Azamara's Entertainers!

BBMacLaird

One of our frequent guest bloggers, Ann Tran, is onboard the Quest. She's written today about Russ Grieve and the onboard entertainment..."There is such a wide range of entertainment throughout the cruise, including magic, comedy, and dance. No matter your taste, Russ has the entertainment to keep you smiling while cruising on the Quest."

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT: CAPTIVATING PERFORMANCES ON AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES

What do you think? Have you sailed with Russ?

We've enjoyed the many times we've sailed with Russ. But I'm sitting here trying to find the perfect words to describe him. Talented and charming spring to mind immediately. But there are lots of talented and charming people out there.

What sets Russ apart is that he is real. Sincerity is hard to fake all day and well into the night. Russ doesn't have to. He's a "people person" in the best sense of that overused phrase. You know the other kind: the guy who is talking to you and glancing over your shoulder at the rest of the room.

Russ is a genuinely nice guy and we'd be happy to sail with him again.

We've enjoyed the many times we've sailed with Russ. But I'm sitting here trying to find the perfect words to describe him. Talented and charming spring to mind immediately. But there are lots of talented and charming people out there.

What sets Russ apart is that he is real. Sincerity is hard to fake all day and well into the night. Russ doesn't have to. He's a "people person" in the best sense of that overused phrase. You know the other kind: the guy who is talking to you and glancing over your shoulder at the rest of the room.

Russ is a genuinely nice guy and we'd be happy to sail with him again.

I agree. I don't know how he maintains the energy and enthusiasm, except he loves what he does. Russ is one of those people who when he talks to you makes you feel at that moment you are the one person who is important.

Phil

Couldn't agree more. Russ is a genuinely nice guy, interested in everyone and so talented. I don't know where he gets his White Night energy from either! :)

He makes an Azamara cruise even more special.....and the crew love him as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this entry and couldn't help myself. My impression of Russ is identical to that expressed by Excitedofharpenden. He's a multi talented performer with boundless energy. Coupling that with a desire to please and a personality that allows him to spend a great deal of time with the guests. It's all genuine.

You couldn't ask for a better cruise director.

I agree with the comments about Russ, but I could not choose between him and Eric de Gray as to who is the best. I am just happy to have sailed with both of them.

We could not agree more with mrMojoRisin , Russ & Eric are both superb in their own individual ways .

Ann & Richard .

We all have our favorites :), but there are three Cruise Directors and I think they are all fantastic. Azamara are lucky to have them :D

Yes, all are absolutely great and I'm happy to be on board with any of them

One of the highlights of my first Azamara cruise was when Russ asked me to dance with him at the White Nights party. The consummate host and a fabulous dancer!

I also was asked to dance with Russ at the White Nights party. Such a great memory. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We disembarked Quest a week ago, and the entertainment was uniformly excellent, a far cry from Azamara's early days. Russ was everywhere on the ship (does he have a twin or triplets?), always upbeat and always willing to talk to passengers at length. We made a point of trying to get to every show, but failed a couple of times due to exhaustion and complimentary wine.:eek:

The piano player and guitarist were also excellent - Max had a repertoire that I've only seen once or twice on a ship. I don't think we heard the same playset twice in 13 nights. Sadly, his was one of the main shows we missed. And Russ had to rest his vocal chords so didn't do his solo show.:(

We have been mainly on Quest with Russ as the Cruise Director and would endorse the comments, by far the best director we have had. Can't speak about Eric as we have not met him. Unfortunately we had Tony at Christmas and were not impressed at all. Sadly we have him on our next cruise..

Can I say that I was also not an immediate fan of Tony on my first Az cruise with him as CD in 2010. I thought he was talented but I cannot say I warmed to him as a person. How wrong was I? The answer is VERY wrong! I have got to know him over the years and what a lovely man he is. He is VERY intelligent with a quirky sense of humour that I get. If you have ever managed to understand his Wat Tyler joke then you would know what I mean.

Give him a chance....have a chat to him away from when he has to be his CD persona and you will see what I mean. He is a very nice man and I know he regularly reads this forum too, so Hi Tony! :)

We wholeheartedly endorse Lottie A's comments.

Tony is a wonderful CD and a great asset for Azamara.

He is talented & erudite. And you can have the most intelligent, amusing & interesting conversations with him.

Azamara are indeed very fortunate to have three such different, but all equally amazing, Cruise Directors.

( Vaguelyinterestedofripon ...if you're reading this, Tony, then you'll know who we are!)

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Can I say that I was also not an immediate fan of Tony on my first Az cruise with him as CD in 2010. I thought he was talented but I cannot say I warmed to him as a person. How wrong was I? The answer is VERY wrong! I have got to know him over the years and what a lovely man he is. He is VERY intelligent with a quirky sense of humour that I get. If you have ever managed to understand his Wat Tyler joke then you would know what I mean.

Give him a chance....have a chat to him away from when he has to be his CD persona and you will see what I mean. He is a very nice man and I know he regularly reads this forum too, so Hi Tony! :)

And if he's brought his wife on board with him, you are in for a real treat. She is a wonderful vocalist.