Booking concierge with a non-concierge family – thoughts?

charterman

We are considering booking a cruise in the Concierge category. We are first time DCL cruisers but we are veterans using this mode of vacation.

We are asking another family to join us but we know they can’t afford the Concierge category. They are a family that is very similar to ours, in terms of numbers, ages, and boys/girls. Other than $$ - a perfect match. I’ve read so many boards and forums on the advantages of Concierge so we are definitely sold on the idea.

A couple of questions to those of you who have been on these cruises:

• Would we be jerks if we booked this and they couldn’t join us in the lounge or board early? In other words, is the difference noticeable once you’re all onboard?
  • There seems to be some things we can book for them (character meets, Palo/Remy restaurant reservations, cabanas at the Castaway Cay) so long as we are all together. Is there a limit to how much “crossover” is allowed between non-concierge guests?
  • Are there other options we haven’t thought of yet?

Thanks for the insights.

Charterman – first-time poster

No limit to what the shoreside concierge will book for the other family provided that you are doing the activities together. THey won't book anything that the other family might choose to do "solo." And in my experience, shoreside will do this to include only one other cabin. You can't book one family in concierge and expect to get perks for 6 other cabins (I realize you didn't suggest this). Never have I seen or heard of a problem booking excursions or adult dining together with one other cabin--there are often things that the concierge guest wants to do ONLY if the non-concierge can get the same booking. Thus the logic in shoreside concierge being willing to include one other cabin in the reservations.

The easiest thing on check in and boarding will likely be for you to split up when you enter the terminal. They will go to the first timers line, you to the concierge line. Then you will go to the concierge waiting area and board before general boarding is announced. Make a plan to meet up somewhere based on their boarding number. You can board, go to the concierge lounge and review all the plans/tickets with the shipboard concierge and fix anything that isn't perfect. Then perhaps meet for lunch???

Are you "jerks?" That's rather up to how you look at it. I'd say no....you each know what you want and how much you wish to spend. Another point....a "couple" on DCL is any 2 people. So both wives could do a rainforest pass if desired (or whatever).

You are right that they can't us the lounge. They are welcome to join you in your room or suite though. They could hypothetically book an inside cabin and enjoy your balcony at your invitation.

As far as activities around the ship outside of the concierge area, there is no real difference. If your reservations are linked, they'll be seated with you for dinner. There are no reserved seats in the theatres or special perks in the kid areas, etc. for concierge guests.

Edited by moki'smommy

We are considering booking a cruise in the Concierge category. We are first time DCL cruisers but we are veterans using this mode of vacation.

We are asking another family to join us but we know they can’t afford the Concierge category. They are a family that is very similar to ours, in terms of numbers, ages, and boys/girls. Other than $$ - a perfect match. I’ve read so many boards and forums on the advantages of Concierge so we are definitely sold on the idea.

A couple of questions to those of you who have been on these cruises:

• Would we be jerks if we booked this and they couldn’t join us in the lounge or board early? In other words, is the difference noticeable once you’re all onboard?
  • There seems to be some things we can book for them (character meets, Palo/Remy restaurant reservations, cabanas at the Castaway Cay) so long as we are all together. Is there a limit to how much “crossover” is allowed between non-concierge guests?
  • Are there other options we haven’t thought of yet?

Thanks for the insights.

Charterman – first-time poster

Whether you are "jerks" or not would depend on how much you do that they can't be included in. And whether they feel left out. There are several things that Concierge can partake of that non-concierge cannot.

You can't book their reservations, unless their booking window is also open. Concierge guests book at 120 days (well, really you let the shoreside Concierge hosts know what you want at 125 days and they book for you at 120 days out). First-time DCL cruisers (in non-concierge) cannot book anything until 75 days out from the cruise.

Now, whether the shoreside Concierge will override the requirements for them - it might happen. But not guaranteed.

It's generally frowned upon for Concierge guest to try to include non-concierge guests in all their perks. Otherwise, you'd have lots of groups booking one concierge room, but dragging all their friends and family along for the perks.

Concierge lounge/sundeck - only for concierge guests.

Your non-concierge friends can visit you in your room, however with no problems.

One note--the other family must be paid in full before the concierge booking window opens or the concierge won't be able to book the with you. Only families who are paid in full can have bookings made for adult dining, excursions, nursery, spa, etc. regardless of when their window opens.

First, I want to say that the very fact you are sensitive to the potential pitfalls of this situation indicates you are not a jerk. And you are trying to be sensitive both to your friends and to other concierge guests, so kudos to you.

Second, as usual, I think moki'smommy has given you some really good advice and tips to maximize your concierge perks while neither neglecting your friends nor taking undue advantage of your premium services.

One thing to consider is whether this other family is enough of a "perfect match" that you'd consider sharing a royal suite with them. That would both reduce their cruise fare and put all the issues of "but what can I do that wouldn't alienate them" to bed.

Other than that, I would think of it like taking a land vacation with this other family. Would you both be staying at a Ritz-Carlton, just them in a basic room and you in a club level suite? Or would you be staying at a Ritz-Carlton while they'd be in a nearby JW Marriott (or more drastically, a Fairfield Inn)? And would both of you be comfortable with the different accommodations and treatment?

I'd add to also be frank with them and let them know there are a few things that you'll be doing as a family and then meet up with them afterwards (it's not too much). For example, the concierge happy hour (or whatever they call it). Or tell them you'll meet in the dining room while you go to the lounge with your family before dinner (they don't even have to know). They will want some alone time too.

I like the Haven on NCL and have stayed concierge on DCL. I would definitely do DCL with another family in the situation you describe. Probably not on NCL Haven since I'd feel like I'm not using what I'm paying for (unless I ditch them; wouldn't do that). I think you can take advantage of all the concierge perks without the other family feeling left out. Plus if you get a cabana they'll love that you chose concierge! haha. No one asked but I wish they reserved seats in the theater for concierge guests.

Oh, on some other lines it would not work at all....on certain lines, booking their equivalent of concierge level almost places you on another ship--private dining rooms and way more perks than DCL.

On DCL, they don't admit that concierge level gets preferred seating in the dining rooms, but they do. And there are lots of little perks that aren't advertised but just sort of happen (or at least the concierge asks you if you want/need XYZ). However, the basic concierge perks are nice but not anything really exceptional.

And I fully agree that no matter how close you are, some "apart time" is always a good thing. Could you make it work in a 2 bedroom suite? Maybe....but I also might want more alone time than that. Advantage--you pay the way high rate for the first 2 people. Numbers 3-7 (you didn't say which ship) are a whole lot more reasonable. On the Magic it would be like sharing a small apartment. But....it isn't as private as separate cabins would be. Still, if you were willing to pay for the first 2 people + your child/children and they paying for themselves as numbers 4,5,6...it might be a consideration. I'd probably opt for each family booking what they want and can afford. It just makes a lot of things easier.

can the other family afford DCL at all?

even not in concierge, it's pretty pricey

since you mention remy, i assume you're referring to the dream or fantasy..

if so, then the royal suite is completely out of the question. There isn't even enough privacy in that suite for one family, forget two....(the magic/wonder is another story, where the royal suite is really quite wonderful!!!)

if you're concierge people, and usually book concierge, will you be happy in anything but concierge?

Thanks to you all for posting replies. You've been very helpful!

I'm glad that no one mentioned "not booking Concierge". We might have scrapped the whole idea if that were the case.

You can't book their reservations, unless their booking window is also open. Concierge guests book at 120 days (well, really you let the shoreside Concierge hosts know what you want at 125 days and they book for you at 120 days out). First-time DCL cruisers (in non-concierge) cannot book anything until 75 days out from the cruise.

I totally get why I would not be able to book their onshore excursions. For Remy and Palo, if I can make our reservation ahead of our travel companions, am I booking for two and then increasing to four once they are paid and their window opens? Or does this fall into the "cross your fingers and hope they look the other way" category?

One thing to consider is whether this other family is enough of a "perfect match" that you'd consider sharing a royal suite with them. That would both reduce their cruise fare and put all the issues of "but what can I do that wouldn't alienate them" to bed.

It's interesting you mention the Royal Suite. We did think about this. But when we first researched, this room alone won't accommodate two families of five - ten total. We would need to book a connecting Concierge Room which would be more money than other options. But thanks for bringing it up.

In fact, my wife and I initially discussed paying the difference between non-concierge and concierge on their behalf. I think in an offpeak period (we are traveling peak season), the price difference is about $2,000. And we might have indeed paid that difference. But within the three week window that we are looking, the price difference is nearly $5,000. Much more than we would be willing to pay.

Would you both be staying at a Ritz-Carlton, just them in a basic room and you in a club level suite? Or would you be staying at a Ritz-Carlton while they'd be in a nearby JW Marriott (or more drastically, a Fairfield Inn)? And would both of you be comfortable with the different accommodations and treatment?

We have traveled together and I normally book their room with mine (in cash or points) and since they're both under my name, they get the same Platinum benefits. As a first time DCL, I have no such status.

Plus if you get a cabana they'll love that you chose concierge! haha.

This one perk is in the top three reasons for us to go Concierge! And it looks like the max occupancy for a cabana is ten, so this one perk they will most certainly be enjoying with us. This is written in full realization that I need to pay for four additional spots/wristbands.

...no matter how close you are' date=' some "apart time" is always a good thing. [/quote']

I think this idea is what will ultimately motivate us to move forward with concierge and non-concierge rooms. When we're not together, we'll simply remove ourselves to the lounge or sundeck. We may not get the "full benefit" of Concierge on our entire cruise, but I think that's okay.

Thanks again for everyone's input! :)

I hoping to hear a few more insights from other posters. We'll probably book our room within the next two weeks.

charterman...Thank you for asking the question. We have a similar situation. My in-laws 50th Anniversary is next year and we decided as a family to go on a cruise and we chose Disney for two reasons, we are DVC members, and booked our in laws the cruise as a present and and some have young children.

My BIL & SIL have never cruised and they booked Concierge. None of us felt excluded, we have already come to the realization that we will not be doing all activities together and that's ok, most live in different states and its been years since the whole family was in one place, so just to see them at dinner and some other places will be a treat. We are 16 total in 6 different cabins. All different price levels.

My BIL did request a cabana on family beach and one on adult beach. I am hoping they honor the request because of the wide age range of our group. I didn't know until mokismommy stated it didn't matter if they haven't PIF they cant confirm booking....I will not be asking my BIL, if they are PIF, we just wont have cabana.

I hope this gives you peace of mind, as I am family member not in Concierge and do not look at the ones that did as jerks:)

We have traveled in concierge with family in non concierge. Because we all wanted to board together, we did not board with concierge and waited with them until their number was called (which wasn't long at all). We had lunch together and then split up to find our cabins - we hit the concierge lounge then.

Like mentioned above, we asked shoreside to see if they were able to be moved from late dining to main dining with us, which they accommodated. They also joined us in the cabana.

We all had a great cruise - didn't feel we missed out on anything.

I have never seen a situation where shoreside concierge would not book reservations for ONE cabin in addition to the concierge guests. This eliminates the need for booking for 2 and then hoping to add 2 more when their window opens. I suppose it is possible that it has happened, but I've never seen or read of it. YOU cannot book for them on line until their window opens, but shoreside concierge can override the system and do it. They will also book excursions for them provided they are on the same excursion that the concierge guest is. They will not book anything for the other party unless they are going/dining with the concierge guest.

And yes, for boarding, the concierge guests can take advantage of their early boarding or they can wait and board later with the remainder of their party--their choice. But non-concierge guests cannot wait in the concierge area or board early with them. Again, this is the official policy, but I do know that it has been discretely waived on some occasions at the discretion of the CM working the concierge waiting area.