Whispering up the Amazon

Master Echo

We embarked Silver Whisper yesterday in Barbados, after the inevitable rip-off taxi fare from the Hilton Hotel. Also in port was the hideous P&O Brittania, the rather gaudy Tui's Mein Schiff 3, Windstar Pride, (last seen in Rhodes in October) and slightly larger than the latter, unknown registry of a ship called Freewinds.

Embarkation was as smooth as to be expected and we were onboard.well before noon. We ascertained that there are just 216 on board, of whom 16 are b2b, and voices heard around the ship, suggest that most are from the UK.

They always say that your reputation proceeds you, and it was therefore reassuring that the staff from Martin the HD, down to waiters, and butlers with whom we have sailed previously, went out of their way to come and greet us with great warmth.

The ship has recently been partially re carpeted and we flagged up with Martin whether special arrangements would be put in place for dealing with muddy shoes returning on board from some of the Amazon ports. Martin thanked us for the reminder and said he would make appropriate arrangements.

The safety drill unusually was not held until 18.00, with the CC meet and mingle put back until 19.30. Unfortunately this clashed with a prior dinner engagement and so we tendered our apologies.

We dined in La Terrazza along with very few others and ate outside on a balmy Bridgetown evening. The menu has changed since March, with a substantially extended dessert section, as also was the starters, and a complete cheese menu. The meal itself was one of the best we have ever had in LaTerrazza, superior to some where we have previously eaten with the Captain.

We retired to bed at 23.00 as Whisper slipped her moorings and sailed for Bequia, leaving the other ships still alongside.

Bequia - November 21

We have visited this laid back little island in the Grenadines several times, and after a leisurely breakfast, tendered ashore and found an upstairs cafe with free wifi- but expensive beer- and a lovely view over the bay.

Missed you at Meet & Mingle where we had a good natter with Sheena and Chris, delightful company.

According to an officer onboard, demographics for the Nov. 20th Amazon RT from Barbados break out thusly: 60% U.K., 30% North American, 6% German.

According to an officer onboard, demographics for the Nov. 20th Amazon RT from Barbados break out thusly: 60% U.K., 30% North American, 6% German.

OctoberKat: I had a feeling this voyage wasn't even close to fully booked. Our first Silverseas adventure and we are so very impressed with staff -- all kindly' date=' competent and cheerful. [/quote']

Super wonderful to have these expert and detailed Master Echo reports with the exciting title of "Whispering up the Amazon". Glad to see the nice added details from OctoberKat, including for the ship demographics. Let us know when you find out on the final count for the total number of passengers on the ship.

Look forward to reading more and following along. Keep it coming!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,582 views for these postings.

Bon Voyage Master Echo and October Kat. You have embarked on a really special voyage and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did several years ago.

Master Echo - I remember when we were in Bequia last time with you and you two took a sailing excursion while we walked around the island. It is a very interesting place. We were fortunate to be "picked up" by the lady who owns Mangwana, a very beautiful house high up in the hills and shown around her property. What a treat!

Our favorite excursion was the jungle survival hike which was most informative. I look forward to hearing all about your trip.

Bon Voyage Master Echo and October Kat. You have embarked on a really special voyage and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did several years ago.

Master Echo - I remember when we were in Bequia last time with you and you two took a sailing excursion while we walked around the island. It is a very interesting place. We were fortunate to be "picked up" by the lady who owns Mangwana, a very beautiful house high up in the hills and shown around her property. What a treat!

Our favorite excursion was the jungle survival hike which was most informative. I look forward to hearing all about your trip.

Third day aboard, docked at lovely St. George. Jim has a chess game this afternoon whilst I spa. Service continues superb, so comfortable on board. Minoe glitches fixed instantly with a gracious smile. The true test of luxury service really can be defined by how well and willingly recovery is made.

Dining tonight in Le Champagne. Planning to splurge on a Sancerre and an Amarone.

Virtuoso cocktail party yesterday in the observation lounge, probably my favorite space on the ship. Which reminds me, i've not seen nor smelled any smoking anywhere but I'm sure there must be some.

Greta, our cabin steward, pleasant and kind; we are so well cared for.

Other than piped opera in La Terrazza, there is zip classical music but we've yet to make it to afternoon tea which we'll get yo today.

Coffee is distinctly palatable and we've been testing it often. Recommend the capuccino, too. On the other hand, not thrilled with the Pommery Louise so may break down and opt for premium bubbles.

Hoping to meet Master Echo and Co. We are in 601.

Edited by OctoberKat

Grenada Nov 22

It was interesting yesterday in Bequia to observe election canvassing Caribbean style. A guy dressed all in red with the party name on his T-shirt, walked up the Main Street repeatedly blowing a whistle and entreating people to go and vote.

Back on board we sampled the new Pool Grill lunch menu just launched that day. This is more extensive than previously and the choices were more in keeping with a luxury cruise line than the previous offering which was probably akin to a four style hotel. Sergio, the Restaurant Manager is quite proud of the change.

Cruise Director Vicky hosted the afternoon Trivia which she admitted was run on the lines of her mentor, Colin Brown, even down to including a question about phobias! As yet there appears no "collective" question! This first session was quite well attended and good humoured. Before we started she did ask what nationalities were in the room, most were from England, a Scot, Dutch, Mexican,Canadians, an Australian, Filipino and a party of Norwegians, so a nice mix.

Golf putting attracted an unusually large number, so only two rounds were played, the last of which resembled a chicane!

With only 216 passengers, the MDR was quite empty, and the service was good. The dessert menu was the same as that offered the previous night in Terrazza.

The "Voices of Silversea" who historically are "operatic" singers, but had little or no dancing skills, which is not conducive to performing Abba or Motown, is not the case with this six. Not only are their voices excellent, but their dancing and slickness in routines were brilliant.

We docked earlier than the 7.00 am schedule, and Captain Luigi exhibited extreme displeasure at the dock staff who seemed incapable of tying the ropes. It was not just us that suffered, there was also a kerfuffle with Regatta, and much shouting from on board at them.- they appeared at 8.30, tying adjacent to us.

Being a Sunday, the majority of the shops in town were closed, with only a few in the terminal building offering tourist gifts and clothes, and duty free alcohol and cigarettes.

Thank you Embtsam & Colonel Wes & Terry for your kind comments. We still have your Bequia pictures you took of us on the Friendship Rose on that Spirit cruise in 2011.

Above is the next instalment! Sorry about the M&M - as it was so late we had a prior dinner engagement, but we did tender our apologies for non attendance.

Some gossip! Fernando is incapacitated, and Colin will be deputising for the whole of the 2016 world cruise. Let's hope that the Whisper's piano will be up to his requirements, or he might throw a hissy fit!

Sail away today at 16.00 with rum punches from 15.45 - I am sure none of you will be jealous?!

All for now - will post again -wi-fi permitting.

Kindest regards to all

Master Echo

So energetic, Master Echo. You must be an early riser. Meanwhile, I think I'll just move into the observation lounge with its stupendous views and quiet. Rain storm just moved in; I've been watching it come.

Coffee in this lounge is excellent, not to mention -- cookies!

Edited by OctoberKat

Master Echo and OctoberKat, you are so lucky doing the fabulous Amazon itinerary with a 60% full ship,we look forward to following your journey which will bring back many happy memories of our Amazon adventure on the Cloud in 2013.Hope the weather is kind and you enjoy this wonderful and unique part of the world.

With only 216 passengers, the MDR was quite empty, and the service was good. The "Voices of Silversea" who historically are "operatic" singers, but had little or no dancing skills, which is not conducive to performing Abba or Motown, is not the case with this six. Not only are their voices excellent, but their dancing and slickness in routines were brilliant. Thank you Embtsam & Colonel Wes & Terry for your kind comments. Master Echo

WOW!! With just 216 passengers on a ship with a capacity of 382, that is only 56.5% of capacity. And you have got a crew of 302!! Really great, personal service is guaranteed. And, these numbers/radio makes things so much easier for the staff than if you were carrying 350+ passengers. Our Silver Cloud Amazon River cruise earlier this year had 179 passengers or 60.4% of capacity. You're super going to enjoy that situation.

Appreciate all of these varied details and background from both Master Echo and OctoberKat. Keep it coming!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,260 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Afternoon tea yesterday was a proper tea indeed: loose tea in pots, a triple-tiered server with tea sandwiches, pastries, cake and cookies, plus scones with clotted cream (!!!), butter and raspberry jam. Lovely presentation, sweet and attentive service in an uncrowded setting in the Panorama Lounge. Making time for this treat again today, which is a sea day, so: Tea at Sea!

Captain's cocktail party last night where we met many ship officers including Luigi, our captain. Also bumped into more cruisecritic folk but it was too noisy to hear their names, a pleasant interaction not withstanding.

Dinner last night in La Champagne and it was wonderful. Six courses, three wines, gracious service and we met the chef.

Hoping to rustle up a scrabble game today.

Octoberkat, enjoying this thread. Just wondering if you would kindly post your thoughts on Silversea vs Regent, either on this or a separate thread. We have not sailed Silversea but are considering it. Silversea doesn't seem to have updated their ships and the decor looks a bit more like a retirement home (no offence just my personal view). We have sailed Regent (bit more elegant decor but not quite 100%right), which we enjoyed and also Seaboarn which had superior service (but more of a stark decor...the upper level suites are substandard (in decor and freshness) in my opinion). So when you get a moment, would love to hear your thoughts in comparing the Silver Whisper to Regent.

Many thanks and enjoy your cruise.

Any new updates and reports from the Amazon River? Assume you have just done Devils Island, French Guiana, and are now having a couple sea days as you approach Santsarem in Brazil along the Amazon River. Hope all is well and that you are loving the super "personal service" with a high staff to passenger ratio.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,734 views for these postings.

We are well up into the silty brown Amazon but still east of Santarem, our next port. The air is heavy with smoke and the burning smell brings to mind the unpleasant notion of burning the rain forest to clear land. The sun is a huge orange ball sinking quickly.

Jim's chess results (I know you're dying to know): lost two, won one, drew one.

Edited by OctoberKat

Yikes, Sunprince, you just want to get me into hot water or, should I say given we are anchored in the Amazon, muddy water. Nevertheless, based on our seven days thus far aboard Silver Whisper here's my take on the differences and similarities to be found with our January voyage aboard Regent Navigator.

Whisper is very like Navigator in terms of layout and location of features. One big difference is the Observation Lounge on Whisper, my favorite place -- window encircled, spacious, comfortable, quiet and splendid views from the 10th deck. Self-serve coffee and cookies all day long with breakfast pastries in the morning. Heaven forfend we should endure a single minute without food offerings! Whisper's library is decent whilst Navigator gets first place; Whisper, however, takes the lead with its computer center comprised of distinct cubbies and seven workstations plus two computers in the library.

Whisper furniture in public spaces is decent enough but not particularly elegant with the exception of the Restaurant which is a handsome space indeed. All is comfortable on Whisper and it's easy enough to shift even the barrel chairs should one wish. La Terrazza looks much like the similar venue on Navigator. Furniture in our grand suite is decidedly frumpy but comfortable. I'd rather have comfortable frumpy than glitz. Our veranda is spacious, delightful to sit or lounge out there now that we're on the Amazon with something more to look at than endless sea (which itself is a treat). Whisper gets veranda furniture right. It's clear however, new furniture is needed shipwide.

Otherwise the ship is in good condition, better condition than Navigator.

Food -- Whisper has the edge here, even room service is quite good. We've dined in all the venues; my favorite is the Restaurant whilst Jim prefers the pool grill / hot rocks. La Terrazza is just so-so for lunch and dinner but great for breakfast. Desserts are outstanding in taste as well as variety and quantity. My sweet tooth is a very happy camper. Tea, as noted earlier is scrumptious and with all the bits and pieces done just so. We're eating breakfast around 9am, usually skipping lunch in favor of tea at 4pm by which time we are famished. Dinner around 9pm. With the exception of the doughnuts and pistachio ice cream, I am mostly modest in my food consumption, so far.

Wine -- included wines are not to my taste; Regent may do better in this regard. I've been ordering from the premium wine list, the selections are decently priced. I can recommend the rum punch on Whisper, mmmm.

Silversea service shines impeccably. Unstinting, gracious, kindly, genuine, never is a wrong note struck. In contrast with Navigator where service was courteous but in a pro forma way. Except for the waiters at the pool deck who were somewhat surly. It is a pleasure to be coddled on Whisper.

It may be due to the large proportion of Brits on board that Jim and I feel this cruise to be more congenial than our Navigator experience.

Can't report on the entertainment which we have been succesful in avoiding; other than the pianist at tea who is wonderful but plays mostly show tunes and movie scores. I'm gearing up to ask for a bit of Satie, Faure, Chopin, etc.

I likely would choose Silversea Whisper over most Regent cruises, all else being equal. The ambience on Whisper is more comfortably upscale yet friendly. In March, we cruise aboard Seabourn Odyssey from LA to Fort Lauderdale. That will be our third voyage and first on Seabourn.

Thanks Octoberkat for taking the time out of your vacation to post your thoughts. This is so helpful for those of us experimenting on the various luxury cruise lines. i can relate to your description of Regent service being "pro forma" It sounds like the service on Whisper is closer to our experience on Seabourn, which was warm, intuitive and personal. I do hope that Silversea updates its ships with a refurb soon. We might just give it a try.

Apologies to all for taking this thread off track. I don't want to get Octoberkat into any "trouble". I look forward to your Seabourn comparison.

Now back to the Amazon updates. I"m afraid to say that the smoky air and silty waters don't sound that attractive to me. Hopefully the local sights and sounds are better!