Regent Explorer Review Feb 4

suzeshoes

In the Compass Rose one evening, I asked for one entree and because the server didn't understand what I said, he brought something totally different...he was brand new and there was a language issue. This happens. On occasion. But on Explorer, this happened over and over again. Frustrating.

Every time we dined there last month the servers put our orders into the computer tablet they carried and then read off everything to make sure we were in agreement before they left our table. We are just curious in what way you placed your orders?

I think I would rather like that sandwitch - thank you for sharing. I agree - Tea forte would be a very excellent seiection and they look cute, too!

I don't recall ever having the pleasure of tasting tea from the US company Tea Forté

I am sure that it tastes very good, but looking at Tea Forté's website it does appear that the company has found a way of selling tea at an enormous premium through imaginative marketing and attractive packing ;)

I used to make tea using loose-leaf tea but now usually use tea bags as the quality of tea used in tea bags has improved together with the range of blends available

As Gilly and others have said, the main issue with tea on-board is the temperature of the water used, and sometimes the inherent water taste e.g. from treatment & chlorination

The Regent (and Cunard) chosen tea supplier, Twinings, is one of the few tea companies to hold a Royal Warrant in the UK; if it his good enough for HMQ then it is fine for me :cool:

I guess we all have different experiences. We were on the Explorer last November and had a wonderful time. Not only is the ship beautiful and the food awesome but the service was way over the top. We did experienced (along with other passengers) the whistling sound in the cabin at night. We notified the front desk and they applied tape to the doors. Yes, I thought it was crummy for a luxury new ship to have to have tape applied. However, it was obviously a mistake by the builders and I'm sure it will be addressed as soon as possible. In the morning we removed the tape and if we had the same problem again, the steward had the tape applied again. Not a big deal compared with the luxury and service we experienced. The weather was not conducive to use of the pool so I don't know about service there. I'm not a connoisseur of tea and drink mine from a bag. Twinings is a good tea as far as I'm concerned but then again I don't know that much about tea. Our friends just got back from LA to Miami Explorer cruise and were raving about the cruise. I'm sorry the OP didn't find everything to satisfaction. Again, people look for different things or consider luxury in different ways. We love the Regent experience (two more weeks till our next cruise) but understand not everyone feels the same.

I think there is a big difference from those who were on Explorer last November, December and those of us on in January, February. Big changeover of staff. We found a handful that we liked and stuck with them. But the service was far from perfect. Didn't let that get in the way of having a good cruise. Actually, had my hands full with other issues not cruise related

Hmmm. I'd hate to have my beautiful balcony taped closed. We did not experience this in November, but many others did. It's now almost March. Does anyone know if the issue has yet been fully addressed?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A poster on one of these threads commented today (could have been yesterday) that the builder/manufacturer will be fixing the seals on the doors in Miami. Since the Explorer leaves Miami March 26th, it should be prior to that date. It seems that the builder is chasing the Explorer from place to place in order to fix what should have been done correctly in the first place.

purpleally, as you know, the crew changes constantly and there are always newbies on board (that many times need more training than they are getting). The crew that boarded in Los Angeles are now likely well trained and we'll get a new batch - likely in Miami. The one positive (at least for us) is that John Barron is returning to the Explorer on March 17th and the F&B Director, Daniela will return March 26th! We do what you do -- find some servers that we've either known previously or have just met and like and stay in their sections. While we could get good/great service anywhere, we appreciate when the servers learn our preferences. It is easier for us as well as for them.

P.S. Are you 100% healed from what you went through while onboard the Explorer?

It is amazing how many responses there have been to this thread! My sole purpose in reporting on my experience is to inform people who are new to the Regent line so that they know what they are paying for.

First of all, to someone who said I must have special requested a bottle of champagne on ice....we asked for a bottle of champagne several times in our cabin. As with other all-inclusive cruise ships, we assumed that a bottle of the house champagne (Moutaudon) in our cabin was a normal request, and thankfully, this was never questioned or any eyebrows raised. Our steward just did it--as they have done it on Silversea and other all inclusive.

As a business owner who is extremely well-traveled and works with clients who demand a luxury experience when they travel, I have the bar set extremely high for a luxury cruise or any type of luxury travel for that matter. So, really, the expectation here is that regardless of the request, the answer is: "It will be my pleasure", or "Yes, of course, I will take care of that for you".

When someone simply says "No." or "We don't have teapots at this location" or "You can't have a large bottle of water, only a small one", "there aren't any towels up here, they are still folding them on the deck below" or our favorite:

When it was explained that the soot on our deck came from the smoke billowing out of the stacks on top-- "Well, we can't stop the engines"--These are unacceptable responses from the staff of a ship that bills itself as "the most luxurious ship in the world", and charges accordingly.

We have also never been on a ship when a crew member would repeatedly call our cabin in the middle of the night trying to get an outside line to their home--even when it was explained that they were calling a guest cabin, and we begged them to stop calling!!! (the phone was finally unplugged)

In the hospitality industry, service is key. And that service should be taught to and then provided by the ENTIRE crew, not just some of them. That was the main issue on this ship.It wasn't just one or two crew members who failed to deliver here.

If a client asks us for a seamless vacation experience on a cruise ship and this client has stayed at and experience the top service of a St. Regis, a One & Only Resort, a Four Seasons...or similar, we could not in good conscience recommend a ship with inconsistent, uninformed servers.

As an FYI: Our experience was shared with the management who AGREED that they have work to do with training their people, and also that there were some serious concerns about the ship itself and the noise it made, the movement, and so on. So it is not that this cruise line wasn't a good fit for us, and that we should stick with another cruise line who serves loose tea. Explorer simply needs to work out its issues and meet the expectations of a generation of cruisers whose children are grown or who have no children, who will be looking for the ultimate cruise vacation....and then do whatever they need to do to deliver.

And on a lighter note in reply to the question, "are we completely healed from our experience?"--of course, we are fine. There were many positives. There was just disappointment that our expectations for this trip were neither met nor exceeded.

And on a lighter note in reply to the question, "are we completely healed from our experience?"--of course, we are fine. There were many positives. There was just disappointment that our expectations for this trip were neither met nor exceeded.

Based on your stated requirements, which luxury cruise line has met your criteria?

<We have also never been on a ship when a crew member would repeatedly call our cabin in the middle of the night trying to get an outside line to their home--even when it was explained that they were calling a guest cabin, and we begged them to stop calling!!! (the phone was finally unplugged)>

For the record, neither have I! But I did lose a whole night's sleep in a Four Seasons hotel when water was coming through the bathroom ceiling and reception didn't know what to do about it. Surely anyone who travels extensively encounters those occasional situations that I regard as "life" ?

<We have also never been on a ship when a crew member would repeatedly call our cabin in the middle of the night trying to get an outside line to their home--even when it was explained that they were calling a guest cabin, and we begged them to stop calling!!! (the phone was finally unplugged)>

For the record, neither have I! But I did lose a whole night's sleep in a Four Seasons hotel when water was coming through the bathroom ceiling and reception didn't know what to do about it. Surely anyone who travels extensively encounters those occasional situations that I regard as "life" ?

You couldn't have said it better. The trick though is learning how to move on and not let these challenges spoil your trips.

This whole series of posts have been interesting as I am looking at booking a Regent cruise after a long break. The Explorer beckons!

Any ship, including the one that's proclaimed "the most luxurious in the world", will creak, rattle and groan even while on the calmest sea. It's what ships do and adds to the whole cruising experience. If you don't like the shippy sounds, maybe try a land based resort/hotel instead?

I meant to say that I believe any company who touts a product in such superlative terms is setting themselves up for reviews like the OP's. I think there have been discussions here previously about the variations in the general expectation of standards in luxury resorts and luxury cruises. RustyRollock, I agree, there are some aspects of a cruise ship that simply cannot be replicated on land ;)

purpleally, as you know, the crew changes constantly and there are always newbies on board (that many times need more training than they are getting). The crew that boarded in Los Angeles are now likely well trained and we'll get a new batch - likely in Miami. The one positive (at least for us) is that John Barron is returning to the Explorer on March 17th and the F&B Director, Daniela will return March 26th! We do what you do -- find some servers that we've either known previously or have just met and like and stay in their sections. While we could get good/great service anywhere, we appreciate when the servers learn our preferences. It is easier for us as well as for them.

P.S. Are you 100% healed from what you went through while onboard the Explorer?

I find it so much better when they get to know you and vice versa. We had "our" table at P7 and they all knew us when we saw each other at other parts of the ship

Thanks for asking. I went to my dr when I got home. More meds. I know it is still in my system and slowly I'm getting my fitness back. I really regret not being able to enjoy the Explorer which is the main reason we chose that cruise. I think a crossing would be great. And, the travel insurance paid every penny!

Slightly off topic but I can't help smiling at the original poster's description of the tea service (incidentally, it's Twinings, not Twinnings, love. I'm British and I find Twinings quite acceptable)

Thanks, ElizabethSwann, for pointing out that it's spelled Twinings ... with one, not two n's.

I find it interesting how tea can cause such a tempest on this board. The Twinings brand was totally acceptable to me. What I appreciated so much more, however, was the coffee served at the Cafe. The coffee drinks were divine. When I mentioned this to Daniela, she said that the temperature of the milk/cream (for the lattes) was essential. But I also think the quality of the beans had something to do with it. Anyway, it was the best coffee I've ever had on the open seas.

And coffee always wins, hands down, for me.