Missing Items in Cabin

2Canucks

I'm onboard the Caribbean Princess right now. One couple at our dinner table mentioned they were missing some funds they had put on a shelf in the closet area.

Has anyone else had any items...funds disappear from their cabins?

I've never had this problem and was quite shocked.

Any info you can share would be helpful.

Thank You

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always put our cash in the safe. A friend thought she had lost her purse, but it had fallen behind the life jackets. She's not very tall, so she couldn't see it. It took Princess security about 30 minutes to find it for her. Have your friends look under the life jackets, or they can call Passenger Services desk and someone will come help them look.

A couple items went missing from our cabin on our one and only Carnival cruise years ago. My husband had a ball cap with his college Alma Mater logo on it. A couple of the crew members asked to buy it (don't know why), but because he brought it to cover his bald pate from the sun, he declined to sell it. Lo and behold, it was gone when we returned to our cabin after breakfast one morning. We've never had a problem on a cruise since, but are very careful about securing valuables and special items we don't wish to lose.

I've never left cash or valuables out. It's common sense to lock up valuables when traveling, theft is very common, maybe not so much on cruises but certainly in hotels. It's really not shocking at all. People lose jewelry, cash, electronics to theft on a regular basis due to leaving them unsecured.

I had the opposite a couple years ago. I didn't realize my 2 carat diamond earrings had fallen out of my purse when I was unpacking.

When we returned from dinner, the room steward was waiting for us with the earrings he'd found!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've left a few dollars on the counter. Had it out for room service deliveries. Never had an issue. Tablets generally go into a drawer as the safe is so dang small but have been left on the charger a time or two. Never had a problem. Cabin doors do get propped open when the steward is servicing the room. I wouldn't want to leave anything worth much in plain view as passengers might be tempted. Items like jewelry, wallet, good watch, meds, passports, etc. always get locked in the safe.

Back in 97 when taking my first cruise to Mexico I stopped off and purchased some masks and snorkels for the kids to play with in the swimming pool. I unzipped my luggage in the K-mart parking lot in San Pedro. I placed them on top of everything and then proceeded to the port where I dropped the bags off with the porter at the curb. By the time the bags made it to our rooms later that day the swimming toys were missing.

I also put all valuables in the safe . Years ago my husband thought he left a ten on the table.

I admit I thought someone may have pocketed it. Chalked it up to him being careless ,and moved on.

A few days later when laundry came back from being cleaned there was a envelope with the ten in it! :rolleyes: Felt awful for having thought it was pocketed instead of left in a pocket! Contacted guest services and wrote a nice thank you! Also left a bigger tip ......

Reader

I have never had anything go missing from a cabin. My netbook or tablet sits on the desk every day, and so do my cameras amd my Kindle, unless I have them with me. I guess one good thing is that the desk is far from the cabin door, so things there are not too readily visible.Cash and valuables stay locked in the safe, except for a few singles in a nightstand for room service tips.

We have sailed on Princess 39 times with over 400 days and always leave a stack of singles and fives in the drawer for tips, and they are never any missing.We have also left the safe open numerous times with thousands in cash and jewelry and nothing has ever been missing.

The stewards have a good job. They wouldn't do it if they didn't think that was the case. Princess will fire them in a heartbeat if they think the steward (or other crew or staff) is stealing. It's simply not worth it for the steward to take stuff.

Of course there was that guy on Disney who not only stole a passenger's iPhone but then posted pictures of himself and others using the phone. Of course the pics ended up in the owner's cloud account and the guy got busted. Not real bright but also more of an aberration than a common thing.

We have sailed on Princess 39 times with over 400 days and always leave a stack of singles and fives in the drawer for tips, and they are never any missing.We have also left the safe open numerous times with thousands in cash and jewelry and nothing has ever been missing.
Same here. We have left tip money and even my Rolex in drawers. Once we had to hang up all the bills that had gotten drenched at the beach to dry. It was like we were counterfeiting in our cabin. We have never had issues with anything and, in fact, our stewards are better at finding things that have fallen on the floor or gotten tangled in sheets (earrings, glasses, pills) than we are.

I've left a few dollars on the counter. Had it out for room service deliveries. Never had an issue. Tablets generally go into a drawer as the safe is so dang small but have been left on the charger a time or two. Never had a problem. Cabin doors do get propped open when the steward is servicing the room. I wouldn't want to leave anything worth much in plain view as passengers might be tempted. Items like jewelry, wallet, good watch, meds, passports, etc. always get locked in the safe.

While I am usually careful about money, identification, and most jewelry, I have left my expensive camera out, ipad, iphone, and sometimes fine jewelry. I forgot about the cabin doors being propped open. Thanks for the reminder!!!!! I will be a bit more careful in the future. Fortunately, I have never had an issue.

We have never had a problem on any cruise ship with things missing from the cabin. Any crew member who is caught stealing will be put off at the next port and will have to pay their own way home along with losing their job and being black listed. It simply is not worth it since a lot of them are making more money on the ship than they could at home. Simply being accused puts a black cloud over them.

I've had money taken once by a cabin steward. I had put his tip in an envelope, wrote cabin steward on the envelope and put it inside a book on the dresser. It was NOT in plain view. I had not given it to him because I was still deciding on the amount. We went to dinner and afterwards I went to get the envelope to give to him and it was gone. I consider this stealing. It was still in my possession.. I had not given it to him. He had gone through my personal stuff to find it. He DID have to search for it since it was not in clear view. I was going to pull money back from what was in the envelope. Since I didn't hand it to him it was still mine. That was clearly stealing by going through my stuff and until I hand it to him and say "here this is for you" it was still mine.

Since this was the second time on this cruise that we had had crew steal from us we just chalked it up to never sailing with them again. The first time on this ship was in the MDR. We had each ordered a bottle of wine at lunch. Neither of us finished our bottle. We sent it to storage to hold for dinner. When we asked for it they told us it wasn't there that we must have drank it all. Nope, didn't drink an entire bottle myself at lunch or I wouldn't have made it to dinner. We also had brought on Sparkling Apple Cider for my 8 YO son. Nope, he didn't drink the whole bottle either. I hope the guy that drank it got the runs from all that apple juice.

I have sailed a few times and I can tell you I should be better at keeping stuff out of the eyes of others. I will leave a stack of $1 by the front door for room service or if I am heading down to the bar to get a quick drink. My camera(s) and lenses are always sitting out. So is my fanny pack with money left over from or getting ready for a day in port and will have credit card inside. I choose to believe that Stewart is honest and won't take something that isn't his.