Bariatric Friendly Eating On The Ships!

hermhogwarts55

So before anyone gets on me about how their sister's cousin's friend's grandmother died from getting Gastric Bypass surgery, you're wasting your time, I know the risk, my doctor has the lowest mortality rate in the country and I feel safe getting this surgery. I'm not lazy for getting this surgery, I'm sick and tired of only losing 10 pounds and not a pound more and then giving up and gaining even more weight than I lost. Not to get into the details I'm dedicated and as a reward about 2 years out I'm planning a cruise to commemorate getting to my goal (cause I will, I have faith) and to enjoy life. So my question is this:

Are there many sugar free options? Also the Guy Burger Join, does it do Protein (lettuce wrapped) burgers? And what are the free drinks Carnival offers? I noticed they took away juice... so it's water and milk? coffee? Any other suggestions as to what other food options a person who has had Bariatric surgery should have?

Again I know the risks, and I figured at the rate my health is declining whilst I am somewhat overweight, I might as well take the chance of trying to make a healthier change. And it'll make walking on my treadmill a hell of a lot easier! :D

So before anyone gets on me about how their sister's cousin's friend's grandmother died from getting Gastric Bypass surgery, you're wasting your time, I know the risk, my doctor has the lowest mortality rate in the country and I feel safe getting this surgery. I'm not lazy for getting this surgery, I'm sick and tired of only losing 10 pounds and not a pound more and then giving up and gaining even more weight than I lost. Not to get into the details I'm dedicated and as a reward about 2 years out I'm planning a cruise to commemorate getting to my goal (cause I will, I have faith) and to enjoy life. So my question is this:

Are there many sugar free options? Also the Guy Burger Join, does it do Protein (lettuce wrapped) burgers? And what are the free drinks Carnival offers? I noticed they took away juice... so it's water and milk? coffee? Any other suggestions as to what other food options a person who has had Bariatric surgery should have?

Again I know the risks, and I figured at the rate my health is declining whilst I am somewhat overweight, I might as well take the chance of trying to make a healthier change. And it'll make walking on my treadmill a hell of a lot easier! :D

I haven't cruised yet, but I know they always have a sugar free dessert. Protein and veggies are easy to find and fruit is good for dessert too. I'm not public about surgery so if you'd like to talk outside of here, let me know!

There's usually a sugar free or no sugar added dessert, and there's always fruit or a cheese plate. Plan your eating strategy ahead of time, don't worry about ordering something and leaving most of it on the plate - just smile and tell the wait staff that you're watching your diet, no explanation needed. Just eat as normal, get your protein in, ask for sauces on the side when possible. I would order an appetizer, eat a couple of bites and then my husband would finish it. Order a main course, eat about a third of it, sometimes he'd eat some of it, sometimes not. The first night the waiter asks if he can get me something else, did I not like the dinner, but I just tell them everything was great and I'm just watching my diet. After that they don't say anything else - one of the reasons we like the traditional dining. There's iced tea and lemonade in the buffet area - mix a little lemonade in a glass of tea, the lemonade is too sweet, the tea is bad without something in it. Just a little lemonade makes it drinkable without much sugar.

Good luck!

You can go to the dining room when you embark and let them know you have special dietary needs, IE low/no sugar, etc. They will give you the menu for the next evening at the end of the night so that you can preplanning your meals.

Don't be afraid to special order! They want you to be happy with your meal and your choices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good for you!! I think its awesome you have decided to take serious control and get that extra boost. As mentioned by others here there are a ton of healthy options you can choose from. I think with your surgery you will probably want to keep portion size in mind and then of course the sensible plate, ie making most of your plate veggies, opting for brown rices and whole grains when applicable. Most things you can order how you want it in the dining room. Good luck and enjoy your success when you hit your goal.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Don't worry about what you eat but how you eat. Remember small bites and to really chew everything. I can have trouble with that when having a lively conversation at dinner and am not paying attention. Remember not to wash everything with water. Have had to leave abruptly on more than one occasion. Don't worry about leaving food I have never been questioned just smile and say it was delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I haven't cruised yet, but I've noticed that the Carnival ships have a "special diets" section under the dining options. You could send an email and see what that consists of.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

Hi, I haven't cruised yet, but I've noticed that the Carnival ships have a "special diets" section under the dining options. You could send an email and see what that consists of.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

I had a gastric sleeve over two years ago and have cruised three times since. First great decision - I haven't regretted one second. I didn't read your post that closely so if you mentioned how far out you will be I am sorry I didn't see it. I don't eat the deserts except in the main dining room and I only eat a bite or two and then I am done. Guys I just order the burger without the bread and eat a few bites and then I am done.

You will know when you are full and will stop. My biggest issue is the pastry at breakfast - in order to help myself with that - we go to the main dining room and I just use will power to not eat them - but sometimes it's hard. I love the stuff at the Havana Bar on the Sunshine - I really had to force myself to stay away from there!

I don't eat ice cream so that wasnt an issue. Believe me you may eat more than you usually do but your stomach will stop you from over eating! Good luck.

As a Type 1 Diabetic, I always watch everything I eat and am very aware of intake. So I understand at least in part. Yes, there are sugar-free desserts, but even I don't usually eat those, mainly because I've never been able to figure out the carb count on them (it's easier on the other desserts oddly). I usually stick with the fruit and cheese. I believe if you talk to the Maitre-D, they will be able to work with you. Also, 6 small meals have always worked better for me than 3 large, and I believe that's one of the options your doctor will talk to you about. I used to carry a carb book with me for easy reference. Your dietitian should be able to help you with this.

Good for you!

I had RNY march 2015, and sailed twice. I just order really small portions, let the waiter know, and keep an eye everything I eat. Breakfast I always ate on the lido deck: hard boiled egg or poached egg and fruit. Lunch was where-ever I was, just the protein of the meal and dinner I ate what I could, and let the rest go. as long as you go protein first and don't drink up to 30 min after eating you will be fine.

I had RNY march 2015, and sailed twice. I just order really small portions, let the waiter know, and keep an eye everything I eat. Breakfast I always ate on the lido deck: hard boiled egg or poached egg and fruit. Lunch was where-ever I was, just the protein of the meal and dinner I ate what I could, and let the rest go. as long as you go protein first and don't drink up to 30 min after eating you will be fine.

RNY November of 2010.

There has been some very good info posted but the above comment is the best.

Protein first.

By the time I was a year out I could get my daily protein from food and did not have to bother with protein supplements.

Cruises are the easiest as you have plenty good food choices all day long. And choices are the operative word. Where ever you are you have to make the choice.

Since you plan a cruise as a two year post surgery reward, you will be fine and very well adept at what and how much work for you. Your choice to follow what you know works or fall off the wagon.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on making a life changing choice.

There's usually a sugar free or no sugar added dessert, and there's always fruit or a cheese plate. Plan your eating strategy ahead of time, don't worry about ordering something and leaving most of it on the plate - just smile and tell the wait staff that you're watching your diet, no explanation needed. Just eat as normal, get your protein in, ask for sauces on the side when possible. I would order an appetizer, eat a couple of bites and then my husband would finish it. Order a main course, eat about a third of it, sometimes he'd eat some of it, sometimes not. The first night the waiter asks if he can get me something else, did I not like the dinner, but I just tell them everything was great and I'm just watching my diet. After that they don't say anything else - one of the reasons we like the traditional dining. There's iced tea and lemonade in the buffet area - mix a little lemonade in a glass of tea, the lemonade is too sweet, the tea is bad without something in it. Just a little lemonade makes it drinkable without much sugar.

Good luck!

I love Arnold Palmers, I didn't know if the lemonade is too much sugar to cause dumping? I guess everyone is different, though. I'll hopefully know by then what I can eat... I'm thinking either we go February/March of 2019 or September of 2019... depending on when I lose the weight. I want to be down to my goal so I can feel good about myself (or at least down to the weight I was in High School - 170 lbs) in a bathing suit. But thank you for the advice!

You can go to the dining room when you embark and let them know you have special dietary needs, IE low/no sugar, etc. They will give you the menu for the next evening at the end of the night so that you can preplanning your meals.

Don't be afraid to special order! They want you to be happy with your meal and your choices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'll make sure to do this!

Congratulations on your decision. It is almost 2 years since my Gastric Sleeve and I feel great. I have been on 3 cruises since my surgery and have not had any issues with food selection. I pre-order several cases of water and just drink that during the cruise. I stay away from dairy products because they seem to fill me up quicker. My best advise is to not drink anything 30 minutes before or after you eat. I have followed this rule and not been sick once. The waiter will ask you about not eating all of your food. As other stated, just tell them you are watching your diet. Good Luck.

Congrats on your decision! I had a LAP band, was recently revised to sleeve. Order the protein that you want, and then portion it on your plate -- cut it in half, and put the other half aside, so you don't eat it absentmindedly & end up paying for it. Fish is your friend. Pass on the steakhouse. I'm sure it's delicious but beef can be challenging. Follow your rules... ask the server to take the water or the bread away, whatever you need. They'll be happy to do exactly as you request.

I'm taking my sleeve on its first cruise in about three week's time... it's doable! Good luck!

Thank you everyone, such great ideas! I think what I'll do in the MDR is take my bread plate and place it over my water glass and when the waiter goes to remove it I'll let him know that as a person who had surgery I cannot eat and drink simultaneously. I mean I don't care who knows about my surgery... if people wanna judge me then so be it, I'll be proud of my weight loss. This cruise will be to celebrate just that! I'm going to inform our waiters and the Head waiter just so they can make accommodations and don't give me funny looks when I don't finish my food or cannot drink and eat at once, or I only eat the sugar free and low carb options. I want to enjoy myself and if that means divulging then I don't care.... also the Pizza place.... I know pizza isn't something I should be eating, but they say that they have low carb options when it comes to pizza? Has anyone else experienced this? I decided to change the ship I'm going on, so there's no Guy's Burger Joint, it'll be the Carnival Splendor (again) and they have a pizza place, mongolian wok, mexican (my fave!), and a taster bar... which I think is new- and probably the best for bariatrics since it's small servings... maybe? Anyway, thanks again everyone!

I usually try to avoid carbs as much as I can, and had no problems at all on the Magic in August. I ate at Guy's a few times and just got the burger without a bun and ate it with a fork and knife after putting on fixings at the fixings bar. Can't remember if they had lettuce there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone, such great ideas! I think what I'll do in the MDR is take my bread plate and place it over my water glass and when the waiter goes to remove it I'll let him know that as a person who had surgery I cannot eat and drink simultaneously. I mean I don't care who knows about my surgery... if people wanna judge me then so be it, I'll be proud of my weight loss. This cruise will be to celebrate just that! I'm going to inform our waiters and the Head waiter just so they can make accommodations and don't give me funny looks when I don't finish my food or cannot drink and eat at once, or I only eat the sugar free and low carb options. I want to enjoy myself and if that means divulging then I don't care.... also the Pizza place.... I know pizza isn't something I should be eating, but they say that they have low carb options when it comes to pizza? Has anyone else experienced this? I decided to change the ship I'm going on, so there's no Guy's Burger Joint, it'll be the Carnival Splendor (again) and they have a pizza place, mongolian wok, mexican (my fave!), and a taster bar... which I think is new- and probably the best for bariatrics since it's small servings... maybe? Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Been successful taking salad bar items over to the pizza place to be used as toppings.

You can really have anything you want. If you want a burger from guys, I'd just ask for a patty and get some lettuce from the salad bar. The Mongolian wok is a healthy choice for stir fried meat and veggies, just ask for low sodium soy sauce instead of the other sauce options. In the MDR, you can always get enough protein, such as asking for a piece of grilled chicken or salmon. There is always a sugar free option available for dessert, and I believe they always have sugar free ice cream available in the MDR. As others have mentioned, it might be worth special ordering so you can make sure to get the items you want without all of the extras on the plate :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app