Liquor Policy & Drinks Prices on Oceania

Bollinge

We are thinking of going on Insignia this summer.

What is the price of drinks and wines in the restaurants? Elsewhere on this board someone has described them as "expensive".

Moreover, do they allow you to bring your own drinks on board, and what is the corkage charge?

The last two cruises we went on (Carnival Victory, never again; and MSC Musica) had a petty policy of confiscating any booze they spotted in the X-ray machine, only to return it to you shortly before disembarkation...... Still smuggled plenty through though!

Sorry folks, just spotted two recent previous threads asking the same question.......Doh!

Sorry folks, just spotted two recent previous threads asking the same question.......Doh!

But I now have noticed that the other replies do not address the on-board drinks prices.

So, does anyone know, for example, how much an imported beer, a bottle of Californian Chardonnay, a Chilean Merlot and a French Champagne, costs on Oceania?

We went on the Silversea cruise line and everything was included drinks wine tips,I would suggest you compare prices and if your a big drinker, and a big tipper, check them out.

Thats a great idea, but does anyone actually have a definative answer to the OP question??

Host Dan

We just returned from Carribean on Regatta (marvelous). We are drinkers. We brought aboard liquor with no problem and had it only in room. We did not buy wine ashore however if you do there is a $20.00 corkage fee in the dining rooms. As for the prices on wines we only did chardonnay different kinds. Our usual bottle cost 46.02 with the 18% tip added. We did do another kind of chardonnay (forget the name) in Polo which was 61.36 with tip all other brand name bar drinks were about 7.00 and up. They do have 3 daily drink specials made with bar rack liquor which are about $5.00. To say the least when I added up our drink bill it came to $1300.00. Time to give the drinking a little more serious thought:rolleyes: . Hope this has helped some

But I now have noticed that the other replies do not address the on-board drinks prices.

So, does anyone know, for example, how much an imported beer, a bottle of Californian Chardonnay, a Chilean Merlot and a French Champagne, costs on Oceania?

I hope that you do not expect anyone who has sailed Oceania to be able to supply you with a detailed price list of each and every type of drink?

There were drink price cards on the tables at Martinis bar, but the wine list at dinner was at least twenty pages long! I really don't recall any particular price - but let's just say that Oceania's prices are about the same as any good restaurant price in the U.S. or the U. K.

If this is so important to you, ask your TA to contact Oceania and try to get you a wine list or drink list. Good Luck!

Does anyone recall the name and price of a bottle of their "house wine?" My husband and I always enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with dinner each evening - but in the $46 - $62 range, might make us head for the wagon :-)

If you like to have a cocktail before dinner, there are 2 for 1 specials on most drinks from 5:00 to 6:00 in the Martini and Horizon Bars.

Every evening in all of the dining rooms, we had a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon (No 220 on the Wine List) which cost $43.66 tax included.

Don

I don't know the brands, but remember that you could buy a glass of the house wine at the Terrace Cafe for about $8 (tip included). It was a decent glass and a nice wine.

I don't remember seeing any bottles for under $40.

(These memories are from a cruise in early 2007, so I'm certain the prices have gone up.)

I hope that you do not expect anyone who has sailed Oceania to be able to supply you with a detailed price list of each and every type of drink?

No, that's why I requested a representative sample of the price of just four drinks.

CCer drrtc2 posted the following information about 2 months ago. I imagine it is still current. Need to plan carefully to avoid a big bar tab. :)

*Definitive answer to Oceania ship liquor, drinks, wine, water, etc*

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Only concierge level and above have refrigerators. All the others have

> plenty of ice in buckets replenished twice a day. Beer is $5.51 for

> Bud, and $7.20 for Grosch. Drink of the Day is $5+ at the bar. 2 for 1

> from 5 till 6. Ok to have liquor in the room, but not for public

> consumption. All iced tea and tap water is free. All sodas and bottled

> water cost about $2.50. Cheapest wine was about $50 a bottle.

> If you like to drink you can end up with a very high tab at the end.

Hmm, so, let's say 4 or 5 Grolsch a day, that's $36, a bottle of wine, $50, and a couple of bottles of water, $10. Oh, and a cocktail or two, say, $20. That's getting up there! For a 14-day cruise, that's, ah, about ~$1700 just in liquor. Wow, that really *does* make me want to go on the wagon.

Since I've become accustomed at home to having a glass of wine in the hour before dinner, I always place a few bottles of favorite wine in my luggage and enjoy it in my cabin with no corkage. Well, except on NCL, where they demand corkage even to have wine in your cabin!

Bill

It is pretty dear on Oceania, Bollinge. Recommend you pack several bottles in your luggage, well wrapped obviously. Of course its possible to smuggle day to day, some security are more 'jobsworth' than others.

It is pretty dear on Oceania, Bollinge. Recommend you pack several bottles in your luggage, well wrapped obviously. Of course its possible to smuggle day to day, some security are more 'jobsworth' than others.

I must be missing somthing here. Why would you pack bottles of wine and liquer in you carry on luggage, when the weight limit has been reduced and your going to pay for over the weight limits.Taking a chance something might break and cost you more to replace.

Also your paying x amount of dollars to vacation and if you went out for dinner you would pay for your wine or drinks anyway.

It boggles the mind.

CruseKrazy - thank you for finding that post. It looks like we will have to budget between $1300 and $1700 for beer and wine for twelve days. That's all we needed to know, now we won't have any "sticker shock" at the end of the cruise.

Acrusa - It's not that we are "big drinkers" it's just that being European, we always drink wine with dinner, rarely alone in the cabin. I'm sure most people are aware of Silversea's all inclusive rates - that's why we chose Oceania! Some folk can only consider x amount of dollars for a vacation and others can go for the xxx type cruises.

digby - but who goes to a "fine restaurant" each night for twelve days straight?

Does anyone know if they serve Ale and not just lager type beer?

My sentiments exactly. I have every intention of picking up and sampling a "local" bottle of wine or two at each port and drinking them on board. Oceania allows you to bring liquer on board. I also enjoy wine with dinner but I can't afford a bottle a night.

Jean

FWI - one doesn't have to smuggle anything alcoholic aboard O. One is allowed to bring it aboard without fear of it being confiscated. Don't confuse O with the cheap, mass market lines that have ridiculous alcohol policies.

Wherever we've been, I always go out and look for a wine shop and I usually find one.

"digby - but who goes to a "fine restaurant" each night for twelve days straight?"

Well, if you are in a place like Hawaii for a couple of weeks eating out 3 times a day, do you eat at fine restaurants every night or go to McDonald's every other night? It's the same thing when we travel to Las Vegas or NYC. When we are at home, we eat out once or twice a week, but when traveling it is every day because we have developed the habit of eating every day. LOL!

I too was just on the 12 day on Regatta. It was very nice. My wife and I like to drink champagne, so we stopped at the Total Wine when we got off the plane in Ft. Lauderdale (on our way to Miami) and picked up two cases. It was about $36/bottle for Veuve Clicquot (without sales tax). On board the same bottle was, if my memory is correct, $95 plus 18% tip/tax/whatever. No one questioned our bring it aboard. We put it in duffle bags. $20 corkage fee applied anytime we took a bottle to dinner. Yes, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs..... even with sharing, we had 6 bottles leftover. Time for another cruise I guess!

Mark

I must be missing somthing here. Why would you pack bottles of wine and liquer in you carry on luggage,...

Also your paying x amount of dollars to vacation and if you went out for dinner you would pay for your wine or drinks anyway.

It boggles the mind.

I agree about carrying things with you--perhaps a bottle of liquor at the duty-free, but anything else, no thanks. But the reason why I whinge about the cost is that we're used to an all-inclusive cruiseline (RSSC). Even before they were completely inclusive, wine with dinner was included, plus free cocktail parties, and all soft drinks, so it was tough to rack up a bar bill much over $100 on a 10 day cruise. Since we are drinkers, I have to factor in the cost of this, which is substantial.

Archived