A silly food question

jetwet1

We are considering a Southampton - New York crossing next year, my wife asked a couple of food related questions, I spent a few hours searching high and low for answers and came up with nothing.

I am English, she is American, during our many years together she has developed a taste for a couple of the British traditional foods, the biggest being a traditional roast lunch, the other being the British (meaning the correct) version of Scampi, rather than the American version (the wrong version).

Are either of these foods served ? ....And yes I do feel that a traditional Sunday Roast lunch is it's own food group ;p

I have seen traditional British roast Sunday lunch available regularly in the Kings Court, even on embarkation day. Not seen it offered in the main dining room however.

(I even saw one guy in Southampton a few years back, at embarkation day lunch, eat a full roast, disappear for a few minutes, and come back with burger and fries, and clear that plate as well :eek: )

There are many photos taken on several QM2 crossings, both interior and exterior, via the link below.

Book a transatlantic crossing on QM2 and have the most amazing time :) .

I have seen traditional British roast Sunday lunch available regularly in the Kings Court, even on embarkation day. Not seen it offered in the main dining room however.

(I even saw one guy in Southampton a few years back, at embarkation day lunch, eat a full roast, disappear for a few minutes, and come back with burger and fries, and clear that plate as well :eek: )

There are many photos taken on several QM2 crossings, both interior and exterior, via the link below.

Book a transatlantic crossing on QM2 and have the most amazing time :) .

That's quite a story, Pepperrn!

Generally recognised as 'Pub' food in the UK surely.
On a UK pub menu is about the only place I ever see it offered as a possible choice. Can't remember seeing it elsewhere... (except frozen in supermarkets).

the British (meaning the correct) version of Scampi, rather than the American version (the wrong version).

Thanks to you, yesterday I learned that scampi in Britain is not the same as scampi in America. I must say, "scampi and chips" as a dish makes much more sense now, although it does look like something that would be advertised on a children's menu.

I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw the amount of food he tucked away!

Happy sailings to you tv24.

Makes me think of the "big" guy in Monty Python's the meaning of life. "Better bring the bucket"!

Someone please tell me what British scampi is? In the States, it's shrimps sautéed in butter and garlic. In a UK pub, what would I get?

It's large shrimps but coated in breadcrumbs and fried.

They do very good fish and chips in the golden lion on board all three ships as an alternative.

Someone please tell me what British scampi is? In the States, it's shrimps sautéed in butter and garlic. In a UK pub, what would I get?
Hi,real scampi is a Languastine which is like a crayfish.The tailmeat is called wholetail scampi.In a pub if it is not described as such,it is probably reconstituted prawns and fish,so be aware.The best scampi is probably reserved for high class restaurants all over,cheers,Brian.

Hi,real scampi is a Languastine which is like a crayfish.The tailmeat is called wholetail scampi.In a pub if it is not described as such,it is probably reconstituted prawns and fish,so be aware.The best scampi is probably reserved for high class restaurants all over,cheers,Brian.

That's it.

And it will be deep fried in breadcrumbs or a light batter.

As others have said above, "Scampi" should be the whole tail of a Languastine (aka "Dublin Bay Prawn" or "Norway Lobster") fried in breadcrumbs or batter.

Hardly any of the Scampi available in the UK is the real thing, most often it is "padded out" with lots of other things (see the link in Solent Richard's post above) to make it cheap enough for supermarkets to sell.

It's large shrimps but coated in breadcrumbs and fried.

They do very good fish and chips in the golden lion on board all three ships as an alternative.

Good morning Lanky Lad.

There's another anomaly between us Brits and our amazing 'American Cousins'.

Their shrimps are really our Prawns.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/shrimp

Hi,this thread is not doing the UK pub grub industry any favours.As I said if it says wholetail scampi on the menu,which quite a few pubs do,it has to be, otherwise they are breaking trading standards laws.Here in Italy we buy frozen bags of whole scampi for about 16 euro a kilo and break out the meat ourselves,but its hard work on the fingers with the sharp edged shells,cheers,Brian.

That's it.

And it will be deep fried in breadcrumbs or a light batter.

Approx 2/3 years ago we did aT/A plus the east coast of American, one port of call (cannot remember the name) only a small town, and we found a pub which even had a dart board, and served food, we waited quite a while for a table, I ordered Scampi and Chips, the scampi cooked in batter, so much better than the breaded version, and I could not believe how many scampi they gave me, my wife had to help me clear the plate. In pubs in England they always appear to be done with breadcrumbs unfortunately.:mad:

This thread reminds me the first time I was in London as a kid my parents asked me late one night if I wanted a biscuit. I vividly remember staring at them and asking why on earth would I want a biscuit at night without any jam or with any other meal?

When my mom handed me a cookie, I was floored.

Good morning Lanky Lad.

There's another anomaly between us Brits and our amazing 'American Cousins'.

Their shrimps are really our Prawns.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/shrimp

It's more complicated than that: Your prawns are either called prawns or "jumbo shrimp" in the US, except in the Carolinas, where a "jumbo shrimp" is so large, a single shrimp is served as an entree, and they're also so large, they're very difficult to cook.

This thread reminds me the first time I was in London as a kid my parents asked me late one night if I wanted a biscuit. I vividly remember staring at them and asking why on earth would I want a biscuit at night without any jam or with any other meal?

When my mom handed me a cookie, I was floored.

I've heard that every child who is born in Britain and moves to the US after starting school has the experience of asking their teacher for a "rubber" and being laughed at by the rest of the class.

Yes it is, that's actually how I introduced the wife to it, we were on a family trip to Ireland in 2012, we were staying near Donegal , IRE (Lough Eske to be exact) and we stopped for lunch at a pub, the rest of the family being American ordered a burger, me being the sole Brit knew this was a mistake (I love British/Irish food, but they have no idea how to make a good burger...Sorry) so I ordered the scampi, this raised some eyebrows in the group as they figured it would be the American version.

As the food was delivered they of course were surprised not to see the American version, this soon turned into my father in law asking for a sample....Which in turn turned into 8 orders of scampi being placed.....

In pubs, only females eat scampi. That's why a mate of mine refers to it as "Ladies Scampi" !

Really ? Hmmm, I had no idea.

Yes, when I first moved here I had to adapt some of my phrases, thankfully I managed to figure out the "bad" translations pretty quickly.