Holiday shopping hours

Sandi07054

Twice I've been in Rome for a week in early December. I don't recall stores having different hours. Having said that, it's becoming more normal to find stores open on Sunday afternoons in Rome and not just the really touristy ones. I usually stay near the Pantheon.

In the first week in December, stores were only just beginning to decorate and create Christmas-y displays. I remember watching one man near the Spanish Steps putting up fresh greenery trim for his shop window and door....

It sort of depends on what exactly you are shopping for, and how important it is to you.

For example, fashion/designer stores on and around the high-rent Via Condotti used to be closed on Sundays. But now many of them are open because Italians have discovered the joys of shopping on a Sunday afternoon....

Also, stores that are focused on tourist items in the main areas (e.g., around Piazza Navona or the Pantheon) are somewhat likely to be open in the afternoon.

However, you'll still find a lot of stores owned by artisans or individual owners will be closed from Saturday evening to probably noon on Mondays. This includes a lot of the antique stores. For example, I have a favorite shop near the Pantheon with hand-tinted prints -- scenes of Rome, Audubon-type prints of birds, flowers, etc. He is closed on Sundays. Also the wonderful Rome branch of the Farmacia Santa Maria di Novella (the ancient pharmacy that originated in Florence, which still carries soaps, creams, etc. made from the original recipes of the nuns....) is, I believe, still closed on Sundays.

So -- it's up to you to plan based on how important shopping is relative to sight-seeing. If it's your first visit, I would just worry about getting to see the major sites of interest and then do whatever shopping you can in between.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a store that sells leather bags. There's one I like in the area near the Pantheon, but there are many others.

The area around the Spanish Steps is all VERY high end, expensive designer shops. More mid-range clothing is found on Via del Corso (but a lot of the shops are chains like Zara and H&M...).

Your daughter, if she's young, might also enjoy going to the Porta Portese flea market near Trastevere, which is only open Sunday mornings (to early afternoon) -- they sell all kinds of vintage and funky stuff (as well as cheap and trendy new things). More info: http://www.spottedbylocals.com/rome/porta-portese/