TA if their OBC was refundable or not. I do know that everything you buy yourself or that you are given as gifts from friends is fully refundable.

Yes that is how I understand it - non refundable OBC is used first. I don't have experience with OBC from American Express. I appreciate you commenting. Thanks!

Edited by qsuzi

Btw I notice the op is from USA so not relevant but for others interested in whether to purchase obc. Note there is an interesting forum trending about ncl who cancelled and refunded a lot of passengers pre purchased obc and as they were Canadian resulted in losses for them as the cad had slipped further since there pre purchase

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Just a small question, why do people buy additional OBC?

Is there a benefit doing this or is this more of an American habit?

I don't, but I can fully understand why some people do.

Let's say I have a cruise coming up next fall. I plan to purchase several things once on board, in addition to the Hotel Service Charge that is going to be charged to my account. I might want to have a dinner (or more) in a specialty restaurant, purchase shore excursions, spa/salon charges, and maybe a few photos.

I have no idea what it's going to cost, but can come up with a decent estimate :eek:, and I don't want to leave the ship with so big a bill to pay all at once when I get home.

So, I purchase some OBC, a little at a time, over the next few months. It's easier to budget that way, and I can board the ship knowing that I will disembark owing little or nothing when I do.

Since the interest I would get on my money, if I leave it in the bank, amounts to barely a few cents, this works out very well.

Another reason to buy OBC upfront - to take advantage of credit card promotions. We had to spend $X over 3 months to get a nice reward, so we added to our cruise deposit and bought a couple of shore excursions in advance. You could also buy the OBC to accomplish this.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have one further question. Since CCL stock is lower at this time we are thinking of buying the stock. This will add another obc to our account.

1) how can I find out for sure how much the stock obc will be. (tried the search function) I see what people say, but that is not from CCL/HAL. Is there some place that ccl/HAl has this listed?

2) Would the stock obc be part of the non-refundable or the refundable credit.

We are booked on a 28 day cruise in a balcony cabin. Does the length and cabin type make a difference in the obc?

Thanks guys.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have one further question. Since CCL stock is lower at this time we are thinking of buying the stock. This will add another obc to our account.

1) how can I find out for sure how much the stock obc will be. (tried the search function) I see what people say, but that is not from CCL/HAL. Is there some place that ccl/HAl has this listed?

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

2) Would the stock obc be part of the non-refundable or the refundable credit.

non refundable

We are booked on a 28 day cruise in a balcony cabin. Does the length and cabin type make a difference in the obc?

length of cruise only

Thanks guys.

answers within your post

I don't, but I can fully understand why some people do.

Let's say I have a cruise coming up next fall. I plan to purchase several things once on board, in addition to the Hotel Service Charge that is going to be charged to my account. I might want to have a dinner (or more) in a specialty restaurant, purchase shore excursions, spa/salon charges, and maybe a few photos.

I have no idea what it's going to cost, but can come up with a decent estimate :eek:, and I don't want to leave the ship with so big a bill to pay all at once when I get home.

So, I purchase some OBC, a little at a time, over the next few months. It's easier to budget that way, and I can board the ship knowing that I will disembark owing little or nothing when I do.

Since the interest I would get on my money, if I leave it in the bank, amounts to barely a few cents, this works out very well.

Ruth you explain things so well. I did not get the concept of purchasing OBC either. Explained it to the point where I will not be doing that. My trip is not until oct 2016 aboard the Koningsdam and all I have at this point from my agent is $200 for OBC....I keep hoping for an OBC surprise:o

I have a sick feeling that once we disembark that final bill will be an ouchy:eek:!!!

Does pre-purchased OBC count toward earning Mariner credits ($300 = 1 credit)?

When you actually spend it on something, yes. The bonus days are based on incurred charges on your booking. Whether you pay in advance, or after the cruise is over, does not matter.