What would you do with a day in Dubrovnik, Croatia??

BBMacLaird

Our Destination Immersion expert / guest blogger, Lee Abbamonte, writes today about "How to spend a day in Dubrovnik". What do you think? Do you have any tips of your own?

"Walking the ramparts is a special experience and the top thing to do in Dubrovnik. I highly recommend getting to the gate before 8am and be the first up the wall so you feel like you have it all to yourself." Lee Abbamonte

Our Destination Immersion expert / guest blogger, Lee Abbamonte, writes today about "How to spend a day in Dubrovnik". What do you think? Do you have any tips of your own?

"Walking the ramparts is a special experience and the top thing to do in Dubrovnik. I highly recommend getting to the gate before 8am and be the first up the wall so you feel like you have it all to yourself." Lee Abbamonte

Read Lee's blog on Twitter, can't wait until we are there on Journey in September :D

I don't think you need to be at the wall by 8:00 am, but before 10:00 is best - it can get hot in the bright sun, and teeming hordes don't make it any easier.

I would skip the "view" restaurant and go to Moby Dick, which features seafood caught that morning. It's on a street (the name of which I've forgotten) above and parallel to the main road.

If you're a wine love, sample the local offerings - Croatia has some great wineries, and, just like in Italy, I don't think you can go wrong with the house offerings.

We haven't been to the peak yet, but I would skip the cable car and hire a cab for the day - we declined that option and regretted it, as the line for the cable car was pretty long by the time we got there (you can't get to everything first thing in the morning!). A cab would have cost something like 50 Euros and would have been money well spent IMO.

Dubrovnik is fabulous!:D

I am curious how Lee knows that he's the youngest American to visit every country.

Take the ferry across to Lokrum Island and enjoy a quiet day on the island. Bring your bathing suit for a swim in the Dead Sea Lake or off the rocks in the Med! We toured the city in the morning, but enjoyed the beauty and tranquility of the island in the afternoon. Wished we could of spent more time at the little outdoor bar near the Lake!

Hi Midwestchick,

The walls are easy walk, a stroll if you like. You can walk at your own pace, stopping to look at the view , chat or take photos. Dubrovnik is beautiful. We will be happy to chat about what we saw when we meet in August.

For something a little different, take a local boat service from the Old Harbour to Cavtat (pronounced Tsavtat). Walk along the harbour and then round the peninsula. Finish off with a beer or two and lunch in one of the tavernas.

I think my Azamara cruise including Dubrovnik (Oct 4 2017) is in jeopardy. I was looking forward to going to Dubrovnik, and just feeling like it might be safe to start planning excursions for this cruise and now our cruise has disappeared. Roll call members are hearing from their TAs the usual tale of possible "itinerary change", but in the past we know what that might mean. :(

What do you hear, Bobbie? Are we going to be able to go to Dubrovnik with Azamara, or has Quest been chartered again, leaving those of us who committed our deposits (and its earned interest) out of luck? Could you please see what you can find out?

Edited by Familygoboston

I think my Azamara cruise including Dubrovnik (Oct 4 2017) is in jeopardy. I was looking forward to going to Dubrovnik, and just feeling like it might be safe to start planning excursions for this cruise and now our cruise has disappeared. Roll call members are hearing from their TAs the usual tale of possible "itinerary change", but in the past we know what that might mean. :(

What do you hear, Bobbie? Are we going to be able to go to Dubrovnik with Azamara, or has Quest been chartered again, leaving those of us who committed our deposits (and its earned interest) out of luck? Could you please see what you can find out?

We had a b2b booked....our Sept. 26 cruise is gone now too. :eek: :mad: :mad:

I'm going to call and find out what's going on.

Get the cable car to the summit and have a beer or coffee at the cafe up there, taking in the view. In Sept 2014, when we visited on Royal Clipper, we had no wait to go up there, and only a short wait to come down. The cafe wasn't crowded, despite there being other ships in port.

Edited by Wacktle
Ooops - it was 2014, not 2015 - time flies!

Get the cable car to the summit and have a beer or coffee at the cafe up there, taking in the view. In Sept 2014, when we visited on Royal Clipper, we had no wait to go up there, and only a short wait to come down. The cafe wasn't crowded, despite there being other ships in port.

Now you're talking. :D. Is it a steep climb up?

I visited Dubrovnik with another line (HAL) and they had a wonderful kayaking excursion that took us out to Lokrum island where the guide shared about it's history and was open to all sorts of questions about the island and Dubrovnik. Then we went to a secluded pebble beach in a cave for a picnic lunch and snorkeling. It was great to paddle around and see the city from this perspective and it was very enjoyable.

When the excursion ended we took the cable car to the top for the view which was well worth it. Then we wandered around in the walled city part for awhile. It was very hot and I was tired from kayaking so I didn't walk on the walls but there is always next time!