Shows passinger climbing over the cruise ships rail....idiot!

Tonka's Skipper

"Idiot" says it all. I hope that Carnival Corporation has banned this individual and the adults who should have been responsible for him from any future cruises for a LONG time!

At least the idiot teen who jumped off the Magic did it while the ship was in port! And he still deserves the "idiot" designation. Note--the area from which he jumped has been closed off and is no longer accessible to passengers.

Stupid and idiot aren't strong enough words to describe this individual.

It is a good thing it wasn't a DCL ship as he would have activated the automatic MOB alarm and security would have caught him quickly. As he chose to do this on a Carnival ship he probably got away with it.

ex techie

From all the reading I've seen on this incident, this "young person" and his friends had apparently been pulling this stuff all over the ship.

Had I been a witness to him climbing over, I probably would have yelled the two words that will get everyone's attention "MAN OVERBOARD".

Serious offenses seem rare on DCL. The kids on DCL can be very annoying, but they aren't usually engaged in life threatening behavior....at least that I've seen.

On the other hand, we saw some pretty dangerous stuff on Princess with no parents anywhere around--tweens jumping from an upper deck into a 7 foot pool as well as jumping and diving into the pool from the appropriate level. Sorry, the signs say "NO DIVING" and "No Jumping" and that pool was not nearly deep enough for diving.

He puts the lives of ships crew in danger who would have attempted to save his life........I am sure this crap happens often onboard.....I hope the video goes viral and he is banned for life as well as a hefty fine.

I'm not sure what kind of fine or charge Carnival could impose on the family since no damage occurred to the ship and no ship services were used, for example to rescue him?

Yes he endangered his own life, but since he did not fall he only potentially endangered the lives of a rescue crew.

I do agree that being banned for a period of say 5 years or until they are 21 for the individual and anyone else found to be an accomplice would be appropriate though.

Enough to give them time to grow up and consider their actions and the repercussions their actions can have on others.

ex techie

I'm not sure what kind of fine or charge Carnival could impose on the family since no damage occurred to the ship and no ship services were used, for example to rescue him?

Yes he endangered his own life, but since he did not fall he only potentially endangered the lives of a rescue crew.

ex techie

He broke the rules and a major one....letting him and his family off lightly only downplays the significance of his actions and encourages future rule breaking.

If a drunk driver crosses the centerline and rolls up on a sidewalk yet is able to drive himself back in his proper lane and make it home, under your analogy he hurt no one, damaged nothing so therefore you are not sure a fine or charge is warranted????

Edited by rolloman

He broke the rules and a major one....letting him and his family off lightly only downplays the significance of his actions and encourages future rule breaking.

If a drunk driver crosses the centerline and rolls up on a sidewalk yet is able to drive himself back in his proper lane and make it home, under your analogy he hurt no one, damaged nothing so therefore you are not sure a fine or charge is warranted????

The problem how could carnival fine them?

If something was broken carnival could go after damages.

In international waters rules are completely different.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think Techie's point is that the ship has no legal authority to fine him or the filmer as this is not spelled out in advance. Driving under the influence is a legal offense with a specified range of penalties.

If a guest causes damage to the ship or otherwise costs money to the ship for extra crew time, repairs, or otherwise, those charges can be passed on to a guest--not as a fine, but as a means of reparations. I am well aware of a family being charged for damages to the cabin done by their teen and adult children. This individual did not cost the ship money with his antics, did not damage the ship, etc. I got the impression that Techie believes he should be punished, but isn't sure that the ship is able to penalize him beyond not allowing him to cruise again. And based on his years as a CM, he probably has more insight than we do.

Edited by moki'smommy

I do agree that being banned for a period of say 5 years or until they are 21 for the individual and anyone else found to be an accomplice would be appropriate though.

Enough to give them time to grow up and consider their actions and the repercussions their actions can have on others.

It wouldn't be an unusual penalty:

If you wander off the territory at a theme park into the Restricted employee or hazardous areas, and not by accident, it can be grounds for immediately being kicked out of the park, and banned for life if repeat offender.

No law, just guest safety, violation of private property, and enforcement of company policy.

I'm not sure of maritime law, but I'm sure most cruise ships consider the outside hull of the ship as Restricted to guests except in emergencies.

Edited by EJanss

IMO the cruise industry needs industry wide bands not just individual line bands.

Would we want these antics happening on one of our cruises?

True--I don't know if the entire industry has a mechanism in place for doing this. But Carnival Corporation includes far more than Carnival Cruise Line--they also own Princess, Costa, Holland America, Seabourn, Cunard, etc. I would think they have (or should have) a mechanism to ban a guest on every line they own.

In international waters rules are completely different.

The real rules of international waters are the Captain of each vessel makes his own. You can look at each ship as being its own country governed by the Captain/Master of the vessel. Fact.

Now if the kid made it back to port in the USA....Carnival Corp. will handle it according to their protocols.

The standard "punishment" for a misbehaving teen on DCL is that they are not permitted outside the cabin except in the company of their father. If the father was involved in this action, I have no idea what DCL would do. While they do have a location where an adult can be securely segregated from the ship's population, they don't use this for minors.