Regal Princess dry dock end of 2016

jennymaxgirl

My travel agent has told me that the Regal will be going into dry dock at the end of 2016 for something to be done to the forward cabins......I am booked on a fwd cabin. She thought they were removing the connecting doors on the fwd balconies.

Has anyone heard of this dry dock or know what the plans are for the Regal ? Would have to have an unexpected surprise when we board the ship in March 2017.

thanks,

Jennifer

When you look at her deck plans there are several choices with deck plan before a certain date and then an option for deck plan after a certain date, sorry I don't have dates, going from my poor memory. But something is about to change on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is definitely the second Caribbean season Regal has been in Port Everglades.

A ship's first drydock often comes sooner than the average 2.5 to 3 years recurring schedule.

The first upcoming gap in Regal's deployment is Spring 2017 in Hamburg, as was just brought up in this thread.

Edited by fishywood

When you look at her deck plans there are several choices with deck plan before a certain date and then an option for deck plan after a certain date, sorry I don't have dates, going from my poor memory. But something is about to change on her.

Thats for most ships. Check it out.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Only some cabin categories, which has become an annual event for Princess. You get the same options for every ship.

Wrong. The Regal entered service in 2015! She's just a few months old!

Well on the Princess web site, it says 'May 2014'

"Guest Capacity: 3,560

Tonnage: 141,000

Builder: Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani, Monfalcone, Italy

Inaugural Cruise: May 20, 2014"

Perhaps you could let them know of their mistake.

I really wish the people at princess would read cruise critic more,

so they stop making these mistakes.

Edited by pablo222

Various agencies (Coast Guard, Licensing boards, insurance companies, propeller bearing maker, etc.) may require that the bottom be inspected every X months. Some of those factors may be tolerant of a longer interval the first time around, but others may actually request an earlier interval the first time, just to establish a baseline for future monitoring.

While getting a tour of the F/V Northwestern (of Deadliest Catch fame), Edgar Hansen said the US Coast Guard requires them to haul the boat out of the water every 18 months. Given their schedule cycles, that becomes almost the worst interval possible...12 months would be better, and 24 months would be better still, but 18 puts them right in the middle of crab season, etc. Obviously, being registered in Seattle, WA, they fall under USCG rules versus other jurisdictions.

• 4 months later...
My travel agent has told me that the Regal will be going into dry dock at the end of 2016 for something to be done to the forward cabins......I am booked on a fwd cabin. She thought they were removing the connecting doors on the fwd balconies.

Has anyone heard of this dry dock or know what the plans are for the Regal ? Would have to have an unexpected surprise when we board the ship in March 2017.

thanks,

Jennifer

The Regal does a 15 day transatlantic from April 6-21 ending in Hamburg then "disappears" from the schedule until April 30 when it begins a 11 day cruise from Copenhagen.

This is a normally scheduled routine dry dock that's done every 2-3 years. They will scrape and repaint the hull, clean the thrusters, service the engines and stabilizers, deep clean cabins and public areas, update ship electronics, etc.

Anyone who sails or lives near an ocean knows that salt and marine life does a number on anything and everything. Including ships not to mention many thousands of passengers using the cabins and facilities.

• 5 months later...
I'm guessing she will be sporting the new Sea Witch logo on her bow, like her sister after April's Dry Dock.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread.

I always get a chuckle at working 2 insult...

P.S. The new livery is hideous. But, as one poster pointed out,

if you are on the ship, you can't see it...

Edited by pablo222