Question regarding confusing availability on TS September Barcelona Sailing

muchocean

Hello! Had a question about a specific sailing and some strange availability. The cruise is in Mid September, Barcelona to Florida on the Magic. A few months back some great pricing was available and as I have only cruised on NCL Transatlantic (which i love) i didn't pull the trigger.

Anyhow, as the time passed it became quite clear the Disney dates/sailing was my best option. So, sorry for the noob Disney questions but:

1. Is it odd that only a few balcony rooms still say available and everything else (seems) sold out? Specially considering that September 19 is solidly in the school year.

2. If it really is sold out and there isn't some strange issue that I don't understand, should i refresh the page a bunch on the paid in full date to check for drop outs?

Thanks so much!

This cruise has been mostly sold out for a long time. More than a year ago, we were unable to get an HA cabin balcony, and while we have a different category HA, are still trying to get one with a balcony. Over the year, some "regular" cabins have opened in various categories, but it has always been a cabin or two.

The penalty date is approaching. I do not expect a price drop. I do expect that some people will drop out, but I don't see it as "on the day." If you have a room reserved, you are going to be making a decision in the next week or two as to whether this is a "go" or not and then dealing with it. Most people cancel a little ahead to be sure it is processed by the penalty date.

What are you looking for? The inside cabins are only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a balcony (at least when I booked). If that's the issue, I'd get a TA on it and let them keep checking for you! But hitting "refresh" on the day is not likely to do a lot of good.

THese are cruises that interest a bunch of die hards--we've done at least 5 crossings (maybe 6, I'd have to look). Many people are the same on each one. We love sea days and the prices are good...but the air fare is a pain! The cruise typically sells out in terms of cabins, but is still very low on number of guests--lots of cabins with 2 people in them. Last time was the highest number of kids on a TA--600 age 0-17 per the cruise director. In 2013, it was 400. Normal on a Caribbean Magic cruise is about 1000 kids.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank a ton for your response. I guess I had no idea regarding this sort of cruise selling out. The other possibilities on other lines further into October have plenty of availability. I suppose it was just my (bad) assumption regarding Disney specifically. In terms of why this cruise, it's the date and embarkation port that make it perfect for me.

Anyhow, so, I prefer just the basic inner cheaper rooms as I am a solo traveler. Which is what I am looking for. Quite literally, the only class of room open right now is Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah for $2700. This is astronomically higher than what I saw even two months ago when checking. So most definitely, if the other room openings for inner cheaper areas end up coming out to $2500, it certainly wouldn't be worth it either way.

I really appreciate your response, thank you!

edit: oh and terms of getting a TA as opposed to the refresh. What about calling Disney one a day for a week or two and/or checking the site daily. I know this is sort of a ridiculous question but would this show rooms available instantly?

Edited by muchocean

As far as I can tell, DCL basically operates a "live" system--what you see on line is the same as what they can tell you on the phone. The one difference is that an agent can hold a cabin for 3 days to give them time to contact the client and secure payment. That cabin will not show up as available until the 3 days expire even though it is technically not sold.

When a room becomes available, it appears on the site virtually instantly. DCL can't tell you any more on the phone than you can see on line.

In terms of timing--my TA asks for final payment 2 weeks before it is due by DCL. Most agencies do something similar although the time frame may vary. This eliminates the risk of any processing delays, etc. SO, any of their clients will pay in full by May 12 or should notify them to cancel. A room opening should show sometime in the next 3 weeks. After that, the original booked guest will pay a cancelation penalty.

You are aware of the single supplement on DCL, right?

Seriously, thanks so much. This sort of information and just general bantering are what forums should be.

I will focus on trying to at the least get an idea of what a basic cabin would cost over the next 3 weeks. If that fails or if it is too expensive I will go with my next best option.

I am aware of the single supplement which from what I understand is pretty much not a thing. If I can get a room for under $1800 I would deal with it, anything above, not worth it.

Ummm....the single supplement on DCL is 100% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket. Essentially, you pay for two people, less the taxes and port charges, even though only one cruises.

OK, if it helps you....we currently have an oceanview room booked. My cruise fare (for 2) is $1755, taxes and port charges (for 2) are $160. As noted, this was booked more than a year ago. Total $1915. Final payment due May 22.

Ah, sorry, what I meant was that I am aware that there are no specials for single travelers at all.

And thanks, that does help a bit. If a non ocean view room opens in the $1700 total range which is obviously wishful thinking, it would be very doable for me.

Just keep checking. Rooms do sometimes open up to the time of embarkation. Unfortunate stuff happens which makes a space available for someone else.

I do think your best chance is between now and 5/22, but even after that space can open up.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update. I have not seen one, anything open up and have been checking 5 times a day since I opened this thread. Luckily I got on a waiting list for another cruise around this time and already got accepted. Still holding out hope for this one. As the other is Princess and I just have a feeling it wouldn't be as good of a time for me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not be releasing cabins as they come up. Unless people are so excited about this cruise that not one person has cancelled in two weeks. Seems unlikely and if all of a sudden I see a bunch of availability I will make sure to alert you!

Wanted to give an update. I have not seen one, anything open up and have been checking 5 times a day since I opened this thread. Luckily I got on a waiting list for another cruise around this time and already got accepted. Still holding out hope for this one. As the other is Princess and I just have a feeling it wouldn't be as good of a time for me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not be releasing cabins as they come up. Unless people are so excited about this cruise that not one person has cancelled in two weeks. Seems unlikely and if all of a sudden I see a bunch of availability I will make sure to alert you!

The PIF date is coming up in the next month, if there are going to be cancellations that is when it will occur.

PIF date for this one is 5/22 according to my confirmation.

I canceled this cruise a few weeks ago. Our cabin showed up on the web for about 10 seconds. Seriously, it popped up and less than 5 minutes later was gone. Hope someone enjoys it.

Well' date=' I just looked again to see if the category we want had opened. The only cabin currently available on this cruise is the 2 bedroom suite for the tiny price of $13,600.[/quote']

Last year we paid $699 per person plus taxes for an inside. I couldn't believe my luck.

This cruise now has availability in almost all categories. Looks like they had a lot of last minute cancellations.

Interestingly, the price of the category I booked is up about 30% over what I paid.

Edited by moki'smommy

Yep, I got a spot and was just waiting to post here. I went through an agent for a cheaper price and it took forever to confirm it worked. Anyhow, excited that this worked out.

Just to be clear, on DCL there is one price for each cabin. No agent can undercut the current rate. They CAN give you various perks for booking with them. If an agent is caught giving a cheaper price (by refunding part of their commission to you in cash) DCL will drop them--they won't be able to book DCL any more. They can give on board credit, gift cards, coupons, etc....but no reduced prices or cash back.

Hi.. I've been looking at Transatlantic cruises (on other lines other than Disney) but wondering if Disney is the way to go even thought it's a LOT more expensive.. looking at the one leaving Florida to England in May. So if it's a year out (Outside room for 4 is 6,000) can I expect the room prices to drop?? is this a decent price?? royal Caribbean is about 2,000 cheaper and you get a balcony.. thanks