The perils of a late booking

PaulaJK

C couldn't agree more. They are certainly not charging less because the included tours are not available.

Actually, they are, for both tours and dining reservations. Put it this way -- if they were to provide sufficient extra capacity (restaurants, excursions) to be able to accept unlimited last-minute bookings, there would be many slots that would go unused, i.e. capacity provided but not "sold." That extra capacity costs lots of money, and to cover those extra costs they would have to charge more for each slot actually used. So by doing it the way they do, the cost of providing the service is reduced and the prices that must be charged (in this case built into the overall fare) are reduced in comparison with what they otherwise would have to be.

This happens even where the service (such as an excursion) is provided by an outside vendor, since the same requirement is simply shifted down to that provider who then has the same economic problem (cost of unused capacity) to deal with.

There is no free lunch.

Actually, they are, for both tours and dining reservations. Put it this way -- if they were to provide sufficient extra capacity (restaurants, excursions) to be able to accept unlimited last-minute bookings, there would be many slots that would go unused, i.e. capacity provided but not "sold." That extra capacity costs lots of money, and to cover those extra costs they would have to charge more for each slot actually used. So by doing it the way they do, the cost of providing the service is reduced and the prices that must be charged (in this case built into the overall fare) are reduced in comparison with what they otherwise would have to be.

This happens even where the service (such as an excursion) is provided by an outside vendor, since the same requirement is simply shifted down to that provider who then has the same economic problem (cost of unused capacity) to deal with.

There is no free lunch.

Well said and very true!

They are already charging way more for what they call included. Either it's included or it's subject to availability. If the latter, ti should be advertised as such in the same size font.

I know that you are not a fan of included excursions and prefer to book once onboard the ship (if I am wrong about this, please correct me). What I've found on Silversea (and this has since changed), you could not book dining reservations until you were onboard. IMO, this gave the priority reservations to those passengers that were able to board as soon as the ship started embarkation while passengers arriving three or four hours later had what was left.

While you book Regent excursions months in advance, once onboard, you can speak to Destination Services and find out if alternative excursions are available. We cancel about 50% of excursions we book in advance (for many reasons - we do not book just for the heck of it).

Regent does say that it is based on availability. In terms of the type font, perhaps when car dealerships, cell phone companies, department stores, and just about every other company in the U.S. stops the "small print", Regent will do the same.:)

TC2,

You are not wrong. I hate the included excursions, and not because I prefer to book on board but because I prefer to arrange my own private excursions or just explore on my own. The idea of touring on a bus with forty other people is the antithesis of luxury to me. But I understand that others do not mind that and like ships' excursions. Those should be available no matter when you book even if Regent has to hire more buses. Drinks are included too. What do you think would happen if they told late bookers that they can't get their martinis because the early bookers reserved them all but if one cancels they can then get a drink?

Have to agree with wripro - at Regent prices you should be able to be accommodated on an included trip and get one reservation in each speciality restaurant regardless of when you book your cruise. We had to scrabble round once on board when we went on Mariner last summer because we booked fairly late. Not my idea of 'luxury' cruising.

Martinis do not cost the same as bus rentals:p

This is the second time in one day that you made me smile;)

wripro, even when I discuss issues with friends at Regent, I always differentiate what is offered onboard and what is offered off of the ship (by contractors).

When thinking about "off ship" items, I'm thinking of excursions*, hotels and flights. While these items are included in your fare for most guests (exception is hotels). These items are pretty much limited in terms of capacity. This doesn't mean that you can't take a different flight from what you want, have a different hotel or a different excursion. In the terms of the TS (Thread Starter), the odds of her getting the catamaran excursion with 75 people waitlisted is very small.

While it would be nice if Regent (or your TA) reminded you when booking late what the challenges may be in terms of flights, hotels and excursions, it is not being done. I definitely understand where the TS is coming from as our last "extension" cruise in November was booked less than 2 months out and most things were booked (we even stayed in a suite that we would not have typically wanted). In the end, things worked out and the cruise was great.

*Stuffing my hand in my mouth to stop myself for going off on the fact that you can't opt out of excursions while you can opt out of air or hotel.:eek:

Have to agree with wripro - at Regent prices you should be able to be accommodated on an included trip and get one reservation in each speciality restaurant regardless of when you book your cruise. We had to scrabble round once on board when we went on Mariner last summer because we booked fairly late. Not my idea of 'luxury' cruising.

Surprised at your experience.

We booked last minute on the Mariner last year. Had to get waitlisted for all tours BUT WOUND UP GETTING EVERYONE !

As far as the restaurants....I asked if there was any chance of going a 2nd time & was told no because they just have enough room to make sure EVERYONE has a chance to go.....so you will get your reservations once on board.

Like any land restaurants...you cannot always get your time preference as the people that booked first & reserved first get their choices.....at the end, you cannot be that fussy....are you insisting on a table for 2 ?...that could be a problem.

To get our last minute reservations we had to take a shared table at both restaurants. Had an absolute fabulous time talking with the other guests.

You will definitely get your reservations once onboard.

This is the second time in one day that you made me smile;)

wripro, even when I discuss issues with friends at Regent, I always differentiate what is offered onboard and what is offered off of the ship (by contractors).

When thinking about "off ship" items, I'm thinking of excursions*, hotels and flights. While these items are included in your fare for most guests (exception is hotels). These items are pretty much limited in terms of capacity. This doesn't mean that you can't take a different flight from what you want, have a different hotel or a different excursion. In the terms of the TS (Thread Starter), the odds of her getting the catamaran excursion with 75 people waitlisted is very small.

While it would be nice if Regent (or your TA) reminded you when booking late what the challenges may be in terms of flights, hotels and excursions, it is not being done. I definitely understand where the TS is coming from as our last "extension" cruise in November was booked less than 2 months out and most things were booked (we even stayed in a suite that we would not have typically wanted). In the end, things worked out and the cruise was great.

*Stuffing my hand in my mouth to stop myself for going off on the fact that you can't opt out of excursions while you can opt out of air or hotel.:eek:

You can find all the justifications you want but as a customer who provides the service is not my concern, be it Regent or a contractor. Regents advertising it, Regent is selling it, Regent is making money off it. Regent should provide it!!!!