Freedom Dumps on solos and top tier couples

Royal2464

The Freedom has started to enforce the policy that top tier C&A members MUST use their specialty restaurant BOGO offers the first two nights of the cruise. They used to allow you to buy one on either Sunday or Monday and use the other night later in the week. Just another move to maximize profits by keeping people from using their free night on the busier nights later in the week. I'm a big, big fan of Giovanni's Table and Sabor, but I guess I have eaten my last meal there on the Freedom.

The Freedom has started to enforce the policy that top tier C&A members MUST use their specialty restaurant BOGO offers the first two nights of the cruise. They used to allow you to buy one on either Sunday or Monday and use the other night later in the week. Just another move to maximize profits by keeping people from using their free night on the busier nights later in the week. I'm a big, big fan of Giovanni's Table and Sabor, but I guess I have eaten my last meal there on the Freedom.

How are they "dumping" on you by making you use the coupon for the nights it was issued for?

If they were going to enforce it they should have enforced it from day 1. Not when it became more profitable to do so. Solos now have to eat in the same restaurant the first two nights of the cruise. Couples to use both coupons must delay eating in the MDR until the third night. Excuse me for having a personal preference, but I couldn't care less if you approve of it or not.

Maybe if there was more profit in it they would start enforcing all the other rules they choose to ignore.

I would love for all rules to be followed to the letter of the 'law'. I am not sure at what level of the top tier you have to be to get a specialty restaurant BOGO offer, although DH and I are Diamonds -- but if the rules change and they can do that at any time, they change.

But who are you hurting when you say "I guess I have eaten my last meal there on the Freedom" referring to the fact previously mentioned by YOU that you are a big, big fan of Giovanni's Table and Sabor? If you dine there, others simply will.

If they were going to enforce it they should have enforced it from day 1. Not when it became more profitable to do so. Solos now have to eat in the same restaurant the first two nights of the cruise. Couples to use both coupons must delay eating in the MDR until the third night. Excuse me for having a personal preference, but I couldn't care less if you approve of it or not.

Maybe if there was more profit in it they would start enforcing all the other rules they choose to ignore.

Easy there, I asked you a simple question. No where did I say I approved or disapproved anything.

As far as enforcing other rules, there are many that they don't enforce and I wish they would.

As pinnacle, you've probably spent in the hundreds of thousands on your cruises and you're worried about a coupon?

I don't understand why you object to Royal maximizing profits. If they do well financially, they can continue to modernize, upgrade, and think of new ways to enhance customer satisfaction. If they were doing badly, then we would see cost cutting, fewer perks etc. But it seems that your real gripe is that you were getting away with something and no longer are able to do that. My deepest sympathies...

We have had to use our BOGO meals on the first two nights. No maitre de ever gave us the option to delay what night we got to use it, even if paid in advance. If we wanted to use it later in the week we would not have been allowed to use BOGO and would have had to pay full price for two. It now sounds like that is the choice you have to make.

We had never heard of buying the first night and using it later so we only ever used one of our BOGOs for the three of us (essentially buy 2, get 1). Then, on Brilliance, we were offered to do what you describe ... buy the first or second night, then use the "free" meal later in the week. On Oasis right now and they are letting us come back later in the week for our "free" meal ... but we'll see when we get it. I see it as a "win" for Royal as we are now paying for 2 covers instead of 3, but as with all of these rules, it always varies as to how the current manager on that ship views the rules.

That's awesome.

Why on Earth would you complain about something you have explained, as fact, to people in the past?

My only guess is that he once, as a 3-star bellied Sneech, used to get an exemption from the rule and is angry he doesn't now. That's only a guess.

That's awesome.

Why on Earth would you complain about something you have explained, as fact, to people in the past?

My only guess is that he once, as a 3-star bellied Sneech, used to get an exemption from the rule and is angry he doesn't now. That's only a guess.

People complain about everything and anything that does not work to their personal advantage, and if it did work to their personal advantage in the past and now doesn't are even worse...because they feel they have been denied something they once had.

I take it all with a large grain of kosher salt.

Working our way to D+ when we get there, I will figure it out.

Enforcing a policy? How absurd. What are they thinking?

Two nights....two restaurants. Not sure why you have eaten your last meal at either one.

Have seen different processes on different ships. It seems more times than not you are not able to buy now eat later. In all your previous trips you must have come across this.

It never cease to amaze me that when someone is given something for free that they still manage to find something to complain about.

You aren't being forced to use it. If you don't like the terms simply don't do participate.

Amen! I am just hoping I live long enough to become D+.

I thought when this coupon first came out it used to be valid ONLY for the 1st night. Then they expanded it to the 1st TWO nights so couples can take advantage of the "free" meal. I've never heard of the option to get the free one anytime later. I thought I DID use to see for a single person they would simply get half price for the use of the BOGO coupon. Last time I sailed solo, they let me pay the 1st night and the SECOND night they gave me the "free" meal. That may have been a ship specific deal (was on EN).

But, as others say, I don't know why anyone would complain about this in the 1st place!

Edited by OTownNick

:)

Life is made of choices.....and you have a few more to now execute....so be it.

Paulette, I was thinking the exact same thing. There are many choices to be made on every sailing. None of us can be in two places at once. It appears that the OP wants to be able to participate in multiple activities or dine in various venues, but the terms of the coupons and policies do not allow as much flexibility as the OP would like.

I can understand the disappointment in having to decide to either not use the BOGO or forgo the mystery dinner. Many decisions to be made.

Royal (OP), I am not making a judgment. I am not a lurker, bottom dweller or idiot who lacks reading comprehension skills. It just seems that some of the choices to be made involve scheduling conflicts that are not to your liking. Perhaps once onboard you can find a way to remedy the situation? I understand there are perks to reaching the upper echelons of cruising. :)

I am still a lowly Platinum, thinking I may not have any choppers to eat at Chops by the time I hit Diamond Plus IF I even get there.

I hope you find a way to enjoy your cruise despite the BOGO troubles and scheduling conflicts. I hardly think you are regularly a complainer or you would have not stuck with the line long enough to get to the upper loyalty levels. It does stink when you put time and effort into something and then your expectations are dashed.

But, I have always used the BOGO almost any night I wanted. OfF the Serenade in October and did the BOGO on the nights I wanted and even change nights.

On that cruise, at our dining time about 7, there were empty tables every where.

With out the BOGO for us(FOR OUR TASTE, it would not be worth the extra money. Service was just ok and food well it is always subjective, but just a tad better than SOME of the MDR food.

My lady said on two cruises, we had to eat on the first night and then had dinner the night we wanted.

Edited by north29
Ladies input

I am just going to repeat what others have said.

The purpose of creating this "perk" in the first place was to put butts in seats on the first night of the cruise, when bookings were light.

NOT to give away free meals willy-nilly.

Suck it up, buttercup.

(oops, did I say that? ;) )

From our experience over the last two years we were always told to use them on the first and second nights. We were never given any other option. Perhaps it differs by ship.

As an added point, CC rules state that you are not allowed to question other members writing and reading comprehension as English it might not be their first language.

The bottom dwellers falls under name calling I think.

I was never given the option for using it another time other than the first two nights, Freedom included. Maybe they let you get away with it for sometime because of your higher status as I'm only d+

It could also depend on the week and who is running the show or the bookings were light and it didn't matter. If the booking is higher later in the week why would they bend the rule when they'll have paying customers. Either way its just like a lot of the rules and they change week to week and ship to ship. The rules changing is something I've grown use to and you've done way more than me so I'm sure you've seen it as well.

You could probably get away with a lunch/dinner combo and mix in a purple pill. If those options don't work I'd email the ceo

Edited by chadbeck

Can't you BO Giovani and GO Sabor? Since you like both. I agree mystery dinner in your case is an issue. Is Sobor too heavy meal to follow Giovani? Take it up with customer service don't know but 5 of the next 7 weeks on Freedom, is not a situation I think they plan on so maybe than can do something for you.

Edited by Duke Mazer

Here is my recollection.

In the beginning - I believe the coupon was just for the first night and many complained that a couple could not each use their coupon or it was no good for a solo cruiser. Then RCCL extended the offer for the first two nights so each person can use the coupon, or a solo cruiser could make use of the coupon. (Side bar - I never understood why this arrangement was made as there a other coupons that a cruiser does not use. Back to the topic...) In any case - it seems recently many ships allowed the use of the second coupon on any night as long as the one meal was paid for on night one ( or two). We've enjoyed this added benefit many times, as recently as mid November. In fact when we've gone to a specialty restaurant to make a reservation, the staff on hand generally asks what night we want to use the second coupon.

It was nice while it lasted.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1