Reimagined Azamara - some random thoughts

excitedofharpenden

Not long back from a 15 night transatlantic on Journey I thought I'd give some thoughts on the "new" ship. I'd been watching the refurbishment via the Facebook pictures posted by both Captain Johannes and HD Heike Berdos and was very anxious to see the work for myself.

The public areas of the ship with new carpets and in the majority of the spaces, either new or recovered furniture looks much lighter, more modern and gives an airier feel. The Guest Relations and Land Discoveries desks on deck 4 sport smarter counter tops and the Loyalty and Future Cruise desks (there are now two of them) are a lot more private.

Two areas of the ship that I particularly liked were the Living Room (Looking Glass as was) and the Pool Grill area now known as the Patio. The Living Room has transformed the space up on deck 10 and with coffee and snacks available during the day and afternoon tea and scones it is a much nicer and warmer feeling place to be. The Patio served excellent meals in the evening. We ate there a couple of times and weren't disappointed. The food comes out hot and there is a good variety. Having the patio heaters there now if it's a bit cool makes a big difference too.

I toured the ship before we set sail and thought all the cabins I saw looked much better in their new clothes. Very smart. I still question why they left some of the old electrical switches, sockets and room thermostats in place. They look horribly yellow and out of keeping with the rest of the smartness. I had mixed feelings about my cabin. I was in one of the Club World Owner's Suites and whilst nicely decorated there were some issues being new, mainly the leaky walk in shower. I understand a redesign on Quest and remedial work on Journey to sort out the problem. If I was honest the overall cabin feel was a disappointment. The lighting hasn't been upgraded at all and it's poor. I'm not sure if there is more work to do here. There needs to be to make it good. The bathroom had no magnifying mirror and no storage whatsoever so all your toiletries are spread around on open shelves and on top of the sink. I missed the jacuzzi tub. It's now just a soaking tub. The new TVs in the room however are a big improvement and there is more storage in the cabin than you ever need, both living area and bedroom. I never did find a USB socket in the room, but had my adaptor with me for the purpose so no problem. They've left the chintzy wall lights by the bed and I think they look awful. The suites on the other side have table lamps and look much better.

The Drawing Room has been left alone and still has the painted ceilings and dark wood cabinetry. The carpet is new and I'm glad they resisted doing any more. The Spa area has been transformed. The T-Pool area at the front has been overhauled and the decking replaced, but to all intents and purposes it looks the same as before. They have done away with the canopy that used to be on the Pool Deck as it was never used for its purpose if a massage in the open. I like the new look of the new Pool and Sunset Bars and the seating on the back deck outside Windows is comfortable and it's easier to move through because the chairs and tables don't take up so much space and are easier to move.

Overall I think they have done an excellent job with a few bits and pieces to be attended to now the ship is in Europe.

Phil

Thanks for your efforts, Phil. I agree with your assessment, on the whole an improvement. The Living Room a huge success; we were there very, very often. Owner's Suite, not lovin' it so much for the reasons you pointed out. In fact, when we book in the future, we will look into a downgrade, although I must admit, I still love all the space, and that, in the end, is what we paid our money for. Looking forward to seeing you again sometime.

Thanks for your interesting assessment Phil,

As I am not likely to be in a Club Owners Suite any time soon the shortcomings you mention will not affect me personally though they do sound disappointing. Not sure why there wouldn't be a magnifying mirror in the bathroom although this is something which can be easily rectified.

However, as you know I am very enthusiastic about the new Living Room and the Patio and think the former could displace Mosaic by becoming my new favourite place on board.

Shall we meet for tea and scones and/or tapas on June 16?

As I am not likely to be in a Club Owners Suite any time soon the shortcomings you mention will not affect me personally though they do sound disappointing. Not sure why there wouldn't be a magnifying mirror in the bathroom although this is something which can be easily rectified.

All the cabins/bathrooms look lovely and the bedding and pillows are a great improvement.

Phil

Thank you for a good assessment and review. Looking forward to enjoying the new Patio and Living Room.

BTW. One tip: There is usually a USB socket in the back of the TV. Can be used as a charger in lack of other solutions.

Edited by oddjob16

Not long back from a 15 night transatlantic on Journey I thought I'd give some thoughts on the "new" ship. I'd been watching the refurbishment via the Facebook pictures posted by both Captain Johannes and HD Heike Berdos and was very anxious to see the work for myself.

I also saw great pictures by Jose.

The public areas of the ship with new carpets and in the majority of the spaces, either new or recovered furniture looks much lighter, more modern and gives an airier feel. The Guest Relations and Land Discoveries desks on deck 4 sport smarter counter tops and the Loyalty and Future Cruise desks (there are now two of them) are a lot more private.

The Loyalty manager loves the space but told me her asst has to get up and turn around to see people waiting as there are not chairs near her to wait.. I enjoyed sitting on both the wait chairs and the new guest chairs.. I was missing a cruise so had to stop by a few times to get it added in.

Two areas of the ship that I particularly liked were the Living Room (Looking Glass as was) and the Pool Grill area now known as the Patio. The Living Room has transformed the space up on deck 10 and with coffee and snacks available during the day and afternoon tea and scones it is a much nicer and warmer feeling place to be.

Please add in the yummy Tapas. this was my favorite redone space with the creams and purples etc. . late night the lighting was to dark. had trouble seeing big time to get in and to see the steps. that was to be fixed and hoped it was. The Patio served excellent meals in the evening. We ate there a couple of times and weren't disappointed. The food comes out hot and there is a good variety. Having the patio heaters there now if it's a bit cool makes a big difference too.

I did not luck out with the fish and did not like either soup. no one suggested to add to my meal by getting food from buffet.. also it was very hot and we needed fans. i think this area could work if they tell you get food from the buffet to add to your main.

I toured the ship before we set sail and thought all the cabins I saw looked much better in their new clothes. Very smart. I still question why they left some of the old electrical switches, sockets and room thermostats in place. They look horribly yellow and out of keeping with the rest of the smartness.I was in a bathtub CC. one switch that had been by balcony door was now by the main door. took me a while to find it to turn off the light. every other switch was new in my cabin..

I had mixed feelings about my cabin. I was in one of the Club World Owner's Suites and whilst nicely decorated there were some issues being new, mainly the leaky walk in shower. I understand a redesign on Quest and remedial work on Journey to sort out the problem. The problem was there also in a bathtub cabin. water came up the drain several times onto the floor.

If I was honest the overall cabin feel was a disappointment. The lighting hasn't been upgraded at all and it's poor. I'm not sure if there is more work to do here. There needs to be to make it good. The bathroom had no magnifying mirror and no storage whatsoever so all your toiletries are spread around on open shelves and on top of the sink. I learned that all large cabins were missing them. my cabin had one. .it became the hand towel rack as it was the only place to put it. I use to leave one on the missing counter. the new sinks/counters take away space that i used daily for products. i personally do not like all this open storage and hid things everywhere. only a few things were left out

I missed the jacuzzi tub. It's now just a soaking tub. The new TVs in the room however are a big improvement and there is more storage in the cabin than you ever need, both living area and bedroom. I never did find a USB socket in the room, but had my adaptor with me for the purpose so no problem. They've left the chintzy wall lights by the bed and I think they look awful. The suites on the other side have table lamps and look much better.

If not for my butler I would not know where mine were.they were in the fixtures by the bedside lights. which i have to get out of bed to turn on/off. .out of my reach.

The Drawing Room has been left alone and still has the painted ceilings and dark wood cabinetry. The carpet is new and I'm glad they resisted doing any more. I heard they might replace the chairs.. not sure here at all.

The Spa area has been transformed. The T-Pool area at the front has been overhauled and the decking replaced, but to all intents and purposes it looks the same as before. They have done away with the canopy that used to be on the Pool Deck as it was never used for its purpose if a massage in the open. I like the new look of the new Pool and Sunset Bars and the seating on the back deck outside Windows is comfortable and it's easier to move through because the chairs and tables don't take up so much space and are easier to move.

Overall I think they have done an excellent job with a few bits and pieces to be attended to now the ship is in Europe.

Phil

over all the ship looks good. Phil calls it light and airy. .to me it is earth tones and gray.. not the brights colors i think of on a ship.. would of like to see shades of blue and yellows to remind people of the sea.. even pops of color are missing. my favorite room is the LR. . I was there most nights to hear Simon and get Tapas.

I think this is a very fair assessment Phil.

As we reported we had shower flooding issues in our CC suite and it was found that some areas "down the line" had been sealed which should not have been and there was backflow. I fear there will be a few of these "floods" whilst they snag out the problems.

Unlike Robin, we had fantastic meals at the Patio including fish, but yes, some of the wait staff were not making it clear that the buffet could be used to supplement course choices - a small training issue which I am sure will get dealt with.

It is surprising how light Azamara ships now are even though the window sizes are the same as before.

I think this is a very fair assessment Phil.

As we reported we had shower flooding issues in our CC suite and it was found that some areas "down the line" had been sealed which should not have been and there was backflow. I fear there will be a few of these "floods" whilst they snag out the problems.

Unlike Robin, we had fantastic meals at the Patio including fish, but yes, some of the wait staff were not making it clear that the buffet could be used to supplement course choices - a small training issue which I am sure will get dealt with.

It is surprising how light Azamara ships now are even though the window sizes are the same as before.

Ann, the first time I had the fish there it was good but as far as cooking correctly but no flavor. The second time there were 3 of us and 2 of us hated the fish-just no flavor at all. not even peppers. the baked potato was raw and cold.. i agree training will help . I think it was a night i was not in lvoe with the buffet but i should of looked for starters or fruit. In general people love it so iwill try again this summer./COLOR]

The Azamara website still says "whirlpool tub and shower" for the larger suites.

I hope the lamps have been replaced when I get on, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be and a needlework lamp is heavy to carry around.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your insights. I never had the chance to see the Club World Owners Suite on Journey, after the Drydock in January - which was one of the very few disappointments we had onboard Journey. Overall, our cruise was outstanding !

From your observations, it sounds like there's some work to be done in the CW Suites - but knowing Azamara, I suspect they will appreciate insights like yours, and make it happen. Also agree that the Living Room and Patio were some excellent upgrades. As I mentioned in my Live from thread, I think the Living Room will prove to be one of the more important upgrades to the ship, and will be greatly enjoyed by Azamara's guests.

Thanks again for your insights, and welcome home !

I hope the lamps have been replaced when I get on, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be and a needlework lamp is heavy to carry around.

I always travel with an led headlamp. It's my flashlight, emergency light, and reading light. Hotels always use the lowest wattage possible, it seems. I have a nice adjustable one - can angle the light where I need it.

Phil - can you tell us please if the orange juice machine in Windows is now up and running? On our Panama cruise in Feb they were waiting for a spare part for it so there was no freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast in Windows.

We were on the same cruise as Phil. DH thinks it was freshly squeezed BUT he is no expert. All I can confirm is it tasted like that to him :)

We were on this cruise as well..and based on being a "So Cal Gal"...close to the oranges ...I think it was!!! :D LuAnn