They lost me at "website"

Winchester Ranger

Our last cruise was in the Haven on NCL Getaway which was amazing, but we wondered about going up a notch further (couple of notches ?) and trying Silversea this year. I took one look at their website and was soon realized that I was unable to view specific room options or prices - just a "fill out the information and we'll contact you" type of deal.

That was it, I'm afraid they lost us right there - in addition to which the website is very poorly designed in general compared to other cruise lines.

Hopefully Silver Sea employees review these comments because I think this is an area they could improve in.

Oh well - the cruise search goes on.

........that's not actually true. The prices by suite type are on the website.

If you click onto the cruise itinerary you are interested in. Once on the map and itinerary overview page, look to the right were it says 'Request a Call' highlighted in red. Above it is a star which says 'See suite, fares and offers. Click on this and it will give fares by category. If you are interested in say a verandah suite, click on the discover more '+' and it will give you a breakdown of all the various verandah prices. Hope this helps!!

I agree with the OP that the website is difficult to navigate, but the information needed is available if you just play around with it. Actually, the information on the types of suites including their location, floor plan and amenities is quite good.

I suggest if you are considering the Silver Shadow to Alaska that you look at a Terrace suite. They are great if you don't spend a lot of time on your veranda, but want to be able to pop outside to look at the scenery.

Good luck in your search.

The website is indeed suboptimal, but the Shadow's cruise to Alaska is fantastic, a real class act, and the excursions were low stress and organized. Easy on and off at ports, service, peace, calm. Got us hooked on luxury cruising after we cruised there in 2011, very different from the mass cruise line

experience. Regent also goes there and has a better website and is overall more casual, if that is important.

You can call SS directly if you do not want to use a TA ( though the latter is recommended) or mess with the internet callback requests, and they will work with you on securing what suits you, but hurry, summer is almost here! ( No, I do not work for SS).

Definitely get at least a veranda if you can afford it.

Our last cruise was in the Haven on NCL Getaway which was amazing, but we wondered about going up a notch further (couple of notches ?) and trying Silversea this year. I took one look at their website and was soon realized that I was unable to view specific room options or prices - just a "fill out the information and we'll contact you" type of deal.

What "specific room options or prices" were you looking for that you weren't able to find?

I second Duct Tape's suggestion that you work with a travel agent as you consider the luxury category. You're right that Silversea is several notches above NCL, but it's a different experience in many ways, beyond great service and luxury. An agent will discuss your previous travel experiences.. what you want (and don't want).. and help you sift out the differences and make the choice that best meets your personal needs.

If you don't have an agent, you can find one on Silversea's website. These agents have strong corporate ties with Silversea and other lines and can do a great deal for you. When you move into the luxury category of cruising, a good travel agent is a valuable professional contact. Same as having a good doctor, lawyer, or real estate agent.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by Seafairer

What "specific room options or prices" were you looking for that you weren't able to find?

We were looking at a 7 day cruise on Spirit from Lisbon - the only price I could get to was "fares from $3,850 per guest". I wanted the entire room list with a price for each one - as with any other cruise line.

Maybe I'm being picky here, but that website is losing them sales in my opinion.

We were looking at a 7 day cruise on Spirit from Lisbon - the only price I could get to was "fares from $3,850 per guest". I wanted the entire room list with a price for each one - as with any other cruise line.

Maybe I'm being picky here, but that website is losing them sales in my opinion.

........did you actually read my previous reply to you about how to check availability and prices online for the various cabins/suites?? It's all there online. The 'entire room list with a price for each one' IS ONLINE. It's not that difficult to find the info you need on the Silversea website!!

I think the OP has a point. Prior to the website redesign it was very easy to navigate. The new version does have almost all the info but for a first time user it is not designed to be easily navigated or understood.

There has been a lot of feedback to SS, particularly onboard, but all they have done so far is remove some useful bits.

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/5509/?ga=list#suites

There you go. And if you click on that, you'll see how it is done.

Yes, it says "From" but if you click on the Discover More button next to the suite level you want, it will give you more details as to which categories are available and at what price.

I've looked at their website before (and some other luxury cruise lines as well). To me, it almost feels like an equivalent of a menu in a super-fancy restaurant where they don't put prices next to the food :)

I've looked at their website before (and some other luxury cruise lines as well). To me, it almost feels like an equivalent of a menu in a super-fancy restaurant where they don't put prices next to the food :)

.. with the slight difference that on the Silversea website they do put all the prices next to all the categories of any of the food which is currently available.

I really don't understand this thread at all. The only thing you can't find out which I've occasionally been curious to know is the exact list of suites in a given category on a given deck which are currently available, and since there's only a handful of any type of suite on any deck anyway it probably doesn't matter.

The new website lumps all the Veranda suites together so you cannot determine availability for mid ship location vs regular or see the price difference. You were able to see each category with prices broken out along with Available vs Waitlist on the old site. If mid ship is important to you, you should be able to see price and availability without having to call your TA or Silversea.

The new website lumps all the Veranda suites together so you cannot determine availability for mid ship location vs regular or see the price difference. You were able to see each category with prices broken out along with Available vs Waitlist on the old site. If mid ship is important to you, you should be able to see price and availability without having to call your TA or Silversea.

you can see the prices for each category of Veranda suite. Follow what Canadian Kate has said, click on the Discover More section and then the description of a veranda suite comes up. Scroll right down the page and you will get the prices of ALL categories of veranda suite available.

You will not get details of which individual cabin numbers are free , you will need to contact agent or Silversea for that

I dislike the new website but the pricing information is there, I have to admit.

Rp

The only cruise from Lisbon on the Spirit departs is 5509 on 25 April 2015. No other departure from Lisbon appears on UK website for the Spirit and it goes out to Oct 2016. A bit late now I think. Or it could be the one in Sep. 2015 on the Cloud 1525.

I thought is was a bit late too, but then again, they could have been looking for a last minute deal.

In any case, the instructions will help others so that's why I posted (although, come to think of it, the link will die very soon.)

I agree that finding the room prices is easy enough, but I can't seem to find the same for the many excursions. Am I missing something? Thanks.

If you looking too far out; some or all excursions will not be shown. Just re-visit that cruise around 120 days prior to sailing and all the excursions will be listed without pricing. If you want to know the price for each excursion, you will need to be booked and viewing excursions through "My Silversea" site.

One trick I have found is to look at some other earlier voyage that is visiting the port I'm interested. Then peruse the excursion list to see what's normally available for that port.

Edited by carefreecruise