Silver Wind vs Spirit and Shadow/Whisper

Tothesunset

OK, so this is actually an almost impossible question to answer but how does the Wind compare to her bigger sisters in terms of condition.

I ask because we have our eye on a Wind TA from Barcelona to Bridgetown continuing with a 7 day Caribbean cruise at the end of 2017. Reading the various reviews on CC I'm quite concerned that the ship is not in the best of health - there are adverse comments on the plumbing, air con, condition of furnishings etc. However, there are also reviews that are extremely positive.

I'd be grateful for any comments from CCers who have recent experience of the Wind - I understand the size of ship issues and so forth - about the condition of the ship and its facilities.

We will be back on the Cloud in a few weeks and the Wind a few month later. Our opinion is the Wind and the Cloud are in way better shape than the Whisper and Shadow. Not planning on any more voyages on the mid size ships till they get a through dry-dock.

That's reassuring. I know that when reviewers wish to make a point they will often exaggerate benefits or faults - it seems that the condition of the Wind might have irked a few who have overstated the problems?

Good Morning TotheSunset - We have spent nearly 50 days on the Wind this year with great enjoyment and sense of Comfort. The ship is a gently ageing Lady but in our opinion the Décor has been kept well and there are few signs of obvious Wear ( I am sure if one gets on hands and knees and undertakes a thorough Inspection faults can be found - that's not how we spend our time !!! )

The main plus point is of course the Staff - on each of our 5 Cruises they have been wonderful and the very 'Hands On' Officers ensured that any minor niggle was quickly and effectively handled.

We are deposited for over 40 days on The Wind & Cloud next Year and have already booked Wind for 2017 - do I need to say more ?

I am sure that you will have a wonderful time and not notice any major differences ( apart from the smaller Bathrooms ) to your Cruises on Whisper and Shadow ( which we also like very much ).

I hope this helps in your deliberations, but its only a personal view !!!

Good Morning TotheSunset - We have spent nearly 50 days on the Wind this year with great enjoyment and sense of Comfort. The ship is a gently ageing Lady but in our opinion the Décor has been kept well and there are few signs of obvious Wear ( I am sure if one gets on hands and knees and undertakes a thorough Inspection faults can be found - that's not how we spend our time !!! )

The main plus point is of course the Staff - on each of our 5 Cruises they have been wonderful and the very 'Hands On' Officers ensured that any minor niggle was quickly and effectively handled.

We are deposited for over 40 days on The Wind & Cloud next Year and have already booked Wind for 2017 - do I need to say more ?

I am sure that you will have a wonderful time and not notice any major differences ( apart from the smaller Bathrooms ) to your Cruises on Whisper and Shadow ( which we also like very much ).

I hope this helps in your deliberations, but its only a personal view !!!

Very helpful indeed. Like yourself we tend not to go lookiing for things to complain about but recognise that there are some who are only happy when they can have a good moan! All review sites suffer from attracting a few contributors whose insecurities are expressed by belittling the object of their reviews.

The fact that you have so many days reserved for the Wind indicates that it is not the floating rust-bucket that some of the reviews suggest.

After the Spirit and Whiper/Shadow we thought a journey on one of the small ships (the exped ships don't interest us) would be interesting. We need to make up our minds soon as we intend to book on board the Spirit next month and experience such as yours is extremely helpful.

We prefer the Wind over the Spirit. Probably goes to having started with Silversea on the Wind a few years ago. We were on the Spirit this past June and there certainly wasn't anything wrong with the ship or the cruise but we just like the overall experience on the Wind better. A lot of it is what we thought was the more relaxed interaction with the senior staff and crew on the Wind. You give up a restaurant or two and maybe some of the other interior/exterior spaces aren't as large on the Wind but we can live with that and will be back on the Wind this coming March.

TTS....I have two voyages booked on the Wind for 2017...one of which will be a back to back Caribbean following the TA that you are considering. Would be lovely to see you and Mrs Sunset again...

Are you sure you are ready for a further 7 days of the TTSs? We would go just for the first 7 day trip after the TA because we a. Have visited all the ports of call on the subsequent 7 day voyage and b. are far too poor.

But shoudn't you be playing with your new kitchen rather than planning your future globetrotting?:) Be great to see you again.

Just returned from a trip on the Shadow.In very poor condition and learnt that planned refit has been delayed to 2017 or 2018.it is not just the soft furnishings it's the suite bathrooms ,bath with jets unusable and grubby,and the Terrazza restaurant .IN addition the tenders seem to be struggling.ON this trip they kept breaking down leading to long delays and the inevitable frustrations.

The best part of the ships are the shops(funny that) and the theatre seems to be in OK knick.The officers seemed embarrassed at the ships condition and and feedback from passengers was sent back to HO.

I Suspect that the scarcity of capital is due to the new ship but She is now a Shadow of her former self

Are you sure you are ready for a further 7 days of the TTSs? We would go just for the first 7 day trip after the TA because we a. Have visited all the ports of call on the subsequent 7 day voyage and b. are far too poor.

But shoudn't you be playing with your new kitchen rather than planning your future globetrotting?:) Be great to see you again.

T...l won't be on the crossing, l board in Bridgetown for two weeks...I'm doing the similar TA on the Spirit next November [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T...l won't be on the crossing, l board in Bridgetown for two weeks...I'm doing the similar TA on the Spirit next November [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like we'll see you in Bridgetown and only spoil the first 7 days of your cruise.

We have sailed on the Spirit, Shadow and Whisper but also toured the Cloud. The issues with the Spirit are widely publicized -- we would not on her again. We love everything about the Whisper and Shadow. We would not sail on the Cloud or Wind as they are too small and old for us. Just my opinion.

Note: In the interest of honesty, we are loyal Regent cruisers but have three cruisers on Silversea. We really enjoy Silversea but started cruising with Regent first and now have many loyalty benefits. If it were not for that, we would still sail on Silversea (only on the two ships mentioned).