What's the earliest time for return flight?

mividajp

Going on the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral. What is the earliest time we should safely book our return flight out of Orlando? Keeping in mind latest possible time we might get off the ship in case of unexpected delays and the longest time it might take us to get through security at Orlando International.

Thanks for any info and advice. :)

I wouldn't book anything before noon. You could certainly get to the airport in time for an earlier flight, but I wouldn't push it. TSA lines at MCO can be brutal as well.

You have to be off the ship by 9:00, but you will likely be off well before that. What kind of transportation are you taking to MCO? If you are doing a rental car there can be delays with that depending on how backed up the shuttles are, etc.

DCL used to say noon, but THEY book people on 11:30 flights. Absolutely nothing before 11, and a little later is better. Yes, I've been at MCO at 9, but I've also had cruises where there was a Customs delay in clearing the ship and the big doors didn't open till after 9.

On a "normal" cruise, nothing before 11, not even 2 minutes before. The closer you are to 12, the better.

Thanks! I was actually thinking noon would be pushing it so I'm glad I asked. I was thinking maybe 3:00pm but it sounds like we'd be sitting around the airport for a while.

I hate being anxious about whether we're going to make it to a flight on time. I like to give myself at least a one hour cushion for any unexpected delays.

We've been through MCO several times and security is always a toss up. It's always taken us anywhere from 15-30min to get through and then getting to the gate can take a little time as well.

Thanks again for the info! It definitely gives me a better idea.

I agree with all the PP, 1200 at the earliest and in fact, we usually shoot for early afternoon.

There are a number of delays that can happen,

1. The vessel is late arriving, weather or mechanical.

2. The Port is closed down for weather or traffic or whatever.

3. US Customs delays releasing the vessel and passengers.

4. Transportation to MCO is late or there is traffic or a accident back up or construction.

5. Your car or bus breaks down or has a accident.

6. TSA is backed up!

Now these things do not happen often but every now and then some do.:eek: Its best to give yourself the time.

AKK

Thanks! I was actually thinking noon would be pushing it so I'm glad I asked. I was thinking maybe 3:00pm but it sounds like we'd be sitting around the airport for a while.

I hate being anxious about whether we're going to make it to a flight on time. I like to give myself at least a one hour cushion for any unexpected delays.

We've been through MCO several times and security is always a toss up. It's always taken us anywhere from 15-30min to get through and then getting to the gate can take a little time as well.

Thanks again for the info! It definitely gives me a better idea.

If you have a flight later in the day, the Hyatt in the airport offers day rooms so you can rest, have a nap, use the pool, etc, and then fly home refreshed.

We took an 11:30AM flight after our cruise last summer. Disney hustled us right off the ship. We got to the airport with no issues and ended up flying out later than expected due to weather. I agree that later is better - even if you have to hang around.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look into the Hyatt day rooms. We have three toddlers that will need a nap. We have strollers but they don't always sleep very well and wake up cranky. It would be nice to have a place to keep our luggage and somewhere quiet and cool for the kids to nap.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look into the Hyatt day rooms. We have three toddlers that will need a nap. We have strollers but they don't always sleep very well and wake up cranky. It would be nice to have a place to keep our luggage and somewhere quiet and cool for the kids to nap.

With 3 toddlers, definitely consider a day room if your flight is mid to late afternoon. The rooms are $89, with taxes, that comes to right at $100. You can swim, nap, shower, and just hang out. They do charge additional for wifi, but if you are on the side that faces the terminal you can pick up the free airport wifi.