Restaurant Recommendations

bonefishbruce

My wife and I are looking forward to our first Regent experience in June. Most people seem pretty positive on the food these days but I was looking for some more specific suggestions. Has anybody got a favorite "must try" dish or conversely, a dish to avoid? Feel free to mention more than one dish or more than one restaurant. You might enjoy answering the question more than I enjoy reading it.

Hope you enjoy your first Regent cruise

Unless you are very, very picky you will love the dining in all venues

If you like fish then my 'not to be missed' recommendation is the Miso Glazed Sea Bass; this is normally served in Compass Rose on the same night as the Seven Seas Society reception. It is a delicious dish :)

Lots of favourites, Pat's would be the lobster tail and small filet mignon in Compass Rose, which is available anytime. My absolute favourite is the veal parmigiana in Sette Mari. Though I confess to have new favourites most everyday....And if you will be on the Explorer, definitely try Prime 7 and Chartreuse for lunch, wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you tell us which ship you will be on, we can make more recommendations since the Explorer has the most dining choices and the Navigator has the least.

Agree about the Miso Glazed Sea Bass. In terms of the Dover Sole, we prefer it in Prime 7 over the one served in Compass Rose.

Travelcat, I have to ask, assuming the dover sole in Prime 7 and compass rose is the same fish coming from the same place, how is it prepared that you like it better In Prime 7?

Yes - it is the same fish but it is being prepared in different kitchens. I know that Prime 7 has their own kitchen on the Voyager and Mariner (and I'm guessing that it is the same on the Explorer but I haven't toured the kitchens) My DH only had one sole dish prepared in CR that he didn't care for which was enough to make him to order it only in P7. IMO, I'd give it a try in both CR and P7 and see what you think.

Note: While we have not discussed sole with the F&B Director, we have discussed the differences in lamb chops and rack of lamb. Most of the time it is the best we have had anywhere outside of New Zealand but, even though they come out of the same package, some are better than others. I suppose it is like meat in a supermarket or butcher shop -- some pieces of fish or meat simply look better than others..

If you tell us which ship you will be on, we can make more recommendations since the Explorer has the most dining choices and the Navigator has the least.

Agree about the Miso Glazed Sea Bass. In terms of the Dover Sole, we prefer it in Prime 7 over the one served in Compass Rose.

Sorry, I forgot to mention we'll be on the Explorer. Chartreuse also has Dover Sole. Anybody try it there?

Jar - You may be well assured that you will not go hungry at any meal on a Regent ship. Assuming that your grandmother is not present at the meal to tell you that it is rude to order double servings, you may in fact order a double serving of any item that strikes your fancy, as well as order a main dish as an appetizer (or vice versa). The wonderful servers on Regent will not blink an eye or miss a beat if you do so. Indeed, the servers will often suggest that in the event that you are uncertain which of two dishes to try that you simply try both of them! Is that not a splendid resolution of the quandary?

Further, it is common (at least at my table ;) ) for diners to order at least two desserts each, in order to let the pastry chefs know that their efforts are most appreciated.

Not to hijack this thread, on the two formal nights are there any special dishes offered in CR and Setti Mari or is it better to make reservations in the specialty restaurants to avoid the 6:30 pm mob??

The two "formal optional" nights are not quite as "special" as they were previously as CR now offers lobster, Filet Mignon and many other wonderful items every day. However, they do offer an appetizer with caviar which is nice. In terms of Setti Mari, it changes menu's every couple of weeks and they do not recognize "special" nights. I would have no hesitation to book a specialty restaurant on these nights to avoid the "mob".

As mentioned by a previous poster, while the portions are nice, try ordering double portions (we have done that with lobster).

To address bonefishbruce's question since he will be on the Explorer, the Lobster Tempura in Pacific Rim is amazing (three dipping sauces -- to die for). Also, Prime 7 and Chartreuse are open for lunch (alternating days). The lunch time dessert presentation is something I have never seen anywhere (in Prime 7) and the chicken with mushroom sauce is wonderful (the sauce comes on the side). Also, the soups in Chartreuse are presented in a way that is not only delicious but a delight to see. (I'm purposely not giving details lest it takes away from you seeing it first hand:D Lest I forget the Sunday brunch offered only on the Explorer on Sundays that are sea days. It is the most decadent buffet we have ever encountered! Try not to eat breakfast as it could ruin your appetite!

We also enjoy rack of lamb in Chartreuse (presumably on the Voyager as well as the Explorer and soon to be on the Mariner......... the Navigator does not have Chartreuse.

P.S. bonefishbruce, it is possible that I'm confusing Chartreuse with Prime 7 in terms of the Dover sole. With the Explorer having three specialty restaurants, it is easy to get confused. I will be on the Explorer on March 26th. Feel free to ask questions while I'm onboard so I can get specific answers.

We've never had a bad meal in any restaurant on any Regent ship, but then again we aren't fussy foodies. I'm sure if there were any dishes to be avoided the powers that be would have been made well aware if it and the necessary steps taken. Just order what takes your fancy; go on, take a walk on the wild side!