Best way from Red Hook to Marriott Residence Inn New York Downtown/World Trade Center

bellemere

What is the best way to this hotel after disembarking the Queen Mary 2?

Thanks.

Dear bellemere,

Yes there will be a considerable amount of local city taxi cabs at the terminal on the morning of her arrival.

Also you can research a car service that can be arranged to meet you in front of the terminal. I know the Tour Office on board also offers Car Service - Limo Service, but it can be expensive. Unfortunately I am not a fan of the Uber Car Service experience.

The Marriott is somewhat a short ride thru the Brooklyn Battery Terminal or the Brooklyn Bridge and past the World Trade Center Complex in Lower Manhattan.

I don't know or think that Cunard would offer a Bus Transfer to that Hotel.

Edited by BklynBoy8

Don't take a Cunard shuttle. Because customs & immigration can be unpredictable, I'd advise against pre-ordering a car. Usually there are taxis available. Last week, that was not the case and we went to a fall-back solution, a car service.

If there's a long queue at the taxi stand, I'd call one of the two competing car services, Dial7 (+1 212 777-7777) and Carmel (+1 212 666-6666). Both will deliver superior service at a price competitive with taxis and Uber. You may have to wait for 20 minutes or so, but still less than an endless line.

For what it's worth, we use Dial7 for all our airport transfers to/from Manhattan and drop-offs at Red Hook.

Don't take a Cunard shuttle. Because customs & immigration can be unpredictable, I'd advise against pre-ordering a car. Usually there are taxis available. Last week, that was not the case and we went to a fall-back solution, a car service.

If there's a long queue at the taxi stand, I'd call one of the two competing car services, Dial7 (+1 212 777-7777) and Carmel (+1 212 666-6666). Both will deliver superior service at a price competitive with taxis and Uber. You may have to wait for 20 minutes or so, but still less than an endless line.

For what it's worth, we use Dial7 for all our airport transfers to/from Manhattan and drop-offs at Red Hook.

I like Dial7. We've always had a clean car and a good driver from them. We use a local service (from NJ) to Red Hook, but use Dial 7 to go home. Whenever we've used our local service for pickup, they show up at the time the ship docks--no matter how many times we tell them when we expect to be off the ship-- and by the time we disembark, there are waiting charges.

Thank you for the possible car services. I had read there is often long waits for a taxi. How do you know which D7 car is the one that is sent for you?

Bellemere,

You should see a placard in the Car Window with your name on it or the car will be parked and the Driver will have it in his hand to attract your attention.

Also you can call Dial 7 and find out which car is yours and get the drivers cellphone number to talk to the driver directly.

Many times when we are searching for our car, we will ask the company to have the driver call us directly or they give us their phone number. Sometimes the car has to move and go around the terminal area, but Brooklyn terminal has an area for them to wait.

If you have a smartphone, the Dial7 app has a map that shows you where your car is, similar to the way Uber does.

Even without the app, the text message confirmation will have a link to your browser to show it. However, last week, my signal (iPhone 6 on Verizon) was so weak at Red Hook that the real-time map didn't work for me.

- Mark

Is it best to arrangement for the Dial7 car before we leave the States or can we just call them the morning of disembarking?

Sent them email yesterday but no reply as of yet.

Thanks.

You can do either. I have set it up through their website from the ship the day before arrival (using ship's internet). Once I got a smartphone, I started using the app on my phone once we're docked and I have a good sense of how the timing will work out. I give myself extra time in figuring out when I want the car. If we get through Customs quickly, I'll call and tell them I'm ready early. Usually the driver is able to pick us up ahead of the original schedule.

Taxi.

Usually plenty available.

Ten minutes was a longest wait.

Price about $20 USD.

Be sure you are on the meter.

Sometimes the drivers claim the meter is not working.

Ask for another cab.

Ditto for Dial 7,

If you order a car you can actually track it on the app and see it's movement which is a plus for technology.

Old days the dispatcher would tell you that they are getting close, getting closer and still be a distance since they don't want to lose the fare.

The type of vehicle depends on the number of passengers and number of bags. Then they can quote a price.

When we disembarked in San Francisco, we elected to use a taxi but there was really no order a the taxis stand. People we just getting a cab and not waiting in line. Is the taxi waiting area, organized and orderly?

Thanks for all the help with the car services we could use.

The taxi stand in front of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is organized.

A certain amount of cabs are send to the front of the terminal by Security.

There are plenty of cabs that are in a holding area inside the Bowne St Gate and not brought forward until needed.

So there should be no problem with your arrival at Brooklyn....

The taxi stand in front of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is organized....

So there should be no problem with your arrival at Brooklyn....

Unless there is. Either our early debarkation was too early, or (as guessed by many locals) the unexpected showers that morning kept most cabs in Manhattan or answering calls to dispatch - rather than heading to Red Hook to wait for fares.

On our morning, the queue stretched down the entire loading area and cabs appeared one at a time every couple of minutes or so.

So - while there usually are taxis, as with any travel plans, having a backup option is useful. (Dial7 provided great service for us, although we were initially planning on cabbing it)

But to agree with your answer to the concern - the process is organized and not like the OP experienced in SF.

- Mark

Unless there is. Either our early debarkation was too early, or (as guessed by many locals) the unexpected showers that morning kept most cabs in Manhattan or answering calls to dispatch - rather than heading to Red Hook to wait for fares.

On our morning, the queue stretched down the entire loading area and cabs appeared one at a time every couple of minutes or so.

So - while there usually are taxis, as with any travel plans, having a backup option is useful. (Dial7 provided great service for us, although we were initially planning on cabbing it)

But to agree with your answer to the concern - the process is organized and not like the OP experienced in SF. - Mark

Hi Mark,

I believe your first answer was right being too early. Beside that morning before the QM2 arrived, NY experienced a very heavy thunderstorm early that morning that affected the roads. I know the day turned out to be a beautiful blue skies. I remember remarking what a change. I was actually in the area and was at the terminal that morning.

Yes, I saw a bit later the numerous taxis lined up and the TLC dispatcher sending them in several at a time. This is usual to avoid a pile up in front of the terminal with personal cars, car service and limo's from jamming up the area.

I actually think TLC (Taxi Limo Commission) does a better job at Brooklyn than at the Airports.

• 1 month later...

I'll throw this out there. If you can navigate yourself and your luggage about 75 yards, I'd suggest taking the NYC Ferry. It docks right next to the Brooklyn Terminal and crosses to Pier 11 at Wall Street on Manhattan. It runs about every 30-45 minutes and takes 20 minutes, or so, for the trip. You could walk or grab a taxi once on Manhattan. I couldn't believe how convenient the ferry was to the QM2.

Here's a thread discussing it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678&highlight=Brooklyn

Phil

Don't know how the taxi will go after picking us up to go the hotel near Battery Park. But can we ask for the driver to take the route across the Brooklyn Bridge? Would like to see it since we have done a lot of reading about the bridge. Good or bad idea?????