Purchased Regent hotel stay

Eager2Travel

There is an interesting night tour in a Tuk-tuk that we are thinking of doing. As it will be quite hot when we are there's being on the river sounded like a more pleasant choice in the heat of the day.

I don't remember Central department store but recently came across a bag in our travel stuff from Robeson which is where we shopped on our last visit to Bangkok.

On our last visit to Bangkok we stayed at a Regent hotel which was very close to a large air conditioned mall. It does not appear to still be there.

Yes - we have shopped at Robeson (which we always think of as the old Robinson's:)). There was a place around the corner from there that we had breakfast at a few times (really small restaurant that made great eggs).

Agree about being on the river during the day - the heat in Thailand really affected me. I found myself taking two showers a day to cool off. I also purchased several touristy t-shirts that I so that I could change after each trip outside (since I would perspire so much from the humidity). We haven't been back to Thailand for around 10 years. Looking back to that time I do wonder how I could have fallen in love with a place that is so darn hot but I did.

An evening foodie tour sounds like fun. I think I will try and find it onTrip Advisor. The problem with the evening yuk yuk tour I found is that it starts at the main railroad station and that sounds like more adventure then we are up to. I would want something that picks us up and delivers us back to the hotel.

We also hope to go to the Patong night market.

An evening foodie tour sounds like fun. I think I will try and find it onTrip Advisor. The problem with the evening yuk yuk tour I found is that it starts at the main railroad station and that sounds like more adventure then we are up to. I would want something that picks us up and delivers us back to the hotel.

A slight warning..... when I read "Patong night market", I had not heard of it so I Googled it and came up with "Pat-pong Night Market". Not sure you would be comfortable there as it is in the red light district with very obvious signs of what is inside of the "clubs". On the other hand, there is a lot of souvenirs that can be purchased there. Just want to let you know what you may be in store for.

It seems that all of the night Tuk Tuk tours begin from the same place (even Viator - a company that I highly recommend begins there). When I have time in the next day or so, I'll look into it further. Tours may begin there because of the traffic being so difficult. Stay tuned!

I hope the 'yuk yuk tour' was a typo :eek:

The Skytrain in Bangkok is clean, safe and easy to use

Yes, as TC2 has researched, Patpong night market is bordered by some sleazy clubs, but the market is excellent, safe and a vibrant atmosphere

Have a wonderful cruise and a good time in Bangkok

Thanks UUNet Bill for the additional post. I appreciate the support with our decision. I would redo your post but am clueless about how to do that. The convenience factor definitely prompted our decision.

I've done the same thing. My first time to Europe and it was shockingly expensive...but, worth every penny! Had a person meet us at baggage claim, a private car (Mercedes) take us to hotel with same car taking us to ship next day. Not worrying is worth it!

I hope the 'yuk yuk tour' was a typo :eek:

The Skytrain in Bangkok is clean, safe and easy to use

Yes, as TC2 has researched, Patpong night market is bordered by some sleazy clubs, but the market is excellent, safe and a vibrant atmosphere

Have a wonderful cruise and a good time in Bangkok

I laughed about the "yuk yuk tour" but understand that the "t" is next to the "y" on the keyboard.

We have been to Patpong a couple of times - just wanted to make sure that Ann would not find some of the posters outside of the clubs offensive. Better to be forewarned IMO.

Agree that the Skytrain is clean and everywhere we went was safe. We didn't utilize the Skytrain much - probably because there wasn't a station near our hotel. We pretty much use tuk tuks 100% of the time.

One slight warning about tuk tuk drivers...... a couple of times we wanted to go to a restaurant and they took us to a different restaurant. It is possible that they get paid for doing that. The very last tuk tuk ride that we did we wanted to go to a specific Irish Pub so I told the driver (very nicely) that if he did not take us there, we wouldn't pay him. He asked if we could go to a tailor shop and spend 10 minutes there. If we did, he would be able to get free gasoline. So, we did what he asked and he did what we asked (and we loved the Irish Pub!)

Thai people are so incredibly nice. They may try to take you to a tailor or jewelry shop but it is always done with a smile and good naturedly. Even when they are in traffic and can't move in any direction - they are honking and honking but when the other driver looks at him - they both smile. Wish that would happen everywhere!

Here is a link that you should find helpful. It has information on the MRT, Sky Train and Chao Phraya boats (schedules, prices, etc.) http://www.transitbangkok.com/mrt.html

BTW, looking at a map I saw that the name of the department store is "Robinson" (which is why I kept thinking of the department store that used to be in the Valley.:)

TC thanks for the additional transit link. I did also appreciate your information about the area surrounding the night market. Some people would be bothered by it but we just go with the flow as long as it is safe.

I would love a large street map of Bangkok to get a better idea of the layout of the city and the various areas . It is frustrating on the IPad or laptop as it doesn't give a clear overall view.

The bag I found did say Robeson. I went back to check it. I wonder what city that was from?