Harvest Caye

forevertravel

I believe someone posted they had to buy their food and drinks while on Harvest Caye on a Regent cruise. Is this true? We are booked on NYE cruise December 20017 visiting Harvest Caye one day. How can Regent not provide food or drinks while there? Harvest Caye is owned by NCL. Whenever we have been to a private island (once on Oceania), the ship has a buffet lunch for passengers. Regent is all inclusive how can they expect passengers to pay for food and drinks while on this island? Any information from anyone who's visited Harvest Caye will be appreciated. Thank you.

Forevertravel:)

We were just on Harvest Caye this past week on the Mariner. Yup, you've gotta pay if you want to eat and/or drink. Apparently, NCL owns the island, but not the service end of the property. You can however, use your key card to charge any food/drink. If you've got scads of OMC, this is an ok thing. The island itself is lovely. Very well done, landscaping is beautiful. We were "compted" a villa. I could live there! giggle! Very high quality furnishings, details, etc. Concierge was spot on for literally anything we wanted from food/libations to chauffer driver golf carts for transport.

I know it's not for everyone and the idea of paying extra when on an all inclusive line is somewhat of a stretch, but we had a wonderful time there. It was so much better than what I had expected......I can tell you more, if you need to know more.....just ask.

Mudhen: As I recall, the "villa" is either $300 or $350 (when Regent doesn't make a mistake and you get it free). I would need to have a lot of OBC's to waste in order to pay for the villa, the food and drink and tipping the butler.

It sounds as if you had a lovely time which is great! We aren't beach people - only go into the water when on a boat and we jump off to snorkel.

I still think that Belize how a lot to offer outside of the main city. It's a shame that people may not book an excursion that takes them to see some of the sites.

We absolutely loved Harvest Caye. Did not eat lunch there as we had a huge breakfast....just a co,d beer. Really close to the pier to go back on the ship for a late snack and the beverage package drinks! The pool was fantastic and the walk through the grounds was fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We absolutely loved Harvest Caye. Did not eat lunch there as we had a huge breakfast....just a co,d beer. Really close to the pier to go back on the ship for a late snack and the beverage package drinks! The pool was fantastic and the walk through the grounds was fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad to hear how much you enjoyed Harvest Caye. For comparison purposes, have you been to other private islands with Regent - those where Regent puts out a great buffet and included drinks? I suspect that this is what Regent passengers will be comparing Harvest Caye to. I'm comparing it specifically to Turks and Caicos -- stunning beaches - everything that you mentioned except that they included drinks and food. OTOH, I see that some of the motorized vehicles are included as an excursion which was not done in Turks.

Hi Mudhen, thanks for the info. So how far a walk is it from the ship to the villas or the main pool? Are the food offerings similar to what you would get on the pool deck on the ship? Someone also reported the nearby snorkeling was cloudy, any insights on that? Thanks much!

Thank you for details. I was considering renting a cabana. I don't know if it's worth it if we have to go back to ship for lunch. Maybe do a excursion in the morning and visit Harvest Caye in the afternoon. If the distance from pier to facilities is close, that's not a big deal. I still think Regent should provide food and drink even if it means vouchers. I also considered a villa but I'm not spending that money where there is no food or drinks. Thank you again.

Forevertravel

It's a pretty long walk on the pier to get to Harvest Caye, although there are big golf carts that will drive you. We waited a couple of minutes for the cart and were on land in a minute or two. Since we had a "villa" (giggle!) we had a cart drive us to our "home for the day". It's a long walk if you hoof it, but no need. All villa's come with transportation provided. Even if you want to go to the pool, or the wildlife exhibit, etc, you just call and your "chauffer" shows up to drive you where ever you'd like to go. We used OBC for drinks and snacks. Yes, similar to what you'd get on the ship, however a draft beer (local and very good) is 5$, while a "girly drink" ranges from 9-12$. We have never been to any Regent "private" isle. I didn't even know they had one, other than HC. When do they go there?

We stayed and swam, etc until about 1 and then went back to the ship for lunch and serious alcohol...haha! I'm sorry but I cannot speak to snorkling. The beach we were on was total white sand, soft and lovely. There was a big flock of pelicans, just down the beach in a little cove that entertained most of the day....

Charging for food and beverages at Harvest Caye is ridiculous for an all inclusive line such as Regent. I imagine people will either bring their own or simply return to the ship for food when not on an excursion.

I realize that while the Caye is owned by NCL it is run by Belize residents. Still vouchers or waiving charges to passengers for food and beverage purchases on Harvest Caye (while assuring the people of Belize receive compensation) is more in line with Regent's all inclusive nature.

Charging for food and beverages at Harvest Caye is ridiculous for an all inclusive line such as Regent. I imagine people will either bring their own or simply return to the ship for food when not on an excursion.

I realize that while the Caye is owned by NCL it is run by Belize residents. Still vouchers or waiving charges to passengers for food and beverage purchases on Harvest Caye (while assuring the people of Belize receive compensation) is more in line with Regent's all inclusive nature.

Could not agree more!

On one of our earlier Regent cruises I believe we used Princess Caye. There were many hundred lounge chairs and only a few hundred of us. While the ship put on a nice cookout, more important to the luxury feel was having servers walking up and down the beach offering you drinks from the trays they were carrying. Even on Celebrity, when they stop at their private beach at Labadee, there is free food available and they accept your drink card.

In 2007 on board the Mariner for the start of Amazon cruise our ship met up with the Voyager beginning a world cruise at Princess Caye. No that is not a typo. Princess Caye

which Regent rented.

While on the island everything was included just like being on the ship. Even all the toys etc.

Find it weird that they are charging you on Harvest Caye.

I think the key difference is that other private islands are run entirely by the cruiseline that owns them. Harvest Caye is a bit different in that the concessions are run by locals from Belize and it's a source of income for them.

Still, Regent could certainly reimburse the locals for the food and drink used by passengers without charging the passengers (which contradicts the "all-inclusive" nature of Regent). They're already subsidizing the excursions. They just need to take it one step further and include food and beverages.

I think the key difference is that other private islands are run entirely by the cruiseline that owns them. Harvest Caye is a bit different in that the concessions are run by locals from Belize and it's a source of income for them.

Still, Regent could certainly reimburse the locals for the food and drink used by passengers without charging the passengers (which contradicts the "all-inclusive" nature of Regent). They're already subsidizing the excursions. They just need to take it one step further and include food and beverages.

agree 100%!

Our first Regent cruise was on Mariner in 2011 and we called at a private island in the Bahamas, (possibly owned by Carnival corp??) - EVERYTHING was included, as you would expect from an ALL Inclusive Cruise!

We are on the 14 February Explorer cruise calling at Harvest Caye and I am seriously unimpressed that Regent are not footing the bill for Harvest Caye - especially if NCL has some kind of an interest in it (I realise they are not the owners) :mad:

The only port I got off the ship. MY hip and knee were bothering me and I was given a cane by my roommate and was able to walk around Harvest Caye. My S&S card didn't work and neither did my roommates, we ended up paying for what we bought. One of the ladies said we were the first ship to come to the island. I had my first Coconut drink and it was fantastic and he cut out some of the fresh meat from the coconut for me. I got over heated so the Coconut water really got the job done. Just wish my S&S credits would have worked.

Alice Faye

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been to Harvest Caye before - or any other private island, for that matter - but I'm curious - regardless of who owns the island, why should food and drink be included? I mean, if you're walking around the beach on Barbados (or whatever island you're on that day) your food and drinks aren't included - I'm not sure I understand why they should be part of a beach day regardless of who 'owns' the island. Or am I missing something?

Harvest Caye is not like Barbados or any other island. It's an island owned by NCL corporation. If you visit islands owned by Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, etc, the ship has a buffet lunch for passengers at no charge. Therefore, since Harvest Caye is owned by NCL corporation and Regent is "all inclusive" there shouldn't be any charge for drinks or lunch. I guess they expect passengers to go back to ship for drinks and food. As I look at the tours while in Harvest Caye there is no snorkeling or any tours right there in Harvest Caye. You can rent a cabana or villa for x amount of dollars. Right now Harvest Caye does not sound like a place I want to visit. Maybe the best thing is to stay on the ship.:)

Agree - small private islands are not like larger islands. We have visited a private island in Tahiti (on Regent), as well as a couple of others. In every case, the cruise lines sets up food or a barbeque for their guests. These islands get huge ships that are not all-inclusive and the vendors must do quite well. IMO, a stipend to the vendors should be enough and Regent should be able to set up something for their passengers.

On the other hand, why not go into Belize and do an excursion? There are some great ones (assume it is accessible since Regent does offer excursions on the "mainland".)

Since the snorkeling excursions were just cancelled, most of the interesting mainland Belize excursions were already fully booked. I've been to several ruins in Belize previously so that doesn't particularly interest me anyway.

I believe the snorkeling excursions will be available eventually but not before April.

Since the snorkeling excursions were just cancelled, most of the interesting mainland Belize excursions were already fully booked. I've been to several ruins in Belize previously so that doesn't particularly interest me anyway.

I believe the snorkeling excursions will be available eventually but not before April.

Not sure how Regent's river rafting cruises are, but, we did a private cave tubing excursion in Belize and it was amazing. Here is a link to a company that is well respected throughout the world. Maybe something here may be of interest. https://www.viator.com/Belize-tours/Water-Sports/d746-g17

Hi Travelcat, at Harvest Caye you can't take any private tours, only the ones offered on the ship. the tubing one offered on our cruise Feb 14 is not the same one you took. it is down a river and does not make mention of any caves. We are really bummed about the snorkel trip being canceled. Regent did not really offer a good snorkel experience in Cozumel so we did arrange one on our own there. In Costa Maya we are "wait listed" for the power snorkel, So much for the "free" shore excursions. This is our first Regent cruise and as far as booking shore excursions we are less then impressed.