Returning to Silversea

Bramcruiser

We did our first Silversea cruise in 2013 aboard the Silver Cloud - 9 days from London (Tower Bridge) to Reykjavik. Our first experience with the "all included" luxury service after years of mass market lines.

While we moved on we always knew that one day we might be back with Silversea. Well, in 2016 we will be doing just that and in an unexpected way - we're taking the jump to expedition cruising on the Explorer (Greenland to Newfoundland). A big jump in price but alas a once-in-a-lifetime experience we thought we couldn't resist. And what better way than to do it than with Silversea.

Looking forward to our return!

Exciting Silversea return voyage for you David & Richard--we did have a magnificent Cloud voyage to Reykjavik didn't we. Remember our Cloud/Cruise Critic meet & mingle:

ice18aft010_zps959abf32.jpg

Ida and I board the Spirit in Sydney in just over three weeks--can't wait.

Hi Wes. The Silver Cloud voyage was very memorable and it was a great intro to Silversea. Thanks for posting that pic - brings back memories.

2015 is the first year in 11 years that we are not doing a cruise. Instead we're taking the train across Canada. Another bucket list item we're finally going to do. Got relatives out on the west coast we can visit before returning home.

Say hi to Ida for us and all the best on your Spirit trip out of Sydney. Australia is another on our bucket list.

You will love the Explorer we were in Antartica last month and it was the best holiday we have ever had.

Hotel Director Sujith and Restaurant Manager Anna did a great job and all staff were superb.

The expedition team were fantastic and made our trip so memorable.

• 9 months later...

Update. Our Silver Explorer cruise is still on and looking forward to it more than ever. We booked our flight to Copenhagen and spending two days there before flying on to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (also booked) to catch up with the Explorer. Exploring the Arctic will be a most unusual experience and one we hope to be memorable. Being Canadian, we've never been to Newfoundland before so decide to spend three days there before we fly home.

Wes, sorry to see that the Muse inaugural voyage wasn't turning out to be all it could be. I see there are lots of people passing on it. Still glad you and Ida are able to find other adventures.

Hi Bramcruiser/David & Richard, y'alls Explorer cruise sounds exciting, especially the chance to visit Greenland.

Yes, we moved on from our keen interest in the Silver Muse, but thanks to some firm recruiting by Wellseasoned (Dieter & Debbie for over a year) and Ida's new willingness to visit South America--we will enjoy the Spirit in late Jan/Feb as our voyage visits the eastern coast of Brazil (incl Rio/Carnaval), Uruguay and Argentina (Buenos Aires). If we enjoy this eastern side of SoAm on the Spirit, we will most likely book the Spirit again next Jan for the western SoAm Voyage (Fll to Valpariso, Valpariso to Buenos Aires).

• 8 months later...

Wow, hard to believe I first posted this back in January 2015. After well over a year of planning I almost had to cancel the trip for medical reasons. This May I ended up spending two weeks in the hospital with a number of issues happening all at the same time. I had to take a two months leave of absence from work. Its time like those that make you think about what really is important in life and your work/life balance. Fortunately I am about 90% recovered and am back to work (although now I am thinking is early retirement in the cards?). I now have to live with the fact I am diabetic but that is being managed by both diet and exercise.

As of now it looks like the three week vacation is now a "go". Considering how tenuous life can be I am looking at this with new eyes - treat every adventure as your last one and enjoy it while you can as you never know what tomorrow brings you.

If exercise and rest is what the doctor ordered then the Silver Explorer is the perfect antidote.Looking forward to seeing Greenland (everyone at work asks me why I want to go there), Nunavut and the arctic waters. Hope to see some polar bears. Wildlife always seems to be away on vacation the days I show up. :)

Wes, looking at that group photo makes me laugh. I lost some of that pot belly but the hospital does that to you.

Only a few weeks to go! Can't believe how fast a year and a half flew by!

David

PS - tickets arrived online just on Friday. Did the e-document dance already.

Hi David, thanks for sharing a heartfelt health experience that we all can learn from. So happy for y'all that you will be able to enjoy your Explorer voyage. Looking very forward to reading your Explorer posts (during or after) your voyage. Happy Doc Dancing too! And most importantly, press on with keeping your Diabetes under control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bramcruiser, glad you're recovered and (almost) ready to head out on Silver Explorer. Hospitals are no place to be! I work in one, so I know. ;)

Explorer is one of our favorites! Our very first SS cruise was on that ship - when she (he?) was Prince Albert II - back in 2009 to Antarctica. We've been back two other times, to cruise Svalbard, and the Panama Canal. And we will make it a fourth voyage in October 2017, Guayaquil to Valparaiso.

Wishing you a great journey and good health. Having visited Greenland a few times (cruise ship stops in the south) I totally understand why you want to visit. One day when we have time, we'll do a more in-depth expedition cruise there for sure.

Hi Bramcruiser/David & Richard, y'alls Explorer cruise sounds exciting, especially the chance to visit Greenland.

Yes, we moved on from our keen interest in the Silver Muse, but thanks to some firm recruiting by Wellseasoned (Dieter & Debbie for over a year) and Ida's new willingness to visit South America--we will enjoy the Spirit in late Jan/Feb as our voyage visits the eastern coast of Brazil (incl Rio/Carnaval), Uruguay and Argentina (Buenos Aires). If we enjoy this eastern side of SoAm on the Spirit, we will most likely book the Spirit again next Jan for the western SoAm Voyage (Fll to Valpariso, Valpariso to Buenos Aires).

Consider joining Lucille and I on the MUSE Oct 31 2017 VAL to BUE ???