Live - Whisper Ft Lauderdale to New York & Southampton

Silver Spectre

And so most of the World Cruisers depart and we pick up 120 or so for the 2 day sail up to New York, where we will get the B segment 160 remainder.

Jimmy K is back on-board, so looking forward to something very different from Fernando's trivia.

Gilbert has gone home and Antonio is in control.

Thank you Silver Spectre for your play by play of the final segment of the WC and for continuing with this next sailing. Am hoping to do 2016 WC and your posts gave me an idea of what to expect. :)

Thanks for your kind thoughts Wes.

We are ducking and diving our way up the US Atlantic coast today with a fairly heavy swell and quite a breeze, but mostly clear skies and temps in the low 70s.

We had an inauspicious start to the voyage last night when the hot rocks oven failed and we had a plated meal on the deck, not quite what was expected, and then today the system couldn't print any UK newspapers, and to add insult to injury the Press Reader App has stopped working with Android devices and the IT officer's response is use an iPad! Not exactly helpful.

Anyway, new team for Trivia with Jimmy, same result though.

Life is good. Betting on Charlotte.

Weird scheduling, we only get two formal nights and the Captains Welcome isn't until the first sea day out of New York. This is what comes of splitting into a and b cruises.

We also have a full blown photo shoot team on-board, accompanied by two young models (male & female) who are totally not representative of SS guests, doing shots for updating the brochures and website etc.

Early morning ride into New York and Pier 90 this morning, and blessed with a lovely, warm day. Temps in the mid 70's.

Approx 150 joining today, loads of Harvard allumini, 20 odd got off, so we will be running with about 300-310 on the crossing.

Norman finally got to leave his home and boy does he look bushed. Fabien is here to replace him, all we need now is for Der Tim-Meister to offload and we will have a happy ship. Thankfully Begonia embarked in Ft Lauderdale and the GRM and reception desk team are now firmly set on a friendly and responsive mode.

Jimmy's trivia is still excellent and he has lost none of his sense of humour with daily noon announcements coming from the carpenters lockker and the butchers shop so far.

We leave at 10pm tonight and head north for cooler climes.

Wow.

hope you brought your blue and white and can sing boola boola.

Go Eli, go Yale.

none of that crimson stuff.

enjoy the cruise.

I couldn't imagine being cooped up on a crossing with all that crimson, much less the blue and white. On the other hand, if it were orange and black, that would be great!

Thanks for the updates on both threads Silver Spectre. I was wondering if Norman would be getting off as he lives in NJ. Was the Philippine trio that sang outside before moving to the bar Michelle & Alvin. I always enjoyed them,and Michelle was very personable . If so,would you mind asking Michelle to sing

" More" for Bob ? It was our wedding song,and she'd sing it every night. Enjoy the rest of your voyage.

Weird scheduling, we only get two formal nights and the Captains Welcome isn't until the first sea day out of New York. This is what comes of splitting into a and b cruises.

We also have a full blown photo shoot team on-board, accompanied by two young models (male & female) who are totally not representative of SS guests, doing shots for updating the brochures and website etc.

Oh well! Hang in there & see you in sep.

Thanks for the updates on both threads Silver Spectre. I was wondering if Norman would be getting off as he lives in NJ. Was the Philippine trio that sang outside before moving to the bar Michelle & Alvin. I always enjoyed them,and Michelle was very personable . If so,would you mind asking Michelle to sing

" More" for Bob ? It was our wedding song,and she'd sing it every night. Enjoy the rest of your voyage.

Its a different duo now.

Captains welcome party and formal night last night, and we were warned we might not get into St John's. Well today at 11:30 we learned that we are missing St John's due to ice coming down the coast. We will overnight here in Halifax and head off for 5 days at sea on our way to Ireland tomorrow morning.

Such a shame, no Titanic moment.

Very strange that last nights entertainment was a violinist instead of a Voices show. In the past formal night has almost always been with a proper show.

It is noticeable that the Voices do much less than their predecessors. They get paid half the money and only do 2/3rds of the work.

Edited by Silver Spectre

It was refreshing to have an actual Headliner entertaining on board. That is something I miss and SS only offers on long voyages. Ian Cooper is extremely talented and his show was a mix of humor and amazing skill. The quartet did a smashing job backing him up.

The previous entertainment supplier, "Choozi" singers were worth every dime. This new outfit doesn't even compare talent wise, IMHO. We've been exposed to two different troupes and I call it "one and done". Not going to waste my time after seeing one performance. Sadly, last evening one of the singers came into the bar and sang a duet and 9 people (all individuals) all walked out.

Happened to be off the ship when the Captain made the announcement about overnighting but, have spoken to him and learned there is a storm front moving through and the seas are kicking up 35 foot waves. He prefers it be ahead of us and so do I.

Slightly bumpy night, even the Captain admitted to being woken by the motion at 4am.

Lots of smily faces around this morning after the UK election.

Its 4c outside and although the sun is shining its bitterly cold.

Venetian night tonight, downgraded from Informal to Casual, and as this is purely for female feet, its being a little sexist!

The weather today and for most of tomorrow is similar, 9' seas but then we hit the 30-40' seas and may have some fun.

Rockin and Rollin our way across the wild west Atlantic. Apparently it snowed at 4am this morning, but did not settle.

Still heading almost due east to miss as much of the weather as possible, but the seas are up to 18-20' and the wind is gusting up to 60kms, so tonight will be interesting.

Kariokki brought forward t 9:30 tonight, although I'm not sure there will be many takers.

Pretty rough overnight, barf bags out around the ship.

The Captain was up all night, along with anyone forward on all decks, and ran the ship at about 11 knots, which means we are now missing Foynes in Ireland and will not get to Cobh until mid afternoon.

Nice show from Ryan, Martin and Giovanni last night in trying conditions.