But is the Explorer really the most luxurious ship ever built?

BarbarianPaul

My wife and I sailed on the Explorer in November, and we absolutely loved it. But at the time the only other ship on which we had sailed was the Crystal Serenity, which we thought was quite nice. But hands down the Seven Seas Explorer, from its staff to its dining to making us feel special, was far superior, truly in a league of its own.

But I'm curious if the more experienced cruisers out there have or have not had better experiences elsewhere. And if you do feel the ship is the epitome of luxury, does that mean it's your favorite? And if a ship doesn't have quite as much marble or artwork, does that absolutely mean it's less luxurious?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In our view, by far, Explorer has been the best ship which we have sailed for the reasons you stated. Had an F1, which was spacious, food and facilities top notch. There was really nothing NOT to like. Our next cruise will be on Voyager, our former fav., which we are choosing based on itinerary only......

Your question is subjective and you will likely hear from customers from other cruise lines(that have never stepped foot on the Explorer) that their cruise line is the most luxurious. There is no real way to measure it. According to this recent thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2445930 Forbes agrees that the title of "the most luxurious cruise ship ever built" is warranted.

Our experience is limited to Silversea and Regent (not counting Oceania as it is not a "luxury cruise line" according to CEO Frank Del Rio. My DH and I had no interest in cruising until we sailed on the Paul Gauguin (managed by Radisson/Regent). We love the "Regent Experience" (an old tag line used by Regent) and have sailed on all of their ships. All of them have marble, granite and artwork but, IMO, they do not hold a candle to the Explorer. This is not to say that we didn't really enjoy Silversea (three of their ships) or Regent's ships...... they simply do not match up to Explorer.

We have sailed in PH and above suites for years (mostly due to upsells). We have, however, stayed in "regular" suites on all Regent ships (including the Explorer). On the Explorer, they paid attention to every detail -- from USB ports next to both sides of the bed to a reading light that comes out of the wall next to the sofa. The bathroom has more space than many bathrooms at home and they have a large shower and bathtub as well as two sinks and a large counter. The safe is large enough to put a ladies regular size handbag in, the closet could fit enough clothing for a world cruise. The Explorer is now the only ship that we would book a F1/F2 or concierge suite on (and we have one booked for 2019 - we put our money where our mouth is).

The public areas on the Explorer are amazing - lots of areas to sit, look out of the windows, chat, read a book or whatever (the Mariner probably has the same amount of public space but most of it is wasted).

Lest I sound as if I would only sail the Explorer in the future (really wish that it was true), we are booked on one Mariner and two Voyager cruises in late 2017 and 2018.

Sorry for rambling -- this is simply one topic that I find it difficult to stop talking about.

I'll have to wait and let you know - we're booked on Explorer in April and August. Cat F2 and Cat E (for the pre-cruise hotel, mostly) and should hit Gold in August. We've only sailed one other line besides Regent (once on Cunard) and we've sailed on each of Regent's other ships and have loved every trip. From everything I've read, the experience will be as good as the others with the added bonus of a more elegant ship.

Sounds like a win-win to me. :D

It will totally be a win-win Bill!

I'm just trying to reconcile a more interesting itinerary I've been eyeing on what I fear will be a nice but not exceptional ship vs. the platinum standard of the Seven Seas Explorer. Was hoping for a few conflicting opinions, but none seem to have materialized.

It will totally be a win-win Bill!

I'm just trying to reconcile a more interesting itinerary I've been eyeing on what I fear will be a nice but not exceptional ship vs. the platinum standard of the Seven Seas Explorer. Was hoping for a few conflicting opinions, but none seem to have materialized.

What is the other ship that you are considering? (another Regent? or another line?) and what are the two itineraries?

wripro---

Of course there's no such thing as a definitive answer! It's all totally subjective! My fault for phrasing the question like I did. I'm more interested in what your definition of luxury is, and what you look for.

Flossie---it's a back to back Antarctica and Brazilian coastline cruise next year. It's another line entirely, Holland America, on an older ship. The dates and itinerary work perfectly for us. I'm just worried that Regent has me incredibly spoiled!

Agree with Rick but there is something to be said about going to Antarctica (a place that Regent ships can no longer sail to). Are you spoiled by Regent? Absolutely! But, that does not mean that you could not enjoy a different experience.

I would look long and hard at what excursions, alcohol, water, soft drinks, tips and other "extras" will cost you on HAL. If Silversea is affordable for you, they reportedly do wonderful trips to Antarctica and are inclusive - just something to think about.

Note: There is a 25% charge for alcohol, soda and items that you buy onboard while in the seas off of Brazil. On Regent, since the drinks are included this is not an issue. However, even Regent warns passengers that the 25% surcharge/tax will be added to items purchased in the Boutique. Also, consider how long you will be sailing in Brazillian (sp?) waters as Regent finds it difficult to find fresh produce in Brazil -- sometimes you have to do without lemons and other items for a few days.

Good advice from both you guys, so thanks! My first thought was Silversea, which is pricey but for a once in a lifetime experience why not. The thing is, we want to see South America as well, not just a ten day Antarctica trip out of Ushuaia. And I'm not really into the whole "expedition boat" kinda thing, even though it's more up close and personal with Antarctica. It looks like a trawler to me, and I'd rather be on a real life cruise ship!

So this particular ship, the Zandaam, travels from Valparaiso to Buenos Ares with four days in the Antarctic, followed by another 12 day Brazilian coast line cruise, which--my schedule permitting--we can do back to back.

Beverage packages aren't really an issue since my wife and I only occasionally have a glass of wine, and we don't drink soda. And there aren't a ton of specialty restaurants on the ship. The excursions are monumentally pricey, and--ironically--when you price them into the cruise, as well as airfare , you wind up in Regent territory cost wise, or even higher!

But we love the thought of seeing so much of South America, and for us the schedule/itinerary is perfect. Am sure it will be a different experience, but hopefully a memorable one!

Comment re: Antarctica cruise on other than Regent. I will confine the following to our experience on HAL's Rotterdam a few years back (2008) on an itinerary very similar to what is described above for whatever value it might be for those who have become totally spoiled with an "all inclusive" experience vs. a neat itinerary on the larger vessels with multiple attendant add-on charges, which are added on each day.

Perspective: 23+ years cruising on numerous lines--including HAL, Celebrity, and Cunard. Began w/HAL. Then, gravitated to the smaller Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, and, of course Regent vessels beginning in the late 1990s. Almost exclusively on Regent to the present. The Rotterdam cruise, with several extended family members, was from Rio to Antarctica and beyond (Chile) well-aware the experience would require accepting realities by being on a 1900+passenger ship. Eyes wide-open; and expectations adjusted accordingly. Previous mid-1990s experiences w/HAL were positive. We got what we paid-for. No complaints.

HAL did a great job on that 2008 trip. Severe weather was a problem, causing cancelation, or curtailment of several ports-of-call, including the Falkland Islands. This was a major disappointment from my perspective as a retired Army Officer who studied the April-June, 1982 Falkland War with Great Britain. Was looking forward to one land tour which would have allowed, literally, retracing British land forces' movements from the invasion beaches to Port Stanley). Most HAL cruises from Rio south put The Falkland Islands on the itinerary. So, pray for favorable weather.

Should you go w/HAL, expect a great experience. We had five days in Antarctic waters. The weather was favorable on three of those days. It was a magical experience. Simply accepted the reality of continual add-on charges to the basic fare. Yes, we did adjust certain behavior(s), like, for example, no wine at lunch. A small matter.

Have no doubt you will enjoy a HAL trip. Hope this helps in your deliberation.

GoARMY!

Lindblad's National Geo Explorer is certainly not a "trawler." Our 23-day Antarctica trip included visits to South Georgia and The Falklands.It was a life-changing experience. The naturalists, Zodiac landings and open bridge really added to the experience. I would highly recommend it...and it enabled us to add our seventh continent.

...... put The Falkland Islands on the itinerary. So, pray for favorable weather. GoARMY!

Pray a lot ! I think I am correct in saying that the Falklands is the 'most cancelled' port of call for mainstream cruise ships - something like 40% I think. I understand that the expedition type ships suffer from fewer cancellations.

Lindblad's National Geo Explorer is certainly not a "trawler." Our 23-day Antarctica trip included visits to South Georgia and The Falklands.It was a life-changing experience. The naturalists, Zodiac landings and open bridge really added to the experience. I would highly recommend it...and it enabled us to add our seventh continent.

We've booked this itinerary for later this year. We narrowed it down to Linblad or Silversea and went with the latter in the end. Speaking with expedition crew on the ships, South Georgia is often cited as their favourite place to visit.

Whilst not being to the luxury standard of some mainstream ships both of these ships are probably the most comfortable way to do this itinerary

Have you looked into Seabourn? They do Antarctica trips from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, so you get to see South America and actually land in Antarctica rather than doing a drive by. I highly recommend that trip; for us it was the best compromise between expedition and luxury.

Wow, has this thread gotten away from the original topic...

Explorer is our favorite cruise ship, though we also very much like the other Regent ships and the Oceania "O" ships. Seabourn ships apparently have the edge in consistent quality of service and certain amenities, but not on overall luxury.

We particularly enjoyed the state-of-the-art teaching kitchen on Explorer. Few have mentioned the relatively large main pool.

Wow, has this thread gotten away from the original topic...

Explorer is our favorite cruise ship, though we also very much like the other Regent ships and the Oceania "O" ships. Seabourn ships apparently have the edge in consistent quality of service and certain amenities, but not on overall luxury.

We particularly enjoyed the state-of-the-art teaching kitchen on Explorer. Few have mentioned the relatively large main pool.

Good point about the pool. It is stunning - have not seen anything similar on any other luxury cruise line (my only knowledge of pools on Seabourn and Crystal are photographs).

Very curious why you feel that Seabourn has an edge in "consistent quality of service and certain other amenities".

Larry1365...sorry, I'm sure none of those exploration ships are trawlers! No doubt they are uniquely special.

And BBWC, I did indeed look into Seabourn. But the cruise following their 21 night Valparaiso- Buenos Aires itinerary is a 21 night trip up the Amazon, which has us gone just too long, whereas the cruise following the Holland America South America/Antarctic route is a 12 day Brazilian coastline cruise, which is more preferable to us for a back to back.

Clearly, I'm not expecting quite the same level of luxury, and am going in with eyes open re upcharges and such...but it does provide an amazing opportunity to see more of South America than we had planned.

And I'm not sure we'll be back anywhere near there soon after that with so many other unique itineraries out there.

We love Regent. It is our first choice. That being said we did the Seabourn Quest to Antarctica . It was excellent. In our opinion getting off the ship in Antarctica is a priceless experience. We would gladly give up a trip along the coast of Brazil for being on land in Antarctica.

We have done many cruises on Holland America. It is a totally different experience than what we get from the luxury service on Regent or Seabourn. Whether you pay for drinks is the least of it. Please keep exploring the question as you think about your decision .

I think you would have gotten better input with a different title to your thread.

BP, you have an interesting conundrum; but then some of the fun of cruising is the forward planning and expectation :)

How about concentrating on the Antarctic segment, shortlisting available cruises and then seeing what South American cruises mesh with the dates; each segment does not need to be with the same cruiseline.

Obviously this more complex plan might mean a connecting flight and/or hotel stay between cruise segments

We have cruised every line except HAL. We have not done the new to be Seabourn ship, nor the new Silverseas. We have never been on a ship more beautiful than the Explorer. Were there down sides--yes, but too small to even bring up. Prior to this I didn't like Regent as the crew seemed demotivated, but the crew on the Explorer has a whole new attitude. We realize that there are up sides and down sides to each cruise line and we are not particularly stuck on one line. I will say that we have booked another two cruises back to back on Explorer over the holidays this year which are almost a month. Looking forward to it.