Caribbean vaccination requirement

ewh

Are vaccinations advised for the Caribbean islands. We are from the states and will be departing from, and returning to, San Juan, PR?

Nothing's required.

You SHOULD have your Flu shot and Tdap up-to-date though for common sense reasons.

We always get our flu shots in the fall before we cruise and our Tdap is up to date. There are no required shots. The only place I've needed insect repellent was in Belize when we went to some ruins in a rainforest, but I carry the Off Wipes on every trip just in case.

Edited by BND

• 4 weeks later...

Just so I'm clear, if we only eat cruise food, and we don't drink local water, we should be ok? What about eating at a local spot in Jamaica? Am I dreaming thinking it will be ok?

I checked into Hep A and B, both are multi-dose vaccinations, that I wouldn't be able to complete before sailing. I can understand the tetanus, especially with potential for injury on the beaches/coral. Should be able to get that. But....was so looking forward to eating in Ocho Rios, on the way back from Blue Hole.

Just so I'm clear, if we only eat cruise food, and we don't drink local water, we should be ok? What about eating at a local spot in Jamaica? Am I dreaming thinking it will be ok?

I checked into Hep A and B, both are multi-dose vaccinations, that I wouldn't be able to complete before sailing. I can understand the tetanus, especially with potential for injury on the beaches/coral. Should be able to get that. But....was so looking forward to eating in Ocho Rios, on the way back from Blue Hole.

We ate at Momma Marley's in Ocho last March - great jerk chicken:) We always try to eat the local food in the Caribbean. Recently spent a week in Barbados and there wasn't any ship food to eat and we survived:D Have never hesitated to drink the water at Caribbean restaurants either. I wouldn't say that about Mexico though......

The Blue Hole was great by the way!!! Go tubing afterward if you have time.

Edited by bouhunter

We ate at Momma Marley's in Ocho last March - great jerk chicken:) We always try to eat the local food in the Caribbean. Recently spent a week in Barbados and there wasn't any ship food to eat and we survived:D Have never hesitated to drink the water at Caribbean restaurants either. I wouldn't say that about Mexico though......

The Blue Hole was great by the way!!! Go tubing afterward if you have time.

Woohoo, so glad to hear that! We have booked Patrice for the day, going to Blue Hole first, then working our way back to the ship, stopping at whatever looks awesome out the window. I am so excited to do a private tour on this trip. I've heard great things about the locals and their friendliness and hospitality.

I lived on the island of Dominica for a year and traveled to several islands. You do not need any vaccines. Beware of the local water (this includes ice!!!). Generally it contains parasites and bacteria that we aren't used to. Most islands make their own meat. There is no Perdue chicken, it's the chicken out back. There are little to no safe food handling practices as most places a department of health doesn't exist. This doesn't mean you will get sick, you just have a higher chance to. I got used to it over time. Packing some Imodium and pepto wouldn't hurt just in case!!!

Hep A and B are worth having regardless of travel. Yes they are multi dose. You can start now and finish later and then you know you are covered in the future.

If you are worried about local food take Dukoral. You need to take it a week or two before you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hep A and B are worth having regardless of travel. Yes they are multi dose. You can start now and finish later and then you know you are covered in the future.

There was some restriction about not being able to fly within days of taking the dose, so be sure to check it out.