No more singing/dancing waiters on the Mediterranea?

rowingmachine

No singing/dancing waiters any more on Mediterranea

We last went on the Mediterranea three years ago and I thought I would point out the changes we experienced on our cruise from Venice (just back).

When we last went most of the inside was rank with tobacco smoke or effects of same. Smoking is now restricted to parts of deck 9 and your balcony, so much pleasanter . The ashtrays on the balcony are much improved. We are not heavy smokers and found the arrangements satisfactory.

Dining arrangements were completely different. There is now an evening buffet on deck 9. For our evening served meal we were assigned neither 1st sitting nor 2nd, but were assigned open dining on the deck 2 part of the restaurant; any time between 6:30 and 9:30. As the lower floor of this vast restaurant now had people coming and going all the time, the trademark Costa conga etc did not happen – or we did not see it. A pity really we thought and even less incentive to dress up. However the service was very efficient and well overseen.

Ice cream no longer features on the menu, but there is an ice cream trolley for which you pay 1.50 for one scoop, 2.50 for two scoops etc. Its location and timings were variable.

An authentic burger restaurant (10 euros extra) has been introduced alongside the ‘superior’ pizza restaurant. Judging by the number of people patronising this (we saw nobody the whole cruise) it would appear to be a mistake of gastronomic proportions.

The timings of the meals were much more adaptable and better suited to the docking times than previously. Somebody had actually thought out when customers were likely to return and made sure that enough places were open to eat.

There seemed to be very little live background music in the bars.

The drinks Piu Gusto package is still good value especially as it includes water and specialty coffee even if Strega is no longer on the cast list. The beer and wine choice remains poor. The bog standard coffee is the buffet was vastly improved as was the choice of tea bags.

The gym equipment all worked well and had had an overhaul since our previous visit. On other Costa ships you have to pay extra for the steam rooms etc. Surprisingly few people used this haven. I tended to have an hour before breakfast to do a few exercises, have a soak and a sauna freeing up the cabin facilities for the DW to do her thing.

Thanks for all the info

We saw the burger place on Favolosa and as you say ......waste of space!

The lack of music bugs me!! Enough to drive you to your drinks package and yes the wine choice is abysmal!!

T bag info very useful - maybe I won't bring ones with me on my next 3 cruises! The waiters are always surprised when I order a tea and then use my own teabag. Their tea is horrid!

Thank you once again

Caryl

Many thanks for your posting, you cleared up some of my questions. Glad they put the evening buffet back, as we usually eat around 5pm, and on cruises end up having afternoon tea, (more weight).

The tea bags, DH always has problems with his tea, he's a tea granny, and it must be boiling water.

Thanks again Carol

Thanks for the feedback. I was on Mediterranea last year and really enjoyed it. I recall that the part of the restaurant I was assigned to was like a separate room so perhaps someone decided to give it a try on freestyle dining...

On the subject of the waiter singing and dancing, that happened as well when I was on Diadema at the end of 2014...