Our trip has begun

bazbov

Hello everyone,our trip has started. I shall probably only post updates when we get free internet as this computer is on its

last legs (a bit like me really) Sorry if it's long winded,if you don't want to read pre trip report,you'll have to wait until i post boarding day thoughts. (so sue me already,(g))

We are booked to go on the Costa Neoriviera saling from Venice to Dubai for 19 days.We booked this cruise over a year ago and during that time Costa made several changes to this cruise. We have to say that Costas customer service kept us informed and gave us the option of cancelling or accepting.

Naturally we accepted,it has been a real bad year health wise for me.I suffered a series of mini strokes at the begining of the year and had to cancel a cruise we had booked in January. Luckly we were insured. Anyway, i digress. To our delight and amazement those lovely people at Costa upgraded us to a suite category (you see Virginia,there is a Santa Clause)

This will be the first ever upgrade and suite,i shall post my thoughts,when i get to that stage (Hurry up i hear you cry, patience my children- (giggle)

Departure day to Italy.

We flew with Vueling-a Spanish low cost no frills airline, from Alicante Spain to Milan via Barcelona. We had always wanted to visit Milan,so a few days there before taking the train to Venice would be ideal.

A few days before the flight, we read on the internet that there was to be a general strike throughout Italy on the day of our departure, this threw us into a mild stateof panic (well actually, i apparantly metamorthised into a screaming banshee,but we don't talk about that) I e mailed everyone i could think of including the pope (g) to get some reliable information. Everyone but the pope replied back (funny that) They all said the same thing "what strike" Even so, we had back up plans in place.

We arrived at Alicante airport at 7am,our baggage was taken from us and we were told that it would next show up in Milan.

(me to airport check in girl "So, we dont need to collect our luggage in Barcelona?" girl,"No sir, it will be in Milan" me "cos we aren't going to Barcelona,We're going to Milan" girl "i'm well aware of that" me "you're sure it" At this, point Don my partner, intercedes and pulls me gently away,wishing the girl a merry christmas. I wave and smile and wish her seasons greetings too. (who said i'm a worrier)

Our flight to Barcelona was unevenful and on time.We had a 5 hour layover in Barcelona.

The flight to Milan was called and we lined up by the boarding gate. I don't really class myself as disabled, but i can't stand for long periods. I can walk unaided.However i walk very slowly up and down stairs and on inclines. They boarded priority first and then those in the rear rows (we were in the front rows) then those who had already boarded were led back out. The gate staff explained that a technical fault had been discovered and they were trying to rectfy it. I do understand that it's frustrating but several passengers IMO way over reacted. We were told to take a seat and wait.

There was a mad dash for the seats and yup you guessed it, yours truly was left without one (along with a lot more people)

I just waited in the front leaning against a post. 20 minutes later they again recomenced boarding. It was as if ww3 had commenced, peple were pushing and shoving, shouting and swearing. The gate staff tried to control the situation but there was little they could do. The plane was already delayed and if they caused further delays by dealing with these savages,they'd face even further wrath. Damned if they do.damned if they dont.

Anyway my turn came and it was indeed rather a steep slope (to me) i carefully and with some trepidation set off, i was again bumped into and pushed aside. I eventually lost my sense of control and snapped and asked these idiots where there manners had gone to, their reply- to just grin or to say i should walk faster.

I got to my seat, sat down and noticed a rather heated discussion taking place between the idiot who had pushed me aside and another gentleman. Apparantly the idiot was sat in the other gentlemans seat and refused to move because he wanted that seat so he could be near his friend. Even when the steward asked him to move he argued with her.

Then the same thing happened in the row in front of me,only this time it was a lady.

Then as we were landing and they asked for electrical devices to be switched off and tables to be stowed, the family opposite had to be told again and then argued with her, saying their little girl needed the table down to finish drawing and the husband wanted to finish his music.

The plane landed only about 20 minutes late and we retrieved our suitases (yes,they made it. o ye of little faith i said to myself) They were soaking wet as it was raining cats and dogs here in Milan. Off we went to pick up our hire car. Here's where it all started again. You know those flat electronic moving escalators, well silly me,i thought they were made for people who couldn't or didn't like to walk along those seemingly endless miles of flat corridor. I like them because it really does save my feet, at least it does. until those morons come racing by as if in an olympic running event, bashing me out of their way in an atempt to win gold. Next time, i'll give in and book mobility assistance.

We ae staying in a very nice hotel (Novotel) As it was fairly late when we arrived we just ate locally. Donald had a grilled veg pizza (i tried some,i'm not a great fan of pizza but this was good) He then finished with tirimisu. I had pasta with prawns and mushrooms (very nice)

Had to hang some of the clothes to dry and then had a fairly good nights sleep. Went to breakfast at about 8.15, brekfast buffet lots of choice,staff very friendly. Don has taken the car back,Still pouring down hopefully we'll see someof Milan today. Train to Venice tomorrow and then board the Neoriviera on Monday.

Hope you got through this missive without too many bumps and scrapes.(g) More when i can. Take care all.Happy Crusing.

Barry

Barry, next time you cruise I'll lend you dear MIL, once she puts her jack boots on, no one comes within two meters of her.:mad:

Sounds as if your travel to Milan was organised by Costa - utter chaos.:D

If you meet other idiots, just read the riot act from inside your passporet (if you have a British one):

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.

If this doesn't improve things, as a last resort take the muzzle and leash of dear MIL.:eek:

A great start to a great cruise.

Hi Bazboy

It all sounds so exciting in spite of those last minute worries about the possible strike, not what you want at all when you have been so looking forward to this cruise for a long time and have clearly planned so well for it, too.

Really sorry to hear about your health issues and cannot believe how selfish and inconsiderate people can be. We're no spring chickens ourselves and we know not to expect any concessions for anything now but sadly courtesy and politeness largely seem to have disappeared.

Think it is fantastic that you are giving all of us updates so that we may enjoy some of the fun with you along the way. Thank you very much.

Hope you and Don have the most amazing cruise and that the suite will be as wonderful as it sounds - you thoroughly deserve the upgrade and hope you enjoy every minute of your time onboard.

We're off on our first TA to Brazil aboard the Fascinosa in just under a week and we cannot wait!

Happy cruising

Bobbingbob