Spotting Seasoned Cruisers

SonofTertius

Went on our first cruise last year and took towel clips with us. Never actually used them, though. Doesn't take a seasoned cruiser, just someone who's willing to Google "cruise tips." That's how my wife found them. Heck, I did so much research leading up to it that I knew tips and things about cruising the couple we went with didn't know...and they're frequent cruisers. In regards to lanyards, I saw a lot of gold cards on lanyards, just as many as blue & red. Plus plenty of platinum & diamond, too. It didn't look like it singled out either one, new or long-time cruiser.

My partner and I are currently on Cunard's Queen Victoria sailing around Greece and as novices (second cruise only) we like to play a game onboard called 'Spotting Seasoned Cruisers'. I won the game today with this:

12cfd77d873ba8a9572ffe3b42c289f5.jpg

Might not be seasoned cruiser but a newbie who read one of the packing lists and followed it. We have taken more than 20 cruises and never brought towel clips. Didn't need them since if we were off the towel it was only for a few minutes in the pool.

Might not be seasoned cruiser but a newbie who read one of the packing lists and followed it. We have taken more than 20 cruises and never brought towel clips. Didn't need them since if we were off the towel it was only for a few minutes in the pool.

It's OK. After spending 5 days on the QV so far, I've come to realise that the pax with the towel clips are the ones who also don't stand in line for anything.

It's OK. After spending 5 days on the QV so far, I've come to realise that the pax with the towel clips are the ones who also don't stand in line for anything.
Boy, you've spent a lot of time tracking people with towel clips as they go about their cruise throughout the rest of the ship. People choose to stand in line because whatever that line is for, they've decided it's worth it to them. The act of standing in line doesn't make someone a new or seasoned cruiser. Do seasoned cruisers not stand in lines to get into the comedy club or a show? It's the same as packing light. I read over & over that packing light is the sign of an experienced cruiser. Did anyone stop to think that maybe people pack the way they want? Sure, that fist time could be a bit of trial & error, but after that, it's easy for someone to figure out what they want/don't want to take next time.

To the ones who think lanyards are a sign of novice cruisers, we bought them for our first one and I got the idea from all of the long-time cruisers on the old Carnival forums who use them. Is it really that important to you to differentiate the two groups?

Instead of working so hard to set themselves apart from everyone, I wish experienced cruisers would concentrate more on sharing what they've learned to help newer cruisers enjoy themselves that much more. Thankfully, a lot of the long-time cruisers on this forum do help new ones, but there's an awful lot who seem to have forgotten they were new once too.

Boy, you've spent a lot of time tracking people with towel clips as they go about their cruise throughout the rest of the ship. People choose to stand in line because whatever that line is for, they've decided it's worth it to them. The act of standing in line doesn't make someone a new or seasoned cruiser. Do seasoned cruisers not stand in lines to get into the comedy club or a show? It's the same as packing light. I read over & over that packing light is the sign of an experienced cruiser. Did anyone stop to think that maybe people pack the way they want? Sure, that fist time could be a bit of trial & error, but after that, it's easy for someone to figure out what they want/don't want to take next time.

To the ones who think lanyards are a sign of novice cruisers, we bought them for our first one and I got the idea from all of the long-time cruisers on the old Carnival forums who use them. Is it really that important to you to differentiate the two groups?

Instead of working so hard to set themselves apart from everyone, I wish experienced cruisers would concentrate more on sharing what they've learned to help newer cruisers enjoy themselves that much more. Thankfully, a lot of the long-time cruisers on this forum do help new ones, but there's an awful lot who seem to have forgotten they were new once too.

I took the entire thread as somewhat tongue in cheek - at least as far as my response was concerned. (And BTW Bob who posted his agreement to my post is a very seasoned cruiser).

For the record, I am a 26 year cruising veteran who has never used a lanyard, occasionally uses towel clips, stands in line when necessary for whatever I want for which the line has formed, usually pack more clothes than I need but don't see the glory in packing too light, and try to be helpful and sharing of my cruise experience as appropriately as the given thread would require. But I also try to have a little fun from time to time and try not to take any CC discussion too seriously - or too lightly, as the case may warrant.

So if there is anything anyone would like to know, if I can be of help I will try. Fire away.....:)

Isn't it weird that nobody uses a lanyard to carry around their credit card on land? It seems that either lanyards are overrated on a ship, or everyone is missing out on all that convenience the other 51 weeks of the year.

Very astute observation. My thought is that the nautical origin of the term "lanyard" is what makes the idea so attractive to cruisers. If the thing were otherwise (but equally appropriately) named, say "doofus cord", I suspect their use on cruise ships, or as major topic of discussion on these boards, would be much less.

Jeezus. You need to lighten up. Seems that all the cruising doesn't help. Have you tried colour therapy?

Edited by SonofTertius

Very astute observation. My thought is that the nautical origin of the term "lanyard" is what makes the idea so attractive to cruisers. If the thing were otherwise (but equally appropriately) named, say "doofus cord", I suspect their use on cruise ships, or as major topic of discussion on these boards, would be much less.

[emoji1376]

"Seasoned cruisers".....are those the ones who are cross-eyed from looking down their noses at lanyard wearers?

I try to avoid them at all costs (cross-eyed snoots, not lanyard wearers - it's not my business how someone chooses to carry their card).

I know one way to tell that someone is completely new at it. It's getting to the security line to get back on the ship and not yet having bothered to get out (or even locate) their cruise card.

Picture a family of 5, Mom and Dad searching every pocket in their pants, their jackets and their backpacks trying to find those pesky, elusive cards. And once found, they now have to do the same thing for each of their 3 kids.

These people are either 1) very, very new at this, 2) can't read or didn't listen to the instructions, 3) don't care about the people in line behind them or 4) kind of worn out and frazzled after a long day in port with 3 little kids. I kind of think it's mostly the latter because I certainly would be. And I certainly can easily misplace my card. In fact, I lose a lot of stuff.

Anyway, how to tell a seasoned cruiser: someone who has been there and done that. And now has a plan. Like me. Cruise card is safely around my neck on the much maligned lanyard. In port, it's tucked inside my shirt, in the cabin it goes in dedicated drawer. I have not lost it once since doing it this way. Easy peasy.

Isn't it weird that nobody uses a lanyard to carry around their credit card on land? It seems that either lanyards are overrated on a ship, or everyone is missing out on all that convenience the other 51 weeks of the year.

Well, I'm not walking around in my bathing suit and coverup on land, constantly getting drinks throughout the day where I would need to hand over a card. On land, I carry a purse and need more than just my credit card because I am out of the house all day long instead of on a ship for a few hours before returning to my room. All you need on a ship is a card. Some people wear outfits without pockets or just like the convenience of the easy access to their card. Hundreds of people on cruise ships use them, so it's not like it's an uncommon choice and shouldn't be that difficult for people to understand why.

Anyway, I use a lanyard because of the convenience. I love not carrying a purse around the ship. I also use towel clips, though I'm not a chair hog. It's nice not to have your towel slide down the chair. I use the chair and don't leave it unattended for hours.

I think it might be easier to spot a new cruiser than a seasoned one. I've been in line several times getting off of the ship at a port and heard people talking about whether or not they need a photo Id to get back on the ship.