Hammocks on Balcony - Tips/suggestions?

Toddcan

I've searched through various threads on putting a hammock on a balcony. Ken (OurusualBeach) even has a "how to" including where to mount the C-Clamps, etc. All very useful information.

I'd like to take it to the next level with more specific questions from people who have thought of trying, and especially people who have actually done this.

We have an aft JS for our upcoming Navigator cruise in March. So, I have a lot more room than I normally would. ALSO.. (and this is important).. we are driving down, so I have more flexibility on the size/type of the hammock I bring. I would LOVE to bring this type - but they are NOT compact, and would be too bulky:

SINGLE%20PERSON%20HAMMOCK60314973.jpg

So, here are my questions:

Specifically:

1. Hammock choice - I'm not a fan of those thin nylon rope hammocks - not very comfy - but very compact. I've never tried the nylon material ones - but I'm a big guy.. 235 lbs, so weight is a consideration. Ideally, I'd like a heavy cotton or cotton/poly blend rope (as in photo) - they are so comfy. If anyone knows of one that fits in a duffle bag, even- I'm all ears.
  2. Fixturing (C-Clamps?). Is Ken's C-Clamp idea the best? Any issues with the Clamps pulling off (landing on your keister), or are they pretty solid?
  3. Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I've searched through various threads on putting a hammock on a balcony. Ken (OurusualBeach) even has a "how to" including where to mount the C-Clamps, etc. All very useful information.

I'd like to take it to the next level with more specific questions from people who have thought of trying, and especially people who have actually done this.

We have an aft JS for our upcoming Navigator cruise in March. So, I have a lot more room than I normally would. ALSO.. (and this is important).. we are driving down, so I have more flexibility on the size/type of the hammock I bring. I would LOVE to bring this type - but they are NOT compact, and would be too bulky:

SINGLE%20PERSON%20HAMMOCK60314973.jpg

So, here are my questions:

Specifically:

1. Hammock choice - I'm not a fan of those thin nylon rope hammocks - not very comfy - but very compact. I've never tried the nylon material ones - but I'm a big guy.. 235 lbs, so weight is a consideration. Ideally, I'd like a heavy cotton or cotton/poly blend rope (as in photo) - they are so comfy. If anyone knows of one that fits in a duffle bag, even- I'm all ears.
  2. Fixturing (C-Clamps?). Is Ken's C-Clamp idea the best? Any issues with the Clamps pulling off (landing on your keister), or are they pretty solid?
  3. Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Todd, great hammock.. I may have to upgrade.:D

As you re driving I don't think hat one woud be very bulky, I'm sure that you could get a gym bag that would hold it.

If you have an aft balcony that will work for sure. I may have to try it on our side facing balcony but it will be a lot tighter. The hammock will fit but the chair may be an issue.

Take the 2 C clamps just in case but you probably wont need them. On the aft balconies there are several open beams that you can wrap the rope around and tie off. Either way you will need 2 sturdy pieces of rope appx. 6 feet in length for either end. I had ours set up on afts on Liberty both a D1 and a JS.

No danger of the C clamps slipping off as the weight is being pulled on a downward angle and not straight out.

One final thought, ENJOY! And post pictures when you get back.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Todd, great hammock.. I may have to upgrade.:D

As you re driving I don't think hat one woud be very bulky, I'm sure that you could get a gym bag that would hold it.

If you have an aft balcony that will work for sure. I may have to try it on our side facing balcony but it will be a lot tighter. The hammock will fit but the chair may be an issue.

Take the 2 C clamps just in case but you probably wont need them. On the aft balconies there are several open beams that you can wrap the rope around and tie off. Either way you will need 2 sturdy pieces of rope appx. 6 feet in length for either end. I had ours set up on afts on Liberty both a D1 and a JS.

No danger of the C clamps slipping off as the weight is being pulled on a downward angle and not straight out.

One final thought, ENJOY! And post pictures when you get back.

I knew you'd jump in - greatly appreciated!

Do you have any pics of the JS aft setup?

I think you might be right about the hammock as pictured - if I can get it in a duffle bag, that would be perfect. Those are the most comfortable ones, in my experience.

We didn't have a rope hammock as you would like to but we attached ours by tying it off on the open beams and railing as was mentioned!

Here is a picture of where we did it on our JS aft corner balcony on Brilliance!

It was great, I hope you enjoy!!

2js1100.jpg.b4b6d55e342f6e96ea4b798d670d59da.jpg

I really cannot forsee RCI permitting this.

But if they do kudos to you.

After your cruise I am sure there will be a new regulation not permitting this.

Let us know when you sail.

Post pics.

Enjoy

Safe travels.

I knew you'd jump in - greatly appreciated!

Do you have any pics of the JS aft setup?

I think you might be right about the hammock as pictured - if I can get it in a duffle bag, that would be perfect. Those are the most comfortable ones, in my experience.

Sorry no pictures of the set up on the aft cabins. It's a bit different than the one posted above from the Radience class but there are enough openings through the girders that it should be pretty straight forward. The 2 x6 foot pieces of rope are key.

We bought the hammock in Cozumel and then had to go on a hunt into town to find the rope to be able to hang it.

We did it on Freedom's corner aft balcony and LOVED it. Take parachord instead of rope. Much smaller and easier to cut when you're done with it. You can take a VERY SMALL pair of scissors. I have a foldable pair that goes with me wherever we go. That way you can cut it down at the end of your trip. We used that, along with a few D-Rings around the structure and enjoyed it very much.

I really cannot forsee RCI permitting this.

But if they do kudos to you.

After your cruise I am sure there will be a new regulation not permitting this.

Let us know when you sail.

Post pics.

Enjoy

Safe travels.

Sue, people have been hammocking for a long time. Why would they put in a regulation now?

Sue, people have been hammocking for a long time. Why would they put in a regulation now?

I can think of several reasons, one is safety, one could argue the hammock may not be installed correctly. Another would be a fire hazard.

Todd, I'm sure you've seen our video and pics on here as well as our hanging apparatus which are the Huskey velcro straps rated for 300 lbs.

We also bought our hammock(no sticks) in Costa Maya along with some nylon rope from one of the vendors but we don't use that rope anymore. We bought good woven nylon rope, the kind you use for lines on sailboats. We've been using ours since 2007.

Yes the aft balconies have the most openings to utilize with this system. But the pic above works as well with the stanchions of the railing being used along with the supports for the dividers. We've used both. Those posts are made of iron and can well support your weight. You aren't going to break anything people. And as for fire hazard...what fire? Isn't smoking prohibited on any balcony now???? :cool:

Sailors have been using hammocks on ships for centuries and still do. Actually one of the safest ways to sleep in any storm.

Edited by BecciBoo

I've tried many types of hammocks, and I really only like the big thick rope ones. Not a fan of the thin nylon string ones, or the solid nylon fabric ones - but that's just me. That foldable hammock someone posted looks awesome, but just not for me. I prefer the lazy big swings that are typically found with those huge rope ones.

The problem I am finding after researching last night is how to carry these suckers onboard. The one I want is 5 ft wide, so the wooden supports at each end are 5 ft long, and not flexible. So, I need to find a 5ft long dufflebag. Still looking.

As far as the posters trying to help with your "not allowed" "breaking rules" "fire hazard" posts - please show me where this is not allowed, and I will abandon my plans. On our last cruise in March, we were in port with a European ship - cannot remember the line, and they had hammocks on EVERY balcony - it was a feature supplied by the cruise ship. Yes, there are concerns on safety as far as how to securely attach, but I'm confident I can overcome this - after all, if campers can figure out how to attach these in the middle of the woods, I'll be ok :)

Has anyone tried this on Freedom class Aft cabin 1400/1700 ? I know the balconies are huge so I would like to try this.. but can't tell from videos posted if there are any support beams to hang this to??

Aft balconies are full of structures to tie off to, or to clamp to - even those deck 10 balconies with nothing above them. I cannot say with certainty, but if you bring lots of sturdy rope, and some sturdy C-Clamps (not the dollar store type), you will be able to hang a hammock.

Has anyone tried this on Freedom class Aft cabin 1400/1700 ? I know the balconies are huge so I would like to try this.. but can't tell from videos posted if there are any support beams to hang this to??

No problems in 1702. This is the first balcony I tried the hammock on. Did not need the C clamps. There are lots of beams above with pass through openings.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Have you considered a portable hammock that doesn't require hanging? I have one that we take camping that folds up easily in a carrying bag. Here's another option I found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Portable-Folding-Hammock/dp/B003DQ2YIY

OMG! Great and thanks for sharing! Definitely investing in one of these for cruising and home when I feel like being outside for a while :D

Here are the Husky velcro hangers. As you can see, it is industrial strength velcro, wraps around anything and is made to hang heavy items. The large size will hang up to 300 lbs I believe. That is the safest way to use the stanchions and iron poles on the balcony. Freedom class is perfect.

6sujih.jpg