Best day for Balinese bed overnight

Hey everyone! I've been a bit of a lurker on your boards, but I'm taking my first SeaDream cruise in a few weeks (this one, R/T St. Thomas - http://www.seadream.com/voyages/21704). I really want to overnight in one of the Balinese beds, but I have a couple of questions.

Is it better to reserve a bed on an overnight in port or when the ship is sailing?

Are there bathrooms nearby? I always have that problem when camping... :rolleyes:

Where do you go to reserve one, and can you do it in advance or just once onboard?

And if anyone is sailing with me, please let me know so I can say hi! Thanks!

Erica, which week is that sailing? We are on the March 4th sailing out of St. Thomas.

In regards to the Bali Beds, I am no expert but have tried it once. There is one large Bali Bed towards the bow of the ship where you have the entire front area "roped" off from other passengers starting around 11 pm (I think). There is a small bathroom on that deck between the bed area and the TOYB on the port side.

The other Bali Beds (5 or 6 on each side) that are between the TOYB and the walk around area behind the funnels). The night I slept up there I went up around 12:30 am (since there was a large rowdy group making a lot of noise at the TOYB - but the bartender shut them down at 12:15 and sent them to the Piano Bar). I was in the 2nd bed on the starboard side, no one else on my side. Another couple had reserved the first bed on the port side but I have no idea if they were ever up there.

Couple of things. The outside lights on the upper rail area do NOT turn off so there is always some sort of light, not pitch black. I brought an extra pillow with me, wore the PJ's they give you as a gift and the bathrobe. We were at anchor (had already moved to our location for the next day during dinner) so no wind and no rain. The stars were fantastic and I slept fine until about 4:30 am the deck crew started pressure washing the floor area in the outdoor dining 1 deck below. It was rather noisy so I gave up and went back to my cabin.

It was sort of a "had to do it once" type of thing. I don't think my wife would have enjoyed it (she stayed in the comfy bed in the cabin). Might try the bow Bali Bed if it was available but not a "have to" anymore.

You sign up for the Beds shortly after Check-In or immediately after the Captain's Welcome Party on the first night before dinner with the Concierge. The front bed goes quick so be prepared.

That was probably more detail than you wanted but thought I would share. I am sure other more experienced Club Members have better info.

Cheers

Mark

It doesn't matter when you do it really, moving or at anchor. I sleep in a balinese bed at least once per voyage. I've stayed in the front bed mostly but have also done the side. I agree that the front bed is quieter, darker and most private.

The beds are quite hard, not all tht comfy but I just love being in the fresh air under the starts.

I stay all night long unless it's raining. Some of my best photos come from sunrises I watch from the front bed. Enjoy!

You should book immediately upon boarding for the front bed.

I agree. You do it once and you will never want to do it again. Zimmy is a fan and has tried to get me to do it again, but I just tell her the cord for my CPAP machine won't reach.

The have something they call the egg crate which makes it more comfortable. Ask for it when you make your reservation.

Front bed was great with eggcrate. Bring eye shades, it was not completely dark, some railing lights were on and even the crew member who came to check couldn't figure out how to turn them off. Also when docked the maritime light is on up front. We stuck it out all night and watched the sun rise. Hubby went and fetched coffee from TOY and they would have brought breakfast but we went back to the cabin before that could happen.

• 3 weeks later...
We made it through the night and loved it! Only downside was, as someone posted earlier, the lights that don't turn off and deck work starting at 5:30 a.m. The eye masks helped with the former. Weather was perfect. I'd do it again!

And.....