Santorini

imcpa

My wife & I will be on the Spirit in July and will visit Santorini. We have been once on a Regent cruise and were very disappointed in the excursion we did. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions on a semi-private driver-type service so that we can see a lot of it on our own time. We would also like to not start off early in the AM if possible.

Also, do the tenders always drop everyone off at the same place. As I recall, we had a terrible, slow bus ride up the hill side, then rode the cable car down because of the way the tender service worked.

Thanks for your help.

In Santorini, I would probably just take the cable car up (and down). If you want to go further than your legs will take you, it is easy to grab a taxi. You probably could negotiate a price for the driver to take you on an island tour if desired.

Cannot speak to Silversea at Santorini, but the general procedure is that ship shorex goes through the "port" where you had the bus ride up the hill. That's so that a group can get started together on time, rather than fighting the cable car and assembling at the top. If you are going independently, you'll be tendered to the bottom of the cable car where you are on your own up and down.

One thing we've done in the past is to rent a car in Thera and head to both the southeast corner (Perissa) and/or the north coast. Leaves you in control of your time. The Eurocar office is about 4 blocks from the cable car, IIRC.

You can easily hire a taxi to take you around if you want to get away from the touristy spots at Thera. Really enjoyed spending time at a nice restaurant/bar right on the beach in Perissa - they had loungers in the sand where you could lie back, have lunch and a beverage and enjoy the sea.

Normally you dock and tender. I suggest you do not take a private tour but take a taxi.

The success of your day in my view depends on one factor more than almost all of the others put together. Being first off the boat and up the cable car before as many people as you can. There may be other ships decanting passengers as well.

If you care for animals I suggest you ignore the donkey trains.

In Santorini I'd head for the top of the town and get a taxi to Oia where many of the photographs that people associate with the island and think are taken in Fira are actually taken. If you can be one of the first off the ship and up the cable car and into Oia it's nice and magical to walk around when it is quiet and before the coaches arrive.

Some of my piccies from Oia.

P1030077_zps5d60f681.jpg

P1030075_zps8e5500ee.jpg

P1030069_zps697d36ac.jpg

P1030052_zps0360f65d.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
We rented a car on Santorini and had a blast driving all over the island, from the red beach > black beach > vineyards > Oia etc.

Glad you and others reported on your positive experience. Our shore excursion was somewhat disappointing and the only redeeming element was Oia. Next time we'll be on our own.