Would you go on an adults only cruise?

Travelcat2

Maybe a better solution than a few child free cruises is to have all child free cruises except for a few where they allow children. Then every selfish parent who puts his own needs first can book those cruises and they can all drive each other crazy.

:D Love the idea but I'm not sure if any luxury cruise line is willing to go that route (unless the child(ren) cruises were maybe in mid-June - July and maybe December 14 - January 5th - but not on all holiday cruises).

Maybe a better solution than a few child free cruises is to have all child free cruises except for a few where they allow children. Then every selfish parent who puts his own needs first can book those cruises and they can all drive each other crazy.

Maybe they could 'codeshare' with Disney on those cruises with kids. :D

Maybe they could 'codeshare' with Disney on those cruises with kids. :D

Love your suggestion.

We have rarely seen kids on our Regent cruises. Now we always travel during the off season for kids so that definitely limits the chance of it happening. We did have a family staying in a suite right beside us and we didn't hear a peep from the kids. We ran into the Mom a couple of times and each time she apologized if the kids were noisy and hoped they weren't disturbing us. Not a chance they were quieter than some adults we had beside us.

Love your suggestion.

We have rarely seen kids on our Regent cruises. Now we always travel during the off season for kids so that definitely limits the chance of it happening. We did have a family staying in a suite right beside us and we didn't hear a peep from the kids. We ran into the Mom a couple of times and each time she apologized if the kids were noisy and hoped they weren't disturbing us. Not a chance they were quieter than some adults we had beside us.

I've been pretty vocal about kids on Regent cruises, and to be fair, the majority of kids I've seen on board have been pretty well behaved. As is typical, it's the minority that cause the problems, and it's usually the parents to blame. Running through the hallways, banging on doors, playing tag in Compass Rose, sleeping across entire rows of seats on crowded buses, terrorizing the pool area - these are all behaviors we've encountered as the parents ignored their demon spawn - usually drinking or talking and just ignoring the chaos the brats were causing. And God forbid you say anything to the kids or the parents!

The one time we took our daughters with us they were 18 and almost 17 and we put them in a cabin between us and their grandparents so we'd be in the loop if there was any extraneous noise. We told the cabin stewards to let us know if there were any problems. We told our neighbors during the block party to be sure and let us know if they had any problems. Guess what? No issues with the girls at all. Older kids, parental supervision - not a bad combination.

As I've said before, I'm fine with kids on board if - IF - they're well-behaved and not a nuisance to the other passengers. Unfortunately, too many parents refuse to control their crew and it causes problems with others. That's unacceptable.

Love your suggestion.

If all parents were like these there would be no problem. Unfortunately, they are not.

A previous poster mentioned that P&O have three ships that are "Exclusively for Adults" (their terminology). I imagine there are great differences between a cruise on any P&O ship and a cruise with RSSC - I've cruised with P&O a number of times but never (yet) with Regent - but this post is about the experience, pro and con, of cruising without children.

On a 12-night cruise on Arcadia, we found that the demographic on this adults-only cruise was significantly older than on a similar P&O ship with children. I imagine that this was because the younger passengers - parents with children - were simply missing from this ship. Possibly as a result of this older demographic the ship was very quiet at night (and that's coming from someone who's definitely not a party animal).

Another, personal, observation. Obviously there were no children, ill-behaved or otherwise, on that cruise, but (perhaps to my surprise) I found that I missed them. I recall another P&O cruise on a different ship where the children were on a scavenger hunt - I remember watching these little groups of children moving around the ship, very intent on the next objects they had to find; stopping occasionally for urgent conferences about their destination or their targets; I remember them trying so hard not to run, but sometimes failing; and I remember their smiles and joy when they found an objective. On reflection, I think that children add something to a cruise.

tom_uk - thank you for a very interesting post.

There are many people that enjoy other people's children which is great thing. It is also wonderful that there are many, many choices of cruise lines to go on that have families and children (Regent has families and children during school breaks and during the summer).

Yes - Regent probably has an older demographic than on cruises with young children but we also see young adults that simply want a romantic, quiet vacation away from their own children.

Some Regent cruises are indeed quiet at night while others have a very lively nightlife - it really depends upon the cruise. Port intensive cruises tire people while long cruises and those with sea days tend to have a livelier vibe.

From my perspective (and I do like children and would never have subjected them to a luxury cruise as we knew, as responsible parents, that this would not be the best place for them to be). My wish is just to have a few cruises available where adults can go - enjoy themselves - whether it being dancing or sitting and reading -- child-free.

• 2 weeks later...
That would be a great incentive for me too.

Instead of calling it "Adults Only" they could take a cue from the smoking issue and call it a "Child Free" environment.

Maybe "children would be bored" would do it. After two cruises I consider Regent to be an obviously adults only cruise line but we don't cruise in the summer: why waste the best season Canada has to offer?