First post and First Cruise with Kids, have a few questions.

ErickW

I really liked the Elation! The food on all the ships is pretty much the same. I think I would spring for the ocean view though, I just like the light and the kids can look out the window. My son is 19 and he'll be platinum on our next cruise and he had always loved camp carnival when he was young. Your kids will have a great time, the size of the ship doesn't matter. Bon Voyage!

Here's another question, is FTTF worth the $70 just to keep the kids moving and spending less time in line?

Not for me. But my kids were always pretty good at waiting and, to be honest, I was good at keeping them entertained during long waits. That $70 could go a long wait in treats fo the family during the cruise.

We booked the Elation out of Jacksonville pretty quickly after deciding to go on a cruise, mostly because it was the only place with decent airfare the first of January. Like you, I then really researched and realized it was an older, smaller ship. Our kids were 14 and just turned 19, so a lot older than yours but we saw a lot of kids and they all seemed to have a great time!

We did book rooms with windows because two of the four of us are a bit claustrophobic. The amount of time spent in the room is quite minimal but it was fun to wake up in morning and see where we were.

I think the Elation was a great choice for our first cruise, the ship was small enough to navigate, had plenty to do, was clean, staff was super, lots of food choices and overall it just felt good! It was a great ship for our family to try way out a cruise, I think your family will love it.

This was January of this year, our first cruise ever and we've already booked another one :)

I think we have decided to do the bubbles package for each one. We have a water park here in Indiana that we visit every summer, and they have unlimited soft drinks, the kids love it! Myself not so much being a fitness junkie, but hey it's only one week and they're only little once right?!?!

I think we have decided to do the bubbles package for each one. We have a water park here in Indiana that we visit every summer, and they have unlimited soft drinks, the kids love it! Myself not so much being a fitness junkie, but hey it's only one week and they're only little once right?!?!

A great idea! My daughter doesn't drink soft drinks at all. An occasional ginger ale if she isn't feeling well. But on the ship she likes ginger ale to soothe any potential sea sickness. She just loves having the bubbles package. I think just being able to go to a bar and get a drink is enthralling. She probably barely gets our money's worth, but it is worth it for how much she enjoys it!

I cannot give any information on the ship itself as we have not been on that ship, but my response is to your location and cost of travel. We live in Northern MN and usually fly out of Minneapolis ( about a 2.5 hour drive) We always say if we are going to cruise we are going for at least 6 + days (7) is ideal for us and our 6 year old Granddaughter, who we have temp custody of. Living far from a port I want to justify the price so we do not go for less than (6) days. I have a rule that airfare will not be more than the cruise! (MSP is a great airport, but still expensive for 6 weeks over the spring break time starting Mar and running through mid April. Especially going into FL! So when we cruised with one of my Daughter's and Granddaughter a couple years ago I flew us into Atlanta ( at the time I found great airfare around $100.00, one way) We found a clean modest hotel for the overnight in Atlanta for $60.00 (I think on Booking.com) I then booked another night in Orlando, again modest, yet clean and with pool for $52.00. Add a Car rental, gas and parking at the port in Ft Lauderdale for the week with meals came out to be $1400.00. If we would have flown into Ft Lauderdale it would have been 2250.00. to fly (4) of us in. Of course the ride back to Atlanta was a bit long, but certainly worth it. The 800-900 I saved helped pay for some fun activities at the ports. Kids will have a blast and I certainly agree with the ice cream comment made by one of the posters! In a few weeks we are going out of New Orleans due to high airfare into FL. Will see how this port works out for us. Enjoy your cruise!

I like your creativity!

We live in Chicago and are pretty loyal SWA flyers because of the flexibility. I will keep eyes open for airfares into the port cities before making a cruise determination. Last fall got absolutely great fares into Houston Hobby and booked. It was another month (and only 6 weeks before the cruise) before we could firm up vacation time and finally book Freedom. Had the trip not happened, we would have simply 'banked' the SWA money for another flight sometime in the next year.

Florida flights ARE expensive this Spring. We found Orlando most reasonable and found a Sunshine cruise we liked. All good.

We booked the Elation out of Jacksonville pretty quickly after deciding to go on a cruise, mostly because it was the only place with decent airfare the first of January. Like you, I then really researched and realized it was an older, smaller ship. Our kids were 14 and just turned 19, so a lot older than yours but we saw a lot of kids and they all seemed to have a great time!

We did book rooms with windows because two of the four of us are a bit claustrophobic. The amount of time spent in the room is quite minimal but it was fun to wake up in morning and see where we were.

I think the Elation was a great choice for our first cruise, the ship was small enough to navigate, had plenty to do, was clean, staff was super, lots of food choices and overall it just felt good! It was a great ship for our family to try way out a cruise, I think your family will love it.

This was January of this year, our first cruise ever and we've already booked another one :)

Good for you. Watch your port airfares for future deals and DO try a 7 or 8 day cruise. Really helps to amortize that air expense. FYI, it's usually better to find a Saturday boat because flying home from Florida on Saturday night is usually significantly cheaper. For Carnival right now that's Freedom (Galveston, TX), Glory (Miami) and Magic (Orlando). Of course there are many other factors to consider but something to keep in mind.

We sailed Elation in 2004 when our son was 11. He spent the majority of his time on the water slide or at the ping pong tables. He also participated in some of the Camp Carnival activities. Our daughters were older & not involved in the teen programs. Since they were 16 & 19, we booked 2 inside cabins next door to each other. Worked out great, since the kids liked to sleep in later than us. Also, 2 bathrooms that way. Your children are much younger, but maybe (if they have them) get 2 connecting cabins & leave the door open between them?

As adults we prefer Your Time Dining so we have the flexibility of eating when we want. However, with kids, I think the earlier poster was dead right to suggest Early Dining and the consistency of having the same waitstaff each night. They'll get to know your kids and will make it a truly special event for them.

My daughter (who just turned 40 :eek:) still remembers to this day the waiter on our first cruise when she was 14 - his name is Hamed! She was such a picky eater and as a teenager such a little PITA (LOL) that I wanted to put her ashore a few times! But Hamed had her laughing and talking (instead of just sulking) at every meal! He even had her trying foods I could NEVER get her to even consider!

The waitstaff will get to know your kids and will make such a fuss over them that it will become part of their special memories of this cruise!

We're sailing her on Fall Break. Thank you for this thread OP. Have a great trip!!! Please share your review when y'all return. We have an OV on the Upper deck.

Lady, PULEASE come with us, in Oct. I've got a snarly 16yr old. I'm gonna need back up with him.

Orange apple and guava punch are available on lido for breakfast. Switches to tea and lemonade for lunch and after. Those plus pineapple tomato etc can be found in MDR for breakfast with the same switch at dinner. You can also get juice thru room service anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate to be the bearer of bad news after so many positive replies here.... However, we cruised on the Elation with what was then 11-year old and 8-year old girls, who had each previously been on 3 other Carnival ships...

Unless they have upgraded the Elation recently, the Sensation has a much better "Waterworks" area that they were used to on previous sailings. On the Elation, which was missing the waterworks area, the girls were flat out bored the whole cruise. They have since stated many times it was their least favorite cruise.

It didn't help at the time that the Elation cruise was a 4-day that only had one port stop, and there were not a lot of other children on the sailing .

That being said, if it were me, I would spend the extra money to be on a ship that I knew the children would enjoy more.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news after so many positive replies here.... However, we cruised on the Elation with what was then 11-year old and 8-year old girls, who had each previously been on 3 other Carnival ships...

Unless they have upgraded the Elation recently, the Sensation has a much better "Waterworks" area that they were used to on previous sailings. On the Elation, which was missing the waterworks area, the girls were flat out bored the whole cruise. They have since stated many times it was their least favorite cruise.

It didn't help at the time that the Elation cruise was a 4-day that only had one port stop, and there were not a lot of other children on the sailing .

That being said, if it were me, I would spend the extra money to be on a ship that I knew the children would enjoy more.

Although my kids prefer a bigger ship with more bells and whistles, they were far from bored on the Elation. And on a first cruise, kids don't have anything to compare it to. If they're used to strict limits on things like ice cream and pizza and you let them go a little crazy on the cruise, that alone with make it the best vacation ever for this age group. My youngest has always called the ice cream machines the best part. The benefit of a smaller ship for parents is that it's easier and less tiring to navigate.

All Carnival cruises have kid friendly food, Seuss at Sea (including a noise parade and show), Camp Carnival, mini-golf, ping pong, a pool and kid-friendly (lukewarm) hot tubs, plus music and dance shows, family-friendly comedy, and dance parties. The Elation also has a basketball court, giant chess, and a smallish slide into the pool for those who are over 48 inches. One of my daughter's favorite things was learning line dances on the stage by the pool -- it was an Easter cruise and pretty much everyone on board was a family with kids, so all the little girls took over the stage. :D

We have had zero problems with cruising in an inside -- my kids actually like how cozy it feels.

Know that although there is a kids menu in the MDR, they are welcome to order off the adult menu, or mix n match. Adults have also been known to order the banana split off the kids menu...EM

And know that you have to ask for the kids menu. Last cruise we sat a table with 2 other children (7 and 9 if I remember) and they didn't know the kids menu existed until the last night. I still feel bad for not bringing it up the first night, but we were the last to the table and I figured parents were just encouraging (slightly) healthier eating habits. They enjoyed their dinners but were so excited to see the kids menu that last night

The sensation has waterworks and my child prefers that over the waterslide in the elation. Have you checked the ecstasy out of Charlestown? You could probably also drive there. It also has waterworks and it's at the back of the boat. Plenty of chairs where you can sit and relax and watch the kids play. I have been on elation and ecstasy and we liked the ecstasy more. I believe sensation and ecstasy are about the same but we have never been in the sensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do agree that a ship with waterworks would be preferred over one without. For your age kids, waterworks is awesome. And Fantasy class waterworks are awesome with lots of seating for parents, as the previous poster mentioned. For this reason, Ecstasy would be a better choice. But cruises out of Charleston are always more expensive than out of Jax and I am guessing that is why the OP picked Elation. That or the schedule worked better. Any cruise you choose is going to be a great vacation and your kids will love it.

Yep, scheduling was the biggest deal, as there is only one week we have available to go. I think they will enjoy it just fine, plus we have three stops, so there should be plenty to do. I'll be honest, any kid that complains about being bored on a vacation, let alone a cruise, probably needs a good kick in the rear anyways!