Carnival Panama Canal Crusies

mohawk1129

Looking to sail the Panama Canal in 2018 (not including California)

Does Carnival really have such a limited selection?

Are they just already booked ?

Or I'm I looking to early?

Did you look at the 8 night Miracle sailing from Tampa on April 14 2018 or the 14 night Miracle from Tampa on December 2nd 2018?

Looking to sail the Panama Canal in 2018 (not including California)

Does Carnival really have such a limited selection?

Are they just already booked ?

Or I'm I looking to early?

I assume you're asking about partial canal transit cruises wherein the ship goes through the Atlantic side locks, spends a few hours in the lake the exits back out the Atlantic locks into the Caribbean. Carnival does not do nearly as many of those partial transit cruises as, for example, Holland America or Princess but Carnival does have some scheduled (a couple are "Journeys" itineraries) as others have mentioned.

One reason for Carnival's limited participation in Canal itineraries is that they are, for all intents and purposes, a longer itinerary than Carnival is used to marketing.

Carnival is king of 3,4,5,6 and 7 night cruises. This commands bookings by families and folks with limited time off from work and/or limited financial resources.

Canal cruises start at 10 days and can easily go to 15 or 18 days, depending on the cruise line and the itinerary.

The few 'Full transits' for Carnival are almost always 'repositioning' cruises.

One reason for Carnival's limited participation in Canal itineraries is that they are, for all intents and purposes, a longer itinerary than Carnival is used to marketing.

Carnival is king of 3,4,5,6 and 7 night cruises. This commands bookings by families and folks with limited time off from work and/or limited financial resources.

Canal cruises start at 10 days and can easily go to 15 or 18 days, depending on the cruise line and the itinerary.

The few 'Full transits' for Carnival are almost always 'repositioning' cruises.

You may see a little more of this with the expanded lock system. They could make a habit of doing the equivalent of the winter 2018 sway every couple of years. Personally, I hope they do a few more of those stateside port to San Juan Journeys

We are on a Panama Canal partial transit 14 day out of Galveston in 10/2018.

Looking hard at this as well. Are the "Journeys" really anything special ?

Across all lines that have opened for booking in 2018/9 there's not a lot of difference in prices between full and partial transits right now.

We're less and less enthused about flying these days too ! Not quite sure about Carnival tho' and wish they'd run a promotion with lower deposits ;p

Edited by pspercy

We are booked on the Miracle from Long Beach in January 2018. I think all the full Panama transits go to CA. Why not CA? Long Beach is an easy port!

We have been contemplating this ... However, our drawback is having to fly to or back from the West Coast as we live on the east. If we could do the full transit w/out flying, it would be wonderful. Unfortunately, we aren't retired yet, so B2B isn't an option.