Flying in 2 days early What Would You Do

campnrp

I have spent hours looking through past posts and what I have determined is there really is not a bad choice this however makes things worse for a person who is as indecisive as I am. So I would like to ask you.

Background

This will be our first family vacation with two boys age 3 and 6. We decided to fly in two days early in order to enjoy one full day at Seaworld or Magic Kingdom as we do not foresee getting to our hotel from the airport until about 2 pm.

My question is would you stay at a Disney hotel take disney transfers and then do either SeaWorld or MK

Or stay at a non Disney hotel do Seaworld and possibly rent a car.

I want to make sure there are enough activities at the hotel to keep the boys entertained the day we arrive as I believe they will be full of excitement of what's to come.

I have spent hours looking through past posts and what I have determined is there really is not a bad choice this however makes things worse for a person who is as indecisive as I am. So I would like to ask you.

Background

This will be our first family vacation with two boys age 3 and 6. We decided to fly in two days early in order to enjoy one full day at Seaworld or Magic Kingdom as we do not foresee getting to our hotel from the airport until about 2 pm.

My question is would you stay at a Disney hotel take disney transfers and then do either SeaWorld or MK

Or stay at a non Disney hotel do Seaworld and possibly rent a car.

I want to make sure there are enough activities at the hotel to keep the boys entertained the day we arrive as I believe they will be full of excitement of what's to come.

MY personal preference (at this time) would be to stay at a WDW resort and go to one of the parks. Then use DCL transfers to the port.

Depends on your interests what you'll be likely to do.

Absolutely no question. If you have not been to Kennedy Space Center to see the new Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit, you must go - it's a once in a lifetime experience. Atlantis was the last shuttle to fly and KSC has put her in a spectacular exhibit hall. She is displayed as if she were in flight, cargo bay doors open, with robot arm extended. You have the chance to see her just how it looked in flight.

It really depends on what you want.

3 is a little young for the space center, IMHO. You really need to decide whether you want to do WDW or Sea World and make your housing choices accordingly. WDW hotels will have plenty to keep the kids occupied the first day without going to a park. And if you feel the need, you can always take them to Downtown Disney (although I'd stay at the resort). You could totally avoid renting a car and driving with this plan.

Sea World has partnered with area hotels to offer some AMAZING packages that include all food, park admission, and hotel stay. Of course, this plan would involve a rental car.

There isn't a right or wrong here....it's just a matter of which you prefer to do.

Absolutely no question. If you have not been to Kennedy Space Center to see the new Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit, you must go - it's a once in a lifetime experience. Atlantis was the last shuttle to fly and KSC has put her in a spectacular exhibit hall. She is displayed as if she were in flight, cargo bay doors open, with robot arm extended. You have the chance to see her just how it looked in flight.

I agree it's a stunning display, but keep in mind she is traveleing with a three and six year old.

I agree with Shmoo--DME to Disney resort, Disney park, Disney cruise bus to the port.

Plenty of things to do at Disney resorts to keep kids occupied.

With kids aged 3 and 6, I'd have difficulty spending the cost of 1 day tickets for everyone to WDW. At $400 for a single day for a family, I'm not sure I'd do it. At 3 and 6, naps are a strong possibility for most (if not all) kids and night time events may be too late for the little ones. Even getting a 9am start (be there for 8:30am for rope drop), so 4 hours in the morning - back to the hotel for a nap, back to the park for 2:30pm and calling it a day around 7:30pm, I'd guess that you have 9 hours max which is going to include 2 meals (lunch and dinner - so even with fast food, you'll looking at 45 mins each meal by the time you purchase the food, find a table, eat, clear up, etc ) So you can subtract 1.5 hours for that so you're down to 7.5 hours. Fastpass+ will give you 3-4 guaranteed rides (say Peter Pan, Dumbo, Little Mermaid, and maybe the kiddie coaster or speedway). If the adults want to ride anything with a height restriction, you'll have to do the rider switch which means some waiting around for the kids. Add in frequent bathroom breaks for the little bladders and you've already used up most of your day.

Personally, I think you'd start your vacation on a stressful and expensive note. If it were me, I'd stay at the Art of Animation hotel in one of the family suites and maybe enjoy a pool day OR rent a car and stay at a beach resort for the day (especially if your kids haven't seen an ocean / beach). The latter is what we're doing in November with my cousin and her 4 kids (age 7, 5 3, and 16 months). I think a single day at WDW when the kids have never been would be too stressful, too many "no, you're not tall enough", "no, we're not waiting an hour to see the Princesses" (because I know we'll see them on the ship but explain that to a 5 year old when there are hundreds of other little girls lining up).

We're staying for 2 nights (basically 1.5 days) at the Marriott Oceana Palms in Riviera beach (mind you, I picked that hotel because we're sailing on the Magic out of Miami so it's only 1.5 hours away by car for an easy Sunday morning drive to the ship). I like the idea of introducing the kids to the beach and the ocean before heading to Castaway Cay. They've been to lakes and "beaches" here in Canada but they are nothing like the seemingly endless beaches of Florida. It'll also let us start the vacation relaxed with no schedules and being able to sleep in (which I am hoping we don't do on the ship).

With 2 ages 3 and 6, I would probably go to the Caribbean Beach Resort at WDW and get one of the pirate themed rooms. They cost a little more than the normal one but it would be exciting for the kids to sleep in a bed the shape of a pirate ship. With the themed pool at Old Port Royal and the kids area there they would probably be happy just being there - and some nights they have a movie at the resort as well. You could always hop a bus over to Downtown Disney to fill in some time (the Lego store, etc). You probably wouldn't have to spend a day at a Disney Park because there would be enough to do at the resort for a day and 1/2.

we are traveling with 7, 5 and 4 year olds. Two nights before the cruise. We took the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge. Arriving late afternoon - we really have only one day before sailing. We will not leave the lodge - There is much to see and do - and most important for us - not have the children burn out with a long day in a park. We have the advantage of coming from So.Cal - many of the parks - have some sort of presence here - it's not lost opportunity not going. There is also the costs - frankly rather spend it during the 7 days. Another confession - we (the 2 adults) don't want to burn out early either. Sometimes less is more.

You didnt say when your vacation is planned. If its in the fall around Halloween or in December near Christmas, some nights Magic Kingdom is open for a special event. Mickey's Scary Halloween or Mickeys Christmas Party are special events with special, lower priced than a full day, tickets. You can get into the park after 4 and stay til it closes between 11 and 12. The rides have shorter lines from about 7 on when those without the special ticket have to leave. You can see a lot in a very short time.

I would stay at a WDW resort and use their Magic Express, free, from the airport to the hotel. You have to schedule it as part of your resort planning. Then Id take Disney transportation to the port and from the port back to the airport. With your family of four its about a wash in price doing that or hiring a car company. The advantage of the car company is that they will stop at a store selling alcohol if you want to purchase some to take onboard the ship and you might get a better choice of when you'd like to go. The bus has growing excitement for the kids doing something that is new to them.

We have taken our grandson every year since he was six months old. He is now four. He may not remember specifics but we are building those memories and we remember his face and his smiles and his dancing feet and those memories have value too.

I would:

Take a Disney transfer from airport to a Disney Value Resort.

Enjoy the pool at the hotel that afternoon.

Go to Downtown Disney that evening.

Back to the hotel early for a good night's sleep.

Then a day at Magic Kingdom. With a trip back to the hotel mid-afternoon for naps.

Disney bus to port

We just cruised on the Magic (Western Caribbean departed on April 5). We did essentially what a poster above recommended ...landed late AM on a Friday at MCO, spent first afternoon at our hotel (disney Dolphin in our case) with dinner that night in Downtown Disney. Our next day was a Saturday and we got to Magic kingdom when it opened (7 am...day before. Easter) and had a blast till about 1 pm. We then went back to the hotel and swam and relaxed and had dinner at the hotel. We left the hotel around 10 am Sunday to head to Port Canaveral. My kids are older than OP's (mine are 10,10,and 7) but wanted to share this as, for us, it was a perfect start to our Disney Cruise vacation. Yes, MK for 5 people was $500 so that may not work for everyone, but we had budgeted for that and really enjoyed our day there especially since we went early. That being said, I think even staying in the WDW area and just enjoying your hotel will build up excitement for your cruise...have a great time!

Wow, great ideas

I'll be honest I was a little nervous asking everyone for recommendations considering I'm sure others have as well and I couldn't find the posts :) I am so happy I did, you all have great ideas. I'm going to be sharing the information with my hubby and after we decide what we are doing I'll let you know.

Thanks again!!

Sea World is having a fire sale because their attendance levels have dropped significantly in the past couple years. They are implementing a couple of new amenities over the next year or so to try to attract and retain guests. I'm in a meeting about one of them in a few hours. As soon as I am allowed to say what it is, I will share. :)

My friend just returned from a 4 day vacation at Sea World with her 2 grandchildren (16 year olds, so adult rates for parks and food). She literally paid $322 per person. I didn't believe it till I looked it up on line and saw it there as well. This included hotel, all you can eat food, and park tickets. There are multiple participating food locations in and out of the parks.

• 3 weeks later...

AND... We took our girls at the following ages AND NEVER REGRETTED IT- no crash and burn experience.

AND IT WAS ALWAYS SUMMER! June July August.

1- 2&4

2- 3&5

3- 10 mo. 5 & 7

4- 13 mo. 3, 8 & 10

5 - 3, 5, 10, & 12

6- 3, 6, 10, & 12

7- 4,7,11,13

8- 7, 9, 14, & 16

9 - 13 ,15 20 ( oldest couldn't go).

Always on property with a nap mid-day when they were little.

"Babies" slept in strollers sometimes. We have fantastic pictures of them when they we little with all the characters. Now that they are 15, 17, 22 & 24 they recall all the memories and the 22 year old will grad from college Monday and is getting married this summer with a week at the Boardwalk followed by a week on the Fantasy. We raised them right!

I would:

Take a Disney transfer from airport to a Disney Value Resort.

Enjoy the pool at the hotel that afternoon.

Go to Downtown Disney that evening.

Back to the hotel early for a good night's sleep.

Then a day at Magic Kingdom. With a trip back to the hotel mid-afternoon for naps.

Disney bus to port

This......in fact we have done this!;)

AKK

We are going in October and unfortunately the Halloween party doesn't like up during our stay otherwise we would be doing that. We booked at the Wilderness Lodge (this is a super big splurge for me) and are going to a character meal at the Contemporary and spending time between the Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness Campground. The Campground has great stuff to do for young kids and most of it isn't that expensive. We figure we will do a bunch of things we have never done before such as renting bikes/ boats/ pony rides and it will cost about the same or a bit less than going to MK for 1 day.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on your kids. I have traveled with two boys (nephews) those ages and we had to drag them out of the hotel pool to go to WDW. They both would have been much happier if we had let them play in the pool all day. If you really want to stay on Disney property and use Disney transport, you could stay in a value resort, play at the resort pool the first day, and spend the second day at one of the water parks. At least if you have water babies like my family does. Or just spend both days in the resort pool.