Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificates

gooch47

I'm sitting here sweating about something I should probably ignore.

My TA called about a week ago saying Princess contacted her to remind us that we needed visas and Yellow Fever vaccination certificates. Well, we have both.

I stupidly suggested that I send her a copy of our vaccination certificates to send to Princess to verify that they were in order. So she did.

Now they want to talk to her about them. She called to inquire if they received the copies, and they said something like, "Oh, they didn't contact you yet?" What the heck does that mean?

Our certificates are little yellow (ironic, yes?) folders with our information on them, the date we received the shops and the clinic name where we got them plus some kind of government stamp with the clinic's ID on it.

I assume I am fretting about nothing. Has anyone else been hassled about their "proof" of vaccination?

Linda,

I have the same yelow folder (at least it souns like mine) and I have not had any problem going to places that require the yellow fever vacination.

Us, too....and we have never had to show it to Princess in advance. Only required to show it when we check in.

We have the same little yellow Vaccination folder and have never had to send a copy of it to Princess ahead of our cruise. We just had to show it to personnel when we checked in at the ship. Your TA should have told you this. Now that a possible "issue" may exist, I'd have my TA call back and insist on finding out what it might be and get it straightened out. It is probably nothing, but you shouldn't be made to sit and worry over it.

Thanks, guys. I knew we didn't have to send them the copy, but I am obsessive about things like that and thought it might be a good idea.

Maybe they need to talk to our TA about upgrading us to the Owner's suite. :rolleyes:

I'm sitting here sweating about something I should probably ignore.

My TA called about a week ago saying Princess contacted her to remind us that we needed visas and Yellow Fever vaccination certificates. Well, we have both.

I stupidly suggested that I send her a copy of our vaccination certificates to send to Princess to verify that they were in order. So she did.

Now they want to talk to her about them. She called to inquire if they received the copies, and they said something like, "Oh, they didn't contact you yet?" What the heck does that mean?

Our certificates are little yellow (ironic, yes?) folders with our information on them, the date we received the shops and the clinic name where we got them plus some kind of government stamp with the clinic's ID on it.

I assume I am fretting about nothing. Has anyone else been hassled about their "proof" of vaccination?

How much time has passed since the yellow fever shot? Usually valid for 10 years.

Thanks, guys. I knew we didn't have to send them the copy, but I am obsessive about things like that and thought it might be a good idea.

Maybe they need to talk to our TA about upgrading us to the Owner's suite. :rolleyes:

I understand your desire to have everything in order, but I live by the creed of keeping my mouth shut and offering nothing unless I'm asked a legitimate question by legitimate authority. One thing always leads to another, it seems. If your shot record shows you've had a YF vaccination in the last 10 years, there's no need to fret unless, possibly, you're now in the last few months of that 10 year period.

We just got it early this year. January 9, I think.

Then you really should have no concern. Perhaps the stamps didn't come through on the fax copy and some minor Princess functionary is being overly zealous. Funny thing is that on our last cruise that included countries requiring YF vax, no one ever asked to see our shot record. But if we had lost it ...

We just got it early this year. January 9, I think.

Is the yellow fever shot required by Princess for the cruise that you will be taking? If not, you maybe be guided by this web page.http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever-vaccine-requirements-and-recommendations.aspx

There is a lot of info on the cdc.gov web site. Snoop around there.

Cheers, VegasPier

This reminds me of when we planned a 2 1/2 week land trip to Costa Rica in late 1997 and were "strongly advised" to take Quinine a month prior to our trip, for malaria. So we did. Pills that you could hardly choke down. Horrible, nasty stuff! We took our Quinine RX with us, as well as the remaining pills. Of course, it turned out that we didn't need them at all. This was in the very early stages of internet, so what did we know? Well, we found out that Costa Rica has had the most stable government and economy and highest literacy rate of any country in Central America. And no malaria. We also fretted (and choked down Quinine pills) for a month - needlessly! I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours!

Yes, the shots were required for this trip (Amazon River and Devil's Island).

Well, my TA got the call. All they wanted was to have her tell us we needed the ORIGINAL folder, and not the copy. Well, duh ...

Are we going to need shots? We're doing a FT PC Cruise (FLL-LA). We get to Costa Rica after Colombia, and according to the chart it looks like we do. Any advise from someone who has done this itinerary? We're planning on walking around Cartegena.

Bconley351: Nope, no need for YF shots in Panama, Columbia (well, at least not in Cartegena) and/or in Costa Rica. Enjoy the Panama Transit!

Linda: One small word on YF shots, you have to give them about 2 weeks from date of shot before entering a YF zone (for others info, as you are good to go, of course!). Not a big deal and they are good for 10 years, so it’s a good shot to have on the shot-card. And… heck, the shot is cheaper than the Brazil visa, and the visa is only good for 5 years!

Enjoy Brazil and Devils Island! It’s a good hike up to top of the island, but well worth the heat, bugs and calf-burn.

Yes, the shots were required for this trip (Amazon River and Devil's Island).

Well, my TA got the call. All they wanted was to have her tell us we needed the ORIGINAL folder, and not the copy. Well, duh ...

I'm glad you clarified that. I couldn't remember needing my vaccination docs on any of the cruises we took and it had me worried about our upcoming one.

We are going to West Africa with Princess and simply were notified, early on, about the need for Yellow Fever vaccinations. Your yellow book sounds exactly like mine. The only question is the date of your Yellow Fever shot as it is only good for 10 years.

We are doing a full transit of the Panama Canal in April. I was at my travel clinic today and the nurse was quite sure that we needed a yellow fever injection even though I have an email from Princess stating that for this cruise it is not mandatory, can anyone help? I am unsure what to do.

Jackie.

We are doing a full transit of the Panama Canal in April. I was at my travel clinic today and the nurse was quite sure that we needed a yellow fever injection even though I have an email from Princess stating that for this cruise it is not mandatory, can anyone help? I am unsure what to do.

Jackie.

No, you don't need one.

If Princess requires shot documentation it does no good to send it to them, they want to see it at boarding. when we left FL for a cruise on the Amazon to the Med we had to show it at a table set up before we could even check in. I would not send an original in to Princess HQ if they did not require it, with service what it is they probably would "misplace" it. Also, often the "left hand" does not know what the "right hand" is doing.

Are we going to need shots? We're doing a FT PC Cruise (FLL-LA). We get to Costa Rica after Colombia, and according to the chart it looks like we do. Any advise from someone who has done this itinerary? We're planning on walking around Cartegena.
Nope. You absolutely, positively do not need a Yellow Fever shot/certificate for Cartagena. I was there in January on the reverse of your itinerary.

I'll preface this by saying that according to these boards, a yellow fever vacination is not required or asked for if going to Costa Rica. But according to the CDC website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever-vaccine-requirements-and-recommendations/CostaRica.aspx

if you first stop in Columbia, then the yellow fever vacination is required.

My DW and I decided to get our vacinations even if it was not required on these boards, because it then gives us an excuse to go to Brazil sometime in the future (it's good for 10 years).

I'll preface this by saying that according to these boards, a yellow fever vacination is not required or asked for if going to Costa Rica. But according to the CDC website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever-vaccine-requirements-and-recommendations/CostaRica.aspx

if you first stop in Columbia, then the yellow fever vacination is required.

My DW and I decided to get our vacinations even if it was not required on these boards, because it then gives us an excuse to go to Brazil sometime in the future (it's good for 10 years).

Well....the Coral Princess full transit westboard itinerary goes to Columbia, then Panama, then Costa Rica. There was no requirement to have yellow fever shots or documentation of those shots.

Archived