Explorer Miami/Miami Feb 4

Mjflowers

Well, we are on our way. South Beach Thur/ Fri. Explorer Sat for our 7th with Regent 10 days. Been a couple of years away. Shouldn't stay away for to long. Not an avid poster, but will try to drop a few points. My expectations are high.

My reality will be my observations.:confused:

Fair Winds and Following Seas Mjflowers. We also took a four year sabbatical from Regent (now on board the Voyager in New Zealand) and have found the Voyager a reborn beauty. No Silversea ships in the fleet now (Muse maybe an exception) realistically compare in public spaces and suites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Wes, Dan and all. Thankyou

JPR suite 858.

In a few words. Been on ship for a couple of hours.

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing.

Life boat drill early so we can leave early. Yea.

Will update as I go along.

Dp

Curious to hear more about the ship leaving early? What time were you scheduled to depart vs actual time? We'll be sailing her out of Miami next year and I was hoping to board at the latest possible time due to work reasons. Would hate to be left behind!

Curious to hear more about the ship leaving early? What time were you scheduled to depart vs actual time? We'll be sailing her out of Miami next year and I was hoping to board at the latest possible time due to work reasons. Would hate to be left behind!

Don't worry. The ship only leaves early when all passengers are on board. :D

I believe you'll have to be on board 90 minutes before the published sailing time.

We are booked in 858 for the TA in November so looking forward to your thoughts about Explorer but particularly about this cabin. Have read some comments recommending taking a nightlight as it is so dark if you need to get up in the night.

Regent understands the problem about the need for nightlights on Explorer and has some available on board (when I commented on my mid-cruise comment card that I wish I had remembered to bring one with me, I found one of those flat lights which fit in a shaver socket on my bed that night!) Perhaps they will supply one per suite soon? Easy enough to do, I'd have thought, and not a budget-buster for the most lux...well, you know how that sentence ends.

Regent understands the problem about the need for nightlights on Explorer and has some available on board (when I commented on my mid-cruise comment card that I wish I had remembered to bring one with me, I found one of those flat lights which fit in a shaver socket on my bed that night!) Perhaps they will supply one per suite soon? Easy enough to do, I'd have thought, and not a budget-buster for the most lux...well, you know how that sentence ends.

We read various posts stating concerns about the 'night lighting' on Explorer.

I had a search around various UK retailers and came up with these from Maplin's - just £3.99 for 3 ! They are about 2 inches in diameter.

You just tap the top to turn them on, and the same to turn them off. On our forthcoming cruise on Explorer we will probably position one on each bedside table and the other just inside the bathroom.

A little crazy I know, bringing your own lighting onboard the most lux .......

rolson-battery-powered-white-stick-on-lights-triple-pack.jpg.93cec33db1e75f0b8a54abffd628b9da.jpg

machotspur, we fully intended to get something similar to take with us, but with Christmas and so on, totally forgot and I kicked myself on the first night on board when I realised.

The one supplied by Regent has two straight pins - like a US plug - and looks like the one shown in post #7 on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1828847 There is a "nightlight" outside the bathroom doors on Explorer, accessed by a switch with a blue light (the other light switches are illuminated green). It shines directly down from the ceiling and is placed about 6" from the door frame. For us, it was of no use whatsoever!

We did leave early. About 20 minutes. DaveR is right about if everybody is on board, away you go.

We are booked in 858 for the TA in November so looking forward to your thoughts about Explorer but particularly about this cabin. Have read some comments recommending taking a nightlight as it is so dark if you need to get up in the night.

A night light would help. I use a small flashlight if needed.

Still trying to figure out all the light switches. They are all over the place. Hopefully by the end of our trip I will a have it down pat.

We did get the Super Bowl. What a game. ESPN Euro broadcast. Someone previously posted on reliable sources that because of the thousands of dollars for the cost that Regent would not be showing the game.:rolleyes:

No commercials, but we did get the half time show:(

We brought a small box of inexpensive battery powered tea candles. Worked great.

For a brand new "luxury" cruise ship to not have night lights in all the cabins is a big fail on someone's part. I can't believe that management wouldn't have noticed this as they developed the specs for the new ship.

Now that it is built, it isn't expensive or complicated to furnish all the cabins with some kind of night light. Hopefully someone will not fall or be injured until Regent corrects this major screw-up.

The idea that people are paying thousands of dollars for a cruise and then have to bring their own night lights is not in keeping with the concept of luxury.

I will try again but faster before I get booted again. WiFi a joke.

Can not say any thing worse because I would be reprimanded for my bad language. Total breakdown. Regent. Do something about this. Spend less on art, marble, decor, etc. this is the new Age. Spend mo than a few minutes and you loose signal

Nite light. I use the phone. It lights up like a flashlight. And you can always put it to use if your in the bathroom:D

I will try again but faster before I get booted again. WiFi a joke.

Can not say any thing worse because I would be reprimanded for my bad language. Total breakdown. Regent. Do something about this. Spend less on art, marble, decor, etc. this is the new Age. Spend mo than a few minutes and you loose signal

Nite light. I use the phone. It lights up like a flashlight. And you can always put it to use if your in the bathroom:D

Regent's management has a major blind spot when it comes to some issues related to communications. This overall poor internet service on board just goes on and on despite promises that it will be or has been improved and despite how it has been extolled in Regent's advertising. (Yes, I'm aware that sometimes it works "okay"--but obviously if often doesn't based on my experience onboard all of Regent's ships and based on continuing posts on CC).

In the past when I've raised the issue onboard with staff the response is invariably something along the line that they wish it would be fixed too and they tell "Miami" about it. One might conclude after all these years that "Miami", aka Regent, doesn't care or is incompetent. And if any of Regent's management team feels otherwise, I would welcome their views on why this problem continues on and on.

I would venture a guess that someone, somewhere did a demographics study and determined that a small enough percentage of Regent customers needed or wanted reliable high-speed internet that they deemed it more important to invest in a Tibetan prayer wheel than adequate comm infrastructure.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the prayer wheel to pray for faster internet?