Pickleball on the Cruise Ships

CPCruiser4Life

It is the fastest growing sport in America right now. It's especially popular among Seniors, but many younger people like myself have become addicted to the sport. It's a game similar to tennis on a badminton sized court.

See video below:

Since such a small space is required 30' x 60' you'd think cruiselines would start offering this activity as it is extremely popular in Senoir Communities (i.e. Villages, Fl)

It is the fastest growing sport in America right now. It's especially popular among Seniors, but many younger people like myself have become addicted to the sport. It's a game similar to tennis on a badminton sized court.

See video below:

Since such a small space is required 30' x 60' you'd think cruiselines would start offering this activity as it is extremely popular in Senoir Communities (i.e. Villages, Fl)

Thanks for the video, I honestly had never heard of this before. I kept thinking "PickleBall, what a mess that pickle must make being batted back and forth". :o:o:o

Edited by Toto2Kansas
  • Haha 1

Yes, Princess considers this to be "paddle tennis". On Grand-class ships that had the sports court forward where the Sanctuary now resides, there used to be a basketball/paddle tennis court. On my two voyages on the Sapphire Princess, my son and I played in paddle tennis tournaments. Whether the "new" sports courts that they've created in the aft section have this capability, I don't know...

My husband and I played "pickle ball" (AKA paddle tennis) on the Sapphire. All of the equipment was provided. There was just one court. I hope they manage to retain the court somewhere on the ship after the sanctuary is put in, but I kinda doubt it. Too bad -- it was a nice change of pace.

The Sea Princess last September had a lively group playing. We had to take turns going in to play. There were a lot of people from San Francisco that play there. I take a can of tennis balls as they are often left out in the rain.

This sounds fun. Is one able to book court time? Or is it first-come, first-served?

I will be on the Ruby Princess next week and noticed "Center Court" in the deck plans. Can one also play basketball on this court?

This sounds fun. Is one able to book court time? Or is it first-come, first-served?

I will be on the Ruby Princess next week and noticed "Center Court" in the deck plans. Can one also play basketball on this court?

Paddle tennis was "first come, first served" on the Sapphire.

It looks like ping pong played on a smaller size tennis court. Boring!!!! Right up there with bocce ball. Now dodge ball, that's a game the cruise lines should be playing.:D

I disagree with your "boring" quote, but I did play Dodge Ball on Liberty OTS in 2008 - crew vs guests. Only different rule was, if you threw the ball into the ocean you were out.

Next thing someone will be asking whether Princess has Bulletball available on cruises. In case you missed this game when the inventor showed it on TV, check this site. I am still laughing about how ridiculous it is (sorta like Ping-Pong without paddles or net). http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/48ce6a0204/bulletball It is however sorta sad the inventor dedicated 26 years of his life and entire fortune to the game.

Edited by dsmeryage

I recall playing pickleball when I was in junior high school (around 87/88) in NY. I do remember it being funny, but that was the first and last I had ever heard of it... I feel like there was something that made it distinct from paddle tennis? isn't the ball unusual or something? ( I am at work right now so can't access the video someone posted.

Dana

Hubby played it on the Emerald and he plays tennis and pickleball usually. It was a fair workout all things considered...only one court.

And yes, it IS the fastest growing sport in North America.

Glad to see more good-natured competitive sports play on cruise ships. The best I've seen of this is on Royal Caribbean ships, especially the newer ones (Voyager Class and up). Norwegian, even though I'm not a huge fan of the line overall, also does a good job with sports. Princess has not been as good with competitions as I remember them being the first couple times I sailed them.

Just for clarification purposes...Pickleball is DIFFERENT than Paddle Tennis. There is no kitchen in paddle tennis. The rackets are different as is the ball. Pickleball uses a whiffle ball with random holes.

Glad to see there is some interest of this sport on cruise ships.

While doing a google search, I came across this...

Love to cruise and play pickleball? Here's your chance to do both. Audrey Phillips, with support from Chris Thomas, is promoting the First Annual Pickleball Cruise to Bermuda on Holland America cruise lines. The dates are May 15 - 22, 2011.

http://web.me.com/veryaud2/Site/11_PickleCruise.html

• 5 years later...
Has anyone see Pickleball on any of the Princess Ships? If so, which ships? Did cruisers bring the equipment or did Princess supply the paddles/balls/and nets? how many courts? How was it?

Thanks

It was on the Royal and the court was in use most of the sea days......great game and exercise!!

Played on the Royal Princess Transatlantic last year. It started with just a few of us and then there were so many people after a few days they started blocking off time and putting it in the Patter. All equipment was provided. only 1 court.

just got off the royal and i saw it in the patter twice on a 10 day cruise. they supplied equipment, used the basketball court. it was unattended by cruise staff, but i observed people who did know how to play helping others learn how to play.