Would you go on an adults only cruise?

Travelcat2

There have been many threads about children - whether on cruises during the summer when there are children programs or other times. Even people that love kids (teachers, for instance) need a break. I think that we would all agree that teachers (whether in regular or pre-school would appreciate some adult time. Unfortunately, the only time most teachers can take a break is during the summer when there are many children on cruise ships.

So, I started this thread to see if there are enough people that would be happy to have the option of one or two "adult" cruises during the summer. Whenever this subject has been broached, the fact that Carnival tried it years ago and failed is brought up. In order for Regent to consider this possibility, they would likely need to hear from their customers. Thus, this thread.

So, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Travelcat2

I would LOVE that option. One reason my wife and I so enjoy cruising is that it's such an escape, and a serene and relaxing one as well. When it comes to kids on cruises, there's a fine line between boisterous and monumentally annoying. To be fair, there were so few kids on our Regent journey this November that it wasn't an issue.

We booked a Viking Oceans cruise this summer in the Baltic, and one of the selling points was the fact that the line discourages the presence of young kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although on the holiday cruise on Explorer there were a lot of kids and they didn't bother us at all. We generally take a suite where we can sun on our deck, rather than go to the pool deck. I think that is where the most disruption occurs. We would not cruise to cruise just because it was adults only. It would have to have a good itinerary.

Not a Regent customer, although I do have Regent under consideration for a future cruise.

An adults only cruise would be enough for me to make the leap, especially if it was at a time of year when there do tend to be kids onboard, whether it be a northern or southern hemisphere itinerary.

Absolutely! Whilst some adults may be annoying/irritating/ill behaved there is no doubt that children, by their nature, are likely to cause more concerns for those seeking calm, tranquility and quiet relaxation, particularly around pools, dining/meal times and in lounge areas. Never sure why people take small children on cruises tbh, seems to be self indulgent and more for the sake of the parents than the youngsters!

We have been fortunate, there have been no more than a handful of young children in the 2 Regent cruises we have then and all have been well behaved, almost invisible tbh - but that can't be relied upon.

We have taken 1 P & O adult only cruise, it was excellent for the above mentioned features but it lacked the general quality and style of a Regent cruise and the food wasn't in the same class. Thus, an adult only Regent cruise during the summer, say to the Baltic and/or Fjords, would suit us fine.

That would be a great incentive for me too.

Instead of calling it "Adults Only" they could take a cue from the smoking issue and call it a "Child Free" environment.

Perfect wording..... now if we just get Regent to read this thread.

We would certainly consider it, but the marketing dept will have to think of an alternative description to Adults Only which has "connotations" these days ;)

I thought the same thing. Would have to call it "Child Free" instead or might get an interesting different demographic.

Have been on a number of Regent cruises where there were children on board.

Only time we really noticed them was around the pool. Though well behaved

problem was they pretty much took over the pool and few if any adults would even

attempt to get in. Same with hot tubs.

On one cruise a gentleman finally had enough and told who ever was in charge

to kick all the kids out of the pool area so adults could use both the pool and hot tub

without yelling, screaming, jumping, splashing going on. After discussions and the Captain

getting involved that is exactly what they did. Course this only lasted that afternoon and everything went back to the way it was.

Personally I prefer "kids free", but do believe there could be some sort of compromise

such as "kid free days" at the pool deck and Regent has other activities for them.

Hard for Regent since they really don't do activities for kids but maybe it is possible.

Hate to see families not consider Regent during the summer and holidays because of this

but have seen it a problem in the past.

As a teacher who deals with children 10 months out of the year, I really enjoyed cruises that did not offer many amenities for children--Viking River cruises, Seabourn, etc. I would welcome a "Children free" cruise and it has taken 28 years and having retired this year to be able to choose cruises during the year when children are in school. I'm sure that I would have taken advantage of "children free" cruises in the summer if they were available. So, you have my vote for Regent or any other cruise line, for that matter, to offer itineraries that are not available to children.

As a parent and former kid myself, I can see both sides of this discussion. Of the half dozen Regent cruises we've been on, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been bothered by unruly kids. But...even those few times were too many.

There are numerous options that are geared more toward kids. Parents who insist on taking trips on luxury lines and letting their kids run wild are nothing more than selfish twits, in my not-so-humble opinion. I would be perfectly fine with Regent allowing kids on board, as long as they meet acceptable standards of behavior. But there are quite a few who don't, and they'd need to be dealt with swiftly and definitively.

To be fair, Regent and the other luxury lines deliberately (?) don't offer any special facilities for children which I assume they hope will deter families with young kids. But there are always a few who insist on going anyway. I'm sure if Regent did offer special child free itineraries they would be popular but no doubt there would be the predictable indignant squeals of "discrimination" from the people who believe their kids enjoyment and needs come before their own and others at all times.

To be fair, Regent and the other luxury lines deliberately (?) don't offer any special facilities for children which I assume they hope will deter families with young kids. But there are always a few who insist on going anyway. I'm sure if Regent did offer special child free itineraries they would be popular but no doubt there would be the predictable indignant squeals of "discrimination" from the people who believe their kids enjoyment and needs come before their own and others at all times.

If there are "people that believe their kids enjoyment and needs come before their own and others at all times", they would not book Regent since most mainstream cruise lines offer so much more than Regent does. IMO, it is selfish parents that put their needs before their children are the ones that sail on Regent. Just another perspective.

I would rather have one that excluded conceited, arrogant, bumptious, puffed up, pompous, overbearing, opinionated, cocky, presumptuous, egotistical adults. There are not many, but always there are some on board, but they annoy me way more than kids.

j

I would rather have one that excluded conceited, arrogant, bumptious, puffed up, pompous, overbearing, opinionated, cocky, presumptuous, egotistical adults. There are not many, but always there are some on board, but they annoy me way more than kids.

j

True, but those types are often more easily ignored than the shrieking, running, throwing, jumping, and otherwise uncontrolled brats who, although also rare, nonetheless still exist on Regent as well.

j

+1

add rude, inconsiderate & pushy...................what bit of 'let people out of a lift before trying to get in' don't some understand :rolleyes:

j

Exactly.

I disagree. I'd tolerate a few bellicose older passengers way more than, (1) screaming ten year olds running up and down the hall, canon balling into pools while I'm trying to read, spilling ice cream on the deck, or disrupting any dining experience in any way, (2) a crying baby in the cabin next door, or (3) a loud video game arcade taking up space on the ship.

Granted, there were some irritating adults on our Regent cruise this summer, most notably the two who decided to treat our entire excursion group to a few decidedly unamusing opera pieces sung from the center of an ancient amphitheater in Cyprus, in spite of the fact that our guide had to stop talking for ten minutes to indulge them, and they wouldn't stop when we all asked them too.

But please, there's nothing worse than ill behaved kids running amok, and the parents who let it happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If there are "people that believe their kids enjoyment and needs come before their own and others at all times", they would not book Regent since most mainstream cruise lines offer so much more than Regent does. IMO, it is selfish parents that put their needs before their children are the ones that sail on Regent. Just another perspective.

Couldn't agree more. And it's exactly those selfish parents who put their own needs above those for heir children who never do a thing to stop their issue from disrupting other peoples' peace and quiet.