Passport vs. Birth Certificate

KPfromCT

Not all of them have raised seals anymore. As long as it's the official one it's fine. So basically, if she can use it to get a Passport, it will work for the ship. No time/desire to get a new Passport?

We are going to the post office tomorrow, but if they require a raised seal, I want to know if she can just bring her drivers license and "copy" of her long form drivers license. Don't want to get turned away.

We are going to the post office tomorrow, but if they require a raised seal, I want to know if she can just bring her drivers license and "copy" of her long form drivers license. Don't want to get turned away.

Our BCs don't have raised seals and they are right from the Dept of Vital Statistics. If it's a photocopy of the BC, then I think it will be OK although I have seen arguments for both sides so I'm not sure.

Our BCs don't have raised seals and they are right from the Dept of Vital Statistics. If it's a photocopy of the BC, then I think it will be OK although I have seen arguments for both sides so I'm not sure.

I have never seen an argument that I did not like.... On a more serious note, I have read the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never seen an argument that I did not like.... On a more serious note, I have read the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Thanks for the help, Jimbo!!!:D:D:D

I will find out tomorrow at the post office, at least for the passport.

Hopefully more people will chime in about their experiences at the port.

I really don't feel like blowing a half day to go to Hartford Department of Vital Stastistics, AGAIN!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Thanks for the help, Jimbo!!!:D:D:D

I will find out tomorrow at the post office, at least for the passport.

Hopefully more people will chime in about their experiences at the port.

I really don't feel like blowing a half day to go to Hartford Department of Vital Stastistics, AGAIN!!!!!

Understand, let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPhone

I used to process passport applications for the U.S. Department of State. As proof of citizenship, we would accept OFFICIAL copies of birth certificates, i.e. they had either a raised seal or a stamp authenticating them as official. However, we would not accept a mere photocopy of a birth certificate. So, if you have one of the former, then the official at the post office can accept your passport application and it will be sufficient for you to board a cruise. However, if it is a mere photocopy, then the official at the post office will not accept it and you should be denied boarding a cruise (although I have heard some people slip through.)

I used to process passport applications for the U.S. Department of State. As proof of citizenship, we would accept OFFICIAL copies of birth certificates, i.e. they had either a raised seal or a stamp authenticating them as official. However, we would not accept a mere photocopy of a birth certificate. So, if you have one of the former, then the official at the post office can accept your passport application and it will be sufficient for you to board a cruise. However, if it is a mere photocopy, then the official at the post office will not accept it and you should be denied boarding a cruise (although I have heard some people slip through.)

This is NOT what I wanted to hear.

Groan:mad:

OP, send the original BC off with the passport application but make a copy of it first. If the passport doesn't come back in time then you may use the copy of the passport to board the cruise. CCL's FAQ does say that a copy is acceptable, as do the governing DHS regulations. (And if it eases your mind I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate when I boarded Pride just to end this type of debate.)

OP, send the original BC off with the passport application but make a copy of it first. If the passport doesn't come back in time then you may use the copy of the passport to board the cruise. CCL's FAQ does say that a copy is acceptable, as do the governing DHS regulations. (And if it eases your mind I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate when I boarded Pride just to end this type of debate.)

Thank you!!!! This puts my mind at ease.:D:D

It's too late to edit but I meant to type "...then you may use the copy of the birth certificate to board the cruise." That's what I get for posting before having enough morning coffee:o.

If you are applying for a passport now then you should receive it in plenty of time. Renewals are taking 2 to 3 weeks.

I know, but I cannot find the original BC with the "seal" on it. Do they send it back with the passport, or keep it? Maybe that's why I just have the copy.:confused:

It's too late to edit but I meant to type "...then you may use the copy of the birth certificate to board the cruise." That's what I get for posting before having enough morning coffee:o.

That's what I thought the original question was. I don't know how it turned into sending an unofficial copy to apply for a Passport. But I think a copy to board the ship will be OK as well per my first response.

I know, but I cannot find the original BC with the "seal" on it. Do they send it back with the passport, or keep it? Maybe that's why I just have the copy.:confused:

So do you only have a photocopy or do you have a copy that you received from the issuing authority? As stated many jurisdictions don't use a raised seal any longer. Any original documents submitted with the passport application are returned in a different mailing than the passport. To apply for a passport you will need to submit an original document as received from the issuing authority.

So do you only have a photocopy or do you have a copy that you received from the issuing authority? As stated many jurisdictions don't use a raised seal any longer. Any original documents submitted with the passport application are returned in a different mailing than the passport. To apply for a passport you will need to submit an original document as received from the issuing authority.

You know what? lol I have no clue. Now that you say many don't have the seal anymore, maybe this IS the one I got from the office of vital statistics. It did come back in the envelope (separate from the passports) I will take it to the post office and see what they say.

Worst case, she can use her DL and this copy. Thank you for all of your help!:D:D:D

They send everything back but they are in a separate envelope from the Passport. You can either go to the Vital Statistics office and get another one or order one off Vital Check.

If you are applying for a passport now then you should receive it in plenty of time. Renewals are taking 2 to 3 weeks.

I can confirm on the 2-3 weeks. We took our son on 1/28 to the USPS and the issued date on the passport we received this Thursday is 2/3/17. :eek: No expedide requested but man that was fast!!