Trip Insurance... Need advice on a good one

Jackie81

Hey everyone. I need some help here. We're planning a family trip coming up in September. SUPER EXCITED. My big sister who is 37 is planning on coming. THIS IS HUGE. A little background, my sister has been sick all our lives, in and out of hospitals with severe asthma, chronic eczema, and life threatening allergies. Because of all of this working against her, she has severe anxiety (mostly due to the eczema and people's stares) ANYWAY, getting her to agree to get out and live life has been challenging all our lives. She saw my pics from our last cruise and she actually wants to go. So now here is the issue... She's been on a new trial shot to help her lung function. When she first started the shot it, her lung function went to 78% which is great for her. She gets her shot once every 2 weeks and the last time she went (Friday) her lung function was down to 60%. She's unsure if maybe its a virus or if her body just isn't responding to the shots anymore. Her Dr. is waiting it out with her, hoping maybe its a virus (it is cold and flu season after all) So, now with that background, we're searching for an insurance company that offers a cancel for any reason. She's looking to PIF in the next month. I'm not sure if this is considered a pre-existing condition, since she has been on medication her whole life. Any advice on who to go through would be great. Also note, she has talked to her Dr about the trip, and as of Friday he did give her the thumbs up that she could still go since its so far off and her lung function can easily improve by then. She's worried that come August, after EVERYTHING is paid for, her Dr will say she can't go. Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

Jackie

Go to Insure My Trip dot com and plug in the information that relates to your sister's circumstances and what she needs to have covered. I think almost all of the insurance offered will only cover preexisting conditions if purchase within somewhere between 7 to 21 days of booking and making the initial deposit payment. Not sure how it works after that but would think that her issues would be considered preexisting. You will need to read through each clause in the details of each policy before deciding on the one that would cover her.

It will probably be quite expensive for her so you will not want to include her in your insurance quote as she will need to have something separate I would think to cover all of her needs. Good Luck!

The insuremytrip site lets you select the features you need and it will show you appropriate policies from various companies to meet your identified needs. You can select "cancel for any reason" as one of the features. The program will give you detailed breakdown of costs and coverages for each policy as well as the quality rating for each company. I always select A or better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my goodness, I found one on insuremytrip through Nationwide. That was incredibly easy and it has good reviews. I'm not putting my sister on ours, I'm just researching for her as she has no idea what she's doing. I'm trying to make this as easy and exciting for her all at the same time. First sign of stress or anxiety, I'm worried she'll bail. lol

I agree with the above (other than the Nationwide info--do not have info on that plan). I've gotten Travel Safe Classic Plus for our last five cruises.

The Cancel For Any Reason coverage is a key for us.

It's easy on that site to compare coverages and prices.

I go through insuremytrip always and have pre-existing conditions (i book insurance within days of making reservations so they are covered, this is key, she will not pay any more because of issues, it is aggregated by age)... I have had a few claims... my biggest was north of $25k as it involved emergency evac on Mississippi River... CSA covered my no issues they were great... had a hospital visit using John Handcock, again great and April we had a rental car claim... they were OK, but slow... the ones I personally had issues with were Travel Guard and Allianz (they argued many parts of claims and refused paying any part of travel delay because we had a glass of wine on the bill)! Hope that helps...

We're planning a family trip coming up in September. SUPER EXCITED. My big sister who is 37 is planning on coming. we're searching for an insurance company that offers a cancel for any reason. She's looking to PIF in the next month. She's worried that come August, after EVERYTHING is paid for, her Dr will say she can't go. Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

I'm not familiar with the terms and conditions of every travel insurance policy, but generally Cancel For Any Reason coverage provides a Future Cruise Credit usually in the range of 70% - 90%... CFAR does not offer a cash refund.

Also speaking generally, purchasing Travel Insurance at the time of booking or within 1-14 days of booking gives you a Waiver of Pre-existing conditions depending on the insurance company and policy.

I'm not familiar with the terms and conditions of every travel insurance policy, but generally Cancel For Any Reason coverage provides a Future Cruise Credit usually in the range of 70% - 90%... CFAR does not offer a cash refund.

Also speaking generally, purchasing Travel Insurance at the time of booking or within 1-14 days of booking gives you a Waiver of Pre-existing conditions depending on the insurance company and policy.

Cancel for any reason purchased through outside (like insuremytrip) usually gives 75% back cash... only CCL insurance gives ship credit. But cancelled for medical reasons is a full refund... provided you buy it within the specified period...

Nationwide Cruise offers a preexisting condition waiver up until final payment date. That's one reason why I like it. The 1-14 day is what I have found on pretty much every other policy as well.

Cancel for any reason purchased through outside (like insuremytrip) usually gives 75% back cash...

So what you are saying is if I had a nice $4995 per person ($10,000) Owners Suite / Haven Suite cruise booked and I paid a hefty $800 to $1000 insurance premium for Cancel For Any Reason coverage and I cancelled a few days before the cruise because I couldn't find someone to watch my dog for the week, there are insurance companies that would write me a check for $7500 cash?