DCL repositioning out of Galveston January of 16

Jester74

We'll be in the wonder going from Galveston to San Juan and I was wondering where to stay in Galveston before and San Juan after. We'll be flying in one way and I thought about staying in the Hilton on the ocean side of Galveston and taking a cab to the port the day we're sailing. We're also thinking about staying in San Juan for a couple days. Any pointers would be awesome!

• 3 months later...

I was thinking of booking this cruise as well, but I live in Texas so would not be staying at hotel in Galveston. I would think all the Galveston hotels would be fairly cheap considering it will be January. I was looking at hotels for San Juan on Travelzoo and there seem to be a lot of options between 80-200/nt that range from decent to high end. Have you cruised Disney before? I never have so I am debating doing this cruise. I've only heard good things about Disney but its so much more expensive. I don't mind as long as its worth it.... and I also don't want kids running around everywhere.

My sister and I are booked on this cruise. I have sailed several times from Galveston and had good experiences with the different hotels that I have stayed at. I loved Harbor House because it is next to the pier and you can get a room that allows you to watch the ship arriving. I have also enjoyed staying at San Luis and the Marriott Courtyard Galveston Island Gulf Front. All had shuttles to and from the ship, I am not aware of any hotel that has a shuttle to the airport.

I have also sailed from San Juan. I had a late arrival the night before the cruise, so chose something more convenient to the terminal, vs on the beach. I was extremely happy with my accommodation at the Sheraton Old San Juan.

I would recommend the Gulf Departures board and the Port of Call board for more information about places to stay.

I have sailed Disney twice. Both on the Wonder. My sister and I sailed from Galveston in Dec of 2013. And I sailed solo on last year's Eastbound Panama Canal. There are a number of adult only venues, as well as some shows that are adult only. The cruise line wants to keep adults as well entertained as the children. I think the time of year will limit the number of children onboard.

I will be glad to try to answer any other question you have.

Lesa

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely stay in San Juan! We stayed 2 nights before departing on a southern Caribbean cruise and really liked it. Old San Juan was a lot of fun to tour through, and the views from and around the old forts (el Moro) were great. I would definitely go back, good food, music, sightseeing. We stayed in the Hilton and took cabs into Old San Juan. If you can afford it, El Convento is beautiful, right in the old town, by the cathedral.

I was thinking of booking this cruise as well, but I live in Texas so would not be staying at hotel in Galveston. I would think all the Galveston hotels would be fairly cheap considering it will be January. I was looking at hotels for San Juan on Travelzoo and there seem to be a lot of options between 80-200/nt that range from decent to high end. Have you cruised Disney before? I never have so I am debating doing this cruise. I've only heard good things about Disney but its so much more expensive. I don't mind as long as its worth it.... and I also don't want kids running around everywhere.

We've sailed disney twice, the week before christmas. There were fewer kids than I expected, and way less than on Carnival the week of thanksgiving, but more than RCL SOS in Jan. Chances are if school is in season, there will be fewer kids.

Edited by Gardeneroflove